Separate bedrooms?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by JoannaD, Feb 23, 2013.

1. JoannaD

JoannaD Well-Known Member

Are your same sex twins in the same bedroom or separate bedrooms? My twins are currently in the same room, but I'm starting to think that we'll need to separate them when we move them to toddler/twin beds. Right now, it usually takes them half an hour to an hour to fall asleep after we put them to bed because they're too busy talking, singing, laughing, passing stuffed animals back and forth, etc. It hasn't phased me much because they're contained to their cribs, so they can't get into anything and they eventually fall asleep. But I'm terrified for when we move them to toddler beds. I'm afraid they'll never fall asleep since they'll have more freedom. I figure if we keep them in the same room, we'll clear everything out except their beds, so hopefully they can't get into too much trouble. They're better at naptime because I separate them if they don't settle down right away and go to sleep. I have to separate them about 2-3 days a week.

I had this vision of the boys sharing a room until they asked for separate bedrooms and sharing a bedroom helping to make their bond even stronger. But I'm really thinking we'll need to separate them when they switch to toddler beds just to get them to go to sleep.

So at what age did you separate your same sex twins? Why did you separate them? If you kept them in the same room, any tips or experience for getting them to go to sleep without too much crazy party time in their room?

2. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

Mine are still sharing a room at almost 8 and always have. You just have to be consistent with bed time being bed time, not play time. I don't remember having too much trouble with mine but I didn't keep toys in their room either at that age.

3. Silly_Putty

Silly_Putty Well-Known Member

We're in the exact same boat except they never get separated. And mine are boy/girl. Awaiting answers!! haha

4. jolcia17

jolcia17 Well-Known Member

We will be there soon...I think this is one of my biggest fears as well since I read so many posts on here about parents having issues with that. Also hoping to read some good answers on here :)

Ps. If in the same room is it better to have two seperate twin beds or one bigger one that they can share? I'm just not sure if ill fit two beds in there.

5. mommymauro

mommymauro Well-Known Member

This is a little extreme… BUT… I moved to separate them.. they were still in cribs when I did (2 ½)… I did it so they would have their own individual space… I was hypersensitive to the fact they were ID and wouldn’t ever feel like “Seth” or “Nathan” but as SethAndNathan… NOW I am so glad we did… but not for the reasons I thought… when we go on vacation (we own this tiny condo in Steamboat, Co) they HAVE to share a room… and I have ended every vacation early due to the lack of sleep I get… they think it’s a party ALL NIGHT LONG… no fun… an offer for a long term renter came up and I jumped… I don’t want to experience THAT again… and now I have an excuse to vacation some place with more bedrooms

My neighbor who has ID 8 year old boys told me (who have separate bedrooms) that her boys have “sleepovers” all the time in each other rooms… and I think (when they are older) I will have a sleep over policy if they are so strongly bonded they want to be together…

Good luck with whatever decision you make

6. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

The transition from cribs to toddler beds is always tough for at least 3 months. It's a phase. And you just have to due with it. Set the rules and punishments and be strong on it. Yes, they will party at nap time and bedtime and skip naps,.. But that phase will pass. Personally, I don't see why you need to separate them just for the reason. We got rid of the crib at 17-18 months. now My kids still share rooms (bed room, playroom). There is no way they want to be separated. They ask for each other after even 5 mins they don't see each other. They go to same classes for preschool, gym,...My kids are best friends forever. Gl!

7. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Mine are still together and will be until they ask for their own room. It will be a pain to split them, involving moving heavy furniture, so we're not in any rush... It's a pain, not going to lie, but at this point they'd just go in the hallway or end up in each other's room anyway.

8. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Mine are B/G and 3 1/2 and still share a room. We switched to toddler beds just after they turned 2, and it was an adjustment for a short period of time, but over time they figured it out. Now they talk for a little while after bedtime but go to sleep on their own without any issue. I think you do what works best for your family. We only have 3 bedrooms upstairs and 3 kids, so it made sense to keep them together and the baby has her own room. When the switch first happens, they will push their limits whether they are together or separate, but if you are consistent and take out all the distractions, they will eventually figure out to go to sleep. Good luck with your decision!

9. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Our B/G twins are still together at 3.5 years; we only have 2 bedrooms and can't separate them, at least not without finishing our attic - and they are too young to sleep up there alone anyway. We transitioned them out of cribs/co-sleeping around 2 y 4 m and it was not really bad at bedtime - they may surprise you. We continued to co-sleep for naps (or quiet time) because we all enjoy the reading and bonding and cuddling that comes with co-sleeping; occasionally they want to nap in their room, some days they really do snuggle down and nap, some days it does not work.

I agree with PPs that minimizing distractions in their room and consistent bedtime routines and rules are key to the transition into toddler beds whether you separate them or keep them together.

10. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add from the singleton perspective that separating them might not fix this issue. It took a few months to get my oldest to settle down to sleep quickly at night after we moved her out of her crib. I know that it will likely be worse with the twins when we get to that point but I have no way to separate them so we will just have to deal. Currentl, the only furniture in Vivi's room is her bed and an ottoman. When we get to this point with the twins, the furniture will go in her room and the twins will just have their beds.

11. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

My kids are almost 2 and a half, boy/girl and they are still in cribs. I had the idea that they have to be in the same room - they have their names in wooden letters on the wall behind the cribs - my idea was that they will share a room until they ask to be separated or something like that. Well, between 12-18 months it became horrible with falling asleep at night, at naptime they were separated anyway. So at 18 months I gave up on my fantasy and I separated them and it became SO much better. Even if they take a while to fall asleep they don't keep each other up. I hope we can still keep them in cribs for a while, the mattersses are on the floor now and they sleep in sleep sacks with the zipper backwards, this way they can't unzip the sleep sacks.

12. londonj

londonj Member

We just went through this a month ago! We seperated our g/g twins (they are almost 2.5 years old) and it's working out really well so I'm glad we made the change. I too felt like I wanted to keep them together for the bonding etc but they were waking each other up during the night and I felt anxious going into their room at night to soothe one if she woke since I was so afraid of the other one waking when I was in there. And the seperation has helped the mornings and nap time too. The bonding is actually really cute now since they hug and kiss each other good night before going to their own rooms! I also wanted them to adjust to this change before we moved them to big beds which is still a few months down the road. One change at a time! Once they are older and want to have sleep overs together then that's fine, but for now they are seperate and we're all a little happier and better rested! Good luck.

13. Lbarsamian

Lbarsamian Member

I'm in the same boat. I have 3 year old boy/girl twins, currently in same room and still in cribs. We have two twin beds that we are ready to put in their room, but contemplating whether to separate them now or not. We have an extra room, but I keep thinking we keep them together for the bonding, etc. Plus I'm already nervous with transitioning to beds and fact that naps may start to disappear, that I'm wondering if the transition to beds and new bedroom would be too much change??? BTW, how do you instill quiet time when naps start disappearing and when did your naps disappear?