Sending fruit in school lunch

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by debid, Sep 20, 2010.

1. debid

debid Well-Known Member

Just an FYI since Fall is arriving... You can keep cut apples and pears from browning by putting a tsp of Fruit Fresh into a bag, adding a tblsp of water, and shaking the fruit slices to coat. I have Gala apples I did this with on Saturday morning and they still look like I just cut them. It's just ascorbic acid so no weird chemicals and it doesn't affect the flavor like lemon juice will.

2 people like this.
  2. mnellson

mnellson Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip! Can buy it at the grocery store? Both of my big girls are currently missing their two front teeth (which is so cute!) and we are going apple picking soon.

3. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

I've never heard of it, but I'm going to look for it. Sounds like something we could use!

4. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Great tip! Thanks!

5. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

Where do you get it?

6. Debb-i

Debb-i Well-Known Member

Been using "Fruit Fresh" for years! Love it. Can't imagine serving cut apples any other way. I'm always surprised how many people don't know about it. I'm thinking that they NEVER advertise the product.

I find it at my local grocery store. It's next to mason jars and canning supplies..applesauce section also nearby. Oddly, its in the same aisle as all baby supplies...diapers,etc.

7. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

My mom used to do that with apples when she packed them for me when I was in school! Thanks for sharing!

8. Juj

Juj Well-Known Member

:thanks:

9. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I had a mom friend over and she saw me treating the apples and asked about it. She has kids in middle school and had never heard of it so I thought maybe it's not so well known. I find Fruit Fresh by the canning supplies in season and by the unflavored gelatin, tapioca, and canned pie fillings year round. It's about $4 for a little container but it goes a long way. If you consider that pre-cut and treated apples are $2.50/14 oz. bag, it's a BARGAIN. I make up a gallon bag at a time so the kids have ready-made snacks. It also works on peaches.

10. Sandy005

Sandy005 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip .. it's added to my next shopping list!

11. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

woo hoo! Great tip! Thanks! I've never heard of it.

12. Tivanni

Tivanni Well-Known Member

I normally use the lemon trick...will have to look for this next time I go to the grocery store! Thanks for posting!

13. Username

Username Well-Known Member

When I cut apple slices up I use the little apple cutter/corer tool that you press down to make all the slices the same size. (geez, have I got a way with words!) Then I leave the core attached and pack it in a bag so it looks like a regular unsliced apple. Without any of the inside flesh touching air it doesn't turn brown.

I can't think of any other fruit my kids eat sliced that would get brown.

14. Tivanni

What a neat trick! I need to do that when we go on road trips!

1 person likes this.
  15. Tivanni

Would WalMart or Target carry Fruit Fresh or a grocery store like Harris Teeter? I looked at Target but apparently not the right section if they do have it. :)

16. debid

debid Well-Known Member

WalMart has it (at least the ones around here since they all have a full grocery store now).

17. allgood2000

allgood2000 Well-Known Member

I Love Fruit Fresh! Just FYI, pineapple juice does the same thing and doesn't taste funky like lemon juice. I often make a large bowl of cut fruit and add one can of pineapple chunks. Stir it all together and nothing turns brown. It will last for a few days that way. :)