Sensitivity to Sound

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Birchbeer6, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Birchbeer6

Birchbeer6 Well-Known Member

Lately seems like my DD is sensitive to sound....she use to love when I vacuummed now she screams for me to stop and she covers her ears...(not all the time) toilets flushing, hand dryers.....Should I be concerned???

2. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Jake has always been like that. I have to warn him when I'm going to turn on the garbage disposal or flush the toliet (esp at public restrooms). He had his hearing tested as an infant (9 months) but nothing came from it.

How long has she been reacting like this? If it's just a few days/weeks, she may have an ear infection. If it's been months, I have no idea. Jake is really jumpy, but honestly, so am I.

3. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

I know a lot of OT's (Occupational Therapist) and one told me that we all have sensory needs/sensitivities as children and usually outgrow them...I hated vacuums, blow dryers, and toilets as a child...don't bother me at all now :)

4. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I have a friend whose daughter has substantial sensory issues--actually on the autism spectrum. She has to wear headphones to cancel noise in busy places and can probably never live in a big city. If you are concerned, have it checked out. That said, I think it's fairly normal. I only mention checking it out because my friend was told things were normal forever and they weren't. So I always think it's a good idea to get an opinion when in doubt.

5. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Sabrina was like that for the longest time. Those kinds of noises would have her in hysterical tears. She still hates the hand dryers in most public restrooms, and the very loud toilettes in some of them. And even still I give her a warning when I'm going to vacuum or use the steam cleaner, because if she's not paying attention and gets startled by them, she'll be in tears. But it's soooo much better than it used to be. It's only been in the last couple of months (and she's 5) that she's been willing to touch the vacuum when it's going. Loud siblings never bothered her at all, it's just the mechanical kinds of noises.

6. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

My oldest wears head phones. He is not on the autism spectrum but he does not like loud sounds, they physically bother him. The hair dryer, the coffee grinder, movies, alarms, etc. What we do is we warn him when there is going to be a loud noise. This allows him to cover his ears or find his head phones. DH picked up a pair of headphones specific for little kids. when I get home I will update with the brand.

7. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Nate is like this. He says "what's that sound?" for just about anything he hears, and he is scared/fascinated by almost any machine (vacuum, RC toy, stand mixer, coffee grinder, etc.). He'll cry if you turn on an appliance without warning him, and we can't even turn on the RC dinos that the boys were given for Xmas. :( I think this is a pretty normal phase for some kids. Jack isn't really bothered too much by noises. :pardon:

That being said, my SIL's DS is on the autism spectrum and is also very sensitive to noises. He is 5 and has screaming fits that last 45-60 minutes when he hears certain noises, so it was very obvious to his parent that something was wrong.

If you're concerned, I'd definitely ask your ped. He/she might reassure you or recommend further investigation. :)