Second Pregnancy with Twins

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by michelleharvill, Apr 15, 2009.

1. michelleharvill

michelleharvill New Member

I am a new member and am just learning how to use this website. I am 11 weeks pregnant with Twins. This is my second pregnancy, so the twins will have an 6 yr old brother come October. I just wanted to know if there are others out there who are going through the same scenario as me? I have been exhausted lately and feeling oh so sick. This is my first time to not work in my lifetime and I am feeling a bit of guilt being so tired and not having any energy. We are about to make a big move to a different state in a couple of mths with my husbands new job. My son will have to start a new school and the thought of being settled in before October is nerve racking. I am hoping come 12-14 weeks, I will start to feel better but who knows. I am 37 now where I was only 30 when I had my first child. This time is much different. I hear it only gets better...ha ha...Well, words of wisdom are welcome!

Soon to be a mom of three!

Michelle

2. newpairofschus

newpairofschus Well-Known Member

Hi and :welcome: !!!! You're in the right place if you are looking for other people that can empathize with you! :grouphug: You'll find a myriad of symptoms, complaints, fears, and joys here, but rest assured that whatever you are feeling, someone else has been there!

The biggest thing I could tell you about this twin gig is NEVER to compare it to your singleton pregnancy. They are not in the same league, so erase everything you *thought* you knew about being pregnant. As almost everything is double w/ twins, so can be the challenge. Just listen to your body and your doctor. Please don't try to be a superhero and push your limits. That's the best way to make it to the end with you and your babies safe and healthy. The other big thing I've learned during this pregnancy? How to LET GO of control. It's been quite a challenge to just relinquish to the fact that you will have to rely on others more than you probably ever have, but it's so worth it in the long run.

Congratulations to you and your family! I hope you have an uneventful, happy pregnancy!!!

Eve

3. faustjena

faustjena Well-Known Member

Hi, and welcome! This is a fantastic place to learn all about the twin world and receive support from ladies all over the globe.

I have a 19 month old son and am due August 9, so I understand needing to take care of another child. I have also been very sick this pregnancy and it's overall very different than my singleton pregnancy.

You body is going through SO MUCH so please let go of any guilt are feeling. You will probably need some help, even if you have to pay someone if you end up moving and don't know anyone.

Try to remember you are so much stronger than you realize and this experience will prove that to you!!

You are lucky at least your child is school age!

Good luck!!

4. scorpion509

scorpion509 Well-Known Member

Welcome to TS and congratulation !!!
    and yes the twins pregnancy is different
    I am expecting twins in July and already have 3yo son ( he woudl be 4 in august)
    and for me this pregnancy harder then with first one. I always get sick and it is hard to keep up with DS and he wants to play and don't understand why mommy cannot do something what she was able to do before.
    but I think it is doable. :) Good Luck.

5. dowlinal

dowlinal Well-Known Member

I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old. During the first trimester they watched a lot of tv while mommy napped on the couch. I try to take full advantage of the good days and I just accept that I can't always do everything we used to. To be honest, I think that when you are pregnant with a second child, it's always hard because you were used to being able to give your first 100%. I felt terribly guilty with my second, but a lot less so this time.

6. jvanmourik

jvanmourik Well-Known Member

:welcome: You'll find a lot of ladies in a very similar boat! I have a 6 year old and 4 year old at home and spent my entire 1st trimester sleeping or puking basically. I had some difficulties during pregnancy before, as pp said, this is a whole new ballgame! Good luck and keep positive! I cant say it gets any better during the pregnancy part (u get rid of one annoying symptom and gain another) but it will all be worth it in the end! :good:

7. kbaldwin

kbaldwin Well-Known Member

Welcome!! I'm almost 19 weeks pregnant with twins and I have a 2.5 year old.... yes, the first trimester was tough!! I can't help but think back wistfully upon my first (singleton) pregnancy when I would spend most of the day in an office chair and then as much of the evening as I wanted on the couch.... Also in common with you I just made a big move (at about 11 weeks) to a new place -- let everyone else carry all the heavy stuff. :) However, the second trimester has been so much better so far, and I hope the same will be for you. Good luck for now, and let's continue to commiserate as our bellies grow! And of course, CONGRATULATIONS!

8. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hi Michelle and welcome to Twinstuff. :welcome: Congrats on your twins. :clapping:

My oldest DD was 5 when the twins were born. I loved the age difference, it was nice with her being so independent and she is a big help. :)

9. HeidiSmith

HeidiSmith Well-Known Member

Hi Michelle,

I have all the same conerns and fears. I have a 3 year old girl and am 24 weeks along with twin girls. You can find the best advice on TS.

As I am finding out, you cannot compare your twin pregnancy with your previous singleton pregnancy. I have not been as sick as my first pregnancy, but am soooooo tired. And, I keep pushing the limits trying to get everything done - but I know I need to quit doing that. I feel guilty not giving my 3 year old as much attention as she has been used to.

I feel like I am riding a roller coster - some very bad days and some very good days....highs and lows.

I wish you all the luck in the world. We are truly blessed with twins!