school supplies - cost?

Discussion in 'General' started by twin_trip_mommy, Jul 22, 2012.

1. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

How much have you or are you thinking you will spend on school supplies for one child? Not including backpack. lunch bag or

What grade is this child in?

I just spent a total of $160.00 on my 5 and I am not quite done. We still need to get "more" pens and pencils, "more" loose lined paper, tissues, calculators, and post it notes. Dividing this amount I have spent $32.00 on each so far.

I have to say the lists are more than a bit much. The most ridiculous imo are 180 pens and 180 pencils each child, 2-3 packs of post it notes each child, 2 3 ring binders each, "plenty" of loose lined paper, 3 one subject and 2 3 subject notebooks each, personal staplers. Do they really have need for this much?

2. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

When we lived in Maryland, the lists were crazy. For first grade, each had to bring in 30 glue sticks EACH! Plus insane amounts of pencils & crayons. I usually spent about $40 per kid.

The lists here in Florida is more reasonable. Only 2 dozen pencils, 2 24 pack of crayons, 4 comp books, 6 folders, scissors, 4 packs of paper, 6 folders, couple glue sticks, erasers and a 4 pack Expo markers (per kid). So not bad. Hopefully I can keep it under $30 per kid this year.

3. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

180 pencils and pens is insane! That is a pencil and pen a day for each child.

I love school supply shopping. This year I am trying to buy just what we actually need. That meant no pencils, no crayons, no bottles of glue. I have a ridiculous amount of those things in my craft closet. I did pick up a 6 pack of glue sticks at Target for $.99 today. Those should last the full year. Add to that some $.50 polyvinyl folders and 3-ring binders and we are pretty much set for the year.

4. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

180 pens and pencils each?? That seems a bit crazy to me.

I do know that especially in the lower grades, the teachers here will ask for more of the items knowing that some kids won't bring in anything at all. For example, if they think each child will use 6 glue sticks during the year, they might put 12 glue sticks on the list because probably only half the kids will bring anything at all (and of course it depends on the school as to how many kids will bring in or not bring in supplies - some districts have a high percentage of kids whose families can't afford anything).

And I don't know about where you guys live, but the supply money teachers get here is very, very low. I used to be a teacher and I got something like $50 for the entire school year. My district had a supply depot where businesses or individuals could donate things, but you couldn't count on them having the things you really needed, so I ended up spending a ton of my own money each year.

5. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

A lot of deal bloggers (or at least the one I follow, www.kosheronabudget.com) post all the deals, specials and coupons you can use to get supplies for extremely cheap to free prices.

6. twin_trip_mommy

glue sticks were on our list also. If teachers are putting more things on each individual students lists because as you shared

"the teachers here will ask for more of the items knowing that some kids won't bring in anything at all. For example, if they think each child will use 6 glue sticks during the year, they might put 12 glue sticks on the list because probably only half the kids will bring anything at all "

I am annoyed. The area i live in is a low and middle class area. I am attempting to get everything on the list but I expect the items to be used by just my child. I am not buying for the class. I did not even think of this possibility. Although I did tell my children they are only getting one pencil and pen to use and when it is gone they can reach into our home supply, they were not bringing all the supplies I have purchased at once.

7. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

The list for my kids looks like it's designed for one child (1bottle of glue, 1 marker set, 1 paint set, 2 folders, etc.). It's going to cost me about $35 per child unless I get some major deals.

8. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I am pretty much done, and I think I spent around $80 total for the two boys (I shopped at 2 different stores, and bought some non-school supply stuff). As for the sharing, I really don't have a problem with it. If another kid needs a pencil, I know my kids are sharing--because there is no way the can go through pencils as fast as they do--and I would rather buy a few more pencils, then have a kid go without. This is the reason that I pay attention to the sales and stock up on the things I know the kids will share with others, like pencils and glue sticks. We are fortunate enough to afford it--and are by no means rich--but there are others to whom a $3.00 notebook is an extravagance!

3 people like this.
  9. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Maybe it's not that way everywhere, I just know that it is common where I live. The kids bring things in and they go in the class supply and are shared by everyone so that none of the kids feel self-conscious that they don't have certain things when they are needed. Personally, I don't have too much problem with it, but when you have 5 kids, that really adds up quick, especially if money is tight for your family.

10. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I spend about $40 per kid on top of the $120 per kid book rental. I always buy extra glue sticks and pencils since they are super cheap now. I figure if the girls can't use them someone in their class can

11. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

I haven't bought for Lennon's 2nd grade list yet and 1st grade was a pretty inexpensive list, 20ish dollars. We always send in extras for the kids who can't/don't bring anything at all. If parents don't donate additional items, it just comes out of the teacher's wallet - and they spend plenty of their own money on other things all year round, I figure I can spend an extra 10.00-15.00 and send in extra boxes of tissues, glue sticks, pencils, etc.

12. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

My kids school in Maryland did share supplies. I remember when they went into kindergarten I let them pick out their own folders, so they got ones with sports on them or whatever, yah never saw those again! The next year I put their names on some things, like scissors and pencil boxes. As far as folders (now, anyway!), comp books, pencils, glue sticks, tissues, plastic baggies, etc., that I don't mind if it's for class use. Like others said, not every family can provide which I think is why the lists get so out of control. The area where we lived in MD was pretty strange, people were either really poor or really rich. Pretty much the only middle class were those of us who were military.

The school here, I'm not sure how they do it. The supply list is small enough that it might be for each kid, but I think it's a richer area and the school has a lot more of their own supplies.

13. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

4 - Composition Notebooks
    4 - Solid Color Plastic Pocket Folders (Red, Blue, Green, Yellow)
    1 - Box Crayola Crayons 24 ct
    24 - Elmer’s Glue Sticks
    1 - Small School Box (8x5x3)
    1 - Pair Children’s Scissors
    48 - Pre-Sharpened #2 Pencils
    1 - Box Facial Tissues
    1 - Box of baby wipes
    2 - 4 pack EXPO dry erase markers
    1 box quart size ziploc bags
    1 Pink Block Eraser
    1 hand held pencil sharpener

That is our school supply list and it is reasonable this year. I had the folders, notebooks, and school box already so I am just buying the rest a little at a time until school starts. The one thing that drives me nuts are the things like it HAS to be elmers glue and the pencils have to be SHARPENED. They all go into a communal bin and the kids sharpen their pencils everyday so why double the cost?

14. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My mom used to teach Kindergarten in a pretty poor section of FL and she always had pretty extensive lists of non-school items, including things like hand soap, kleenex, paper towels, baby wipes, a ream of paper. So assuming that maybe 1/2 of her students actually brought in most of the items, my mom wouldn't be out five plus hundred dollars a year. A class of K students can kill a bottle of soap in two days. She would go through at least a roll of paper towels if the project was messy enough.

She didn't ask for pencils or scissors, as she had those from prior years and would just sharpen the pencils (big chunky pencils).

As for my two, the PTO had a thing where you could buy a box of supplies for the K class for $18. Instead of fighting people for supplies, I'm taking them up on their offer, so $36 for both.

15. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

I don't think our lists are too bad. I'm doing the same as Bex - buying the PTA box. It's probably a little more than if I shoppped around, but when you factor in time, gas & all the other things I would buy while looking for the school supplies ;) I think it's deal. Last year I went to at least three different stores just for Rachel. I don't mind the PTA making a little money off of it - they turn around and spend the money on the kids anyway.

KINDERGARTEN ​
    1 dz Pencils ​
    3 Glue Sticks ​
    1 4 oz Glue ​
    1 bx, 24 ct, Crayons​
    1 set Washable Markers ​
    1 pkg Dry Erase Markers ​
    1 box Tissues ​
    1 set Colored Pencils ​
    2 yellow Highlighters ​
    1 box Tissues​
    1 set Watercolors​
    2ND GRADE ​
    2 pk Pencils​
    1 bx, 24 ct, Crayons ​
    1 pr 5" pointed Scissors ​
    2 Glue Sticks ​
    1 set Washable Markers ​
    1 pk Dry Erase Markers ​
    2 2-pocket folders ​
    2 Spiral Notebooks ​
    1 box Tissues ​
    1 School Box ​
    1 pink Highlighter ​
    1 set Digital Headphones

16. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't think that is too bad when you consider it is for all 5 kids and you've only spent $32 on each kid and you have to remember their ages as well. :pardon: As they get older the supplies are going to get more expensive...calculator, etc. especially things for math. I have one going in middle school this year and we won't get her supply list until the open house mid- Aug., but I know her cousin went there last year and had small binder for each subject. So especially in middle school and high school you are going to pay more for the school supplies.

That said, for my kids in elem. school each year I probably average at least $30 per child for their supplies (probably more because I do pick up a few of the "suggested" but not mandatory supplies for each class such as hand sanitizer, tissues, sandwich bags, to help out the teacher) that is not counting backpack and lunch bag.

17. Sue1968

Sue1968 Well-Known Member

This is my first year with all three of them in school and the list is starting to get crazy. What I do every summer is to place the school supply list in my purse and anytime I am out shopping at Walmart or wherever I buy the supplies that have been discounted and cross them off of my list. I had to buy six packs of markers (50 cents each at Walmart), eleven composition books (also 50 cents at Walmart), 17 folders (14 cents at Big Lots), and the list goes on and on. The thing is that every retailer has some items that are crazy cheap and when I come across them, I get them and cross it off the list. I have already completed shopping for the fall. I haven't done a price analysis but I can tell you that almost every item was less than a dollar each. For those that have a Big Lots near them, their prices on supplies are really cheap and I wasn't even expecting to find school supplies when I went in there (I was shopping for headphones).

18. Chrissy Nelson

Here is our list... I pick up stuff a little at a time when I see it on sale

1 package wide ruled loose leaf notebook paper
    2 glue sticks
    box of washable markers
    box of crayons or colored pencils
    10 #2 pencils
    blue or black ink pens
    at least 3 red pens
    3 highlighters – yellow, pink, or orange only
    2 large erasers
    1 black Sharpie permanent marker (medium or fine point please)
    2 dry erase markers, dark colors (students will probably need more as we go
    through the year)
    scissors
    5 folders with pockets (any color or design is fine)
    1 - 1” binder
    1 set binder dividers with tabs
    pencil holder/pouch
    protractor
    clipboard
    12” ruler w/ metric & standard measurements
    2 boxes Kleenex
    ear buds/mini headphones (for computer – highly recommended)
    USB portable drive (2 GB is fine)
    White 100% cotton T-shirt in your child’s size, allow for growth 
    Post-it Notes (any size/color)

19. 2 Munchkins

2 Munchkins Well-Known Member

We order the package from school, and for 5th grade it was $43/child. I do usually by some extras like pencils, notebooks, glue sticks just to have on hand at home. Now, once school starts we are hit with $120/child for computer lab fees, Grade Level T-Shirts - $10/child, field trip fees $40/child, Teacher Assistance Fees $20/child, Grounds beautification - $10/child, and varsious other ones. All in all it comes out to about and extra $350/child in September and then again in February.

20. twin_trip_mommy

my children are going into 6th and 8th grade.

The lists are labeled "Requested Supply List" and there is no mention of these items being shared with other students. IF the teachers or the PTA sent a separate list asking for additional supplies to be used by the group I would get things on that list but this is not what they are doing.

Also at the bottom of the lists is a message. "Thank you for including these items on your shopping list. If you return this memo, signed by your parents, on the first day of school, you will receive an extra 10 points on one assignment during the first term."

Our lists

6th grade team 61

1 1" 3 ring binder
    1 1/2" 3 ring binder
    2 3 subject notebooks
    1 marble comp. notebook
    loose leaf paper
    6- 2 pocket folders
    pens
    pencils
    erasers
    calculator
    highlighters
    glue sticks
    post it notes
    stapler
    ruler
    scissors
    pencil case
    colored pencils
    loose lined paper
    combination lock
    tissues

6th grade team 62

1 1" 3 ring binder
    loose paper in binder
    3 hole pocket folder in binder
    pencil case in binder
    stapler
    calculator
    pencils
    red pens
    Marble comp notebook
    1 subject notebook
    2 pocket folders
    loose lined paper
    pencil case
    black or blue pens
    highlighters
    red pens
    pencils
    erasers
    pencil sharpener
    scissors
    glue sticks
    pocket folder
    colored pencils
    1/2" 3 ring binder
    combination lock
    tissues
    roll of paper towels

Grade 8

1 1 1/2" 3 ring binder
    lined filler paper
    4 dividers with tabs
    marble comp book
    4 double pocket folders
    colored pencils
    crayons
    markers
    scissors
    calculator
    ruler
    sharpener
    dry erase markers with erasers
    2-3 packages post it notes
    180 pencils
    180 pens
    pencil case
    combination lock
    spiral notebook
    4 notebooks
    lined filler paper
    divider tabs
    1 1" 3 ring binder
    one subject notebook for writing journal
    tissues
    paper towels
    dry erase markers (Can we put this or is it to much?)
    _ _ _ _ _

I found that last part interesting on the last list. I bolded it. I imagine the teacher that wrote this part felt that this might be to much but others did not catch the note and added it all in even though it was already added in higher in the list.

21. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

Our 6th grade list:
    1. Large 3-ring zip up binder (trapper)
    Inside the trapper, include:
    - Lined notebook paper (reinforced paper works well)
    - A soft-covered pencil case
    - A flat 3-hole punch
    - Dividers labeled:
    Social Studies (include 4 dividers: labeled Class Notes, Quizzes,
    Homework & Current Events for Social Studies)
    Science
    Math

2. 2-inch, 3-ring binder for Language Arts
    Inside the binder, include:
    - Loose leaf (reinforced paper works well)
    - 6 dividers

3. Spiral 5-subject notebook with sturdy plastic cover, preferably wide ruled and
    labeled Language Arts

4. Assignment book – purchase at school

5. Pencils, pencil sharpener, erasers, scissors, 2-3 glue sticks,
    reinforcements, and highlighters placed in the pencil case

6. Crayons, colored pencils and/or markers

7. One 2-pocket folder with 3 holes to put in binder labeled Take Home Folder

8. 2 large boxes of tissues

9. Top-Loading scrapbook (12 x 12) containing at least 25 clear sheet
    protected pages with paper already inside. Paper can be plain or include
    designs.
    Available at Michael’s or A.C. Moore - You may want to purchase
    stickers and other decorative materials.

10. Suggested but not required: Calculator

Our 2nd grade list:
    2 marble composition books (9 in. x 7 in. /100 pages)
    3 bottom pocket folders (solid colored hard plastic because they last longer)
    Closable pencil box or case (two for Miss Schaefer)
    Child size scissors
    Box ofcrayons (no larger than 64)
    Twist-up colored pencils that never need sharpening
    Two highlighters
    Large box of tissues
    2 glue sticks or gel sticks
    Supply of plain #2 yellow pencils
    2 white erasers
    4 whiteboard markers and a whiteboard eraser
    Earphones in a plastic bag
    One package of baby wipes
    $5.00 for Scholastic News (in a labeled envelope)

22. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I did the PTA fundraiser boxes too. For the time and energy of school supply shopping it seemed worth it, plus the PTA gets a percentage of the sales. It was $38 per girl (for Kindergarten), plus we were warned that there may be some additional items needed that aren't included in the box. I have no problem with getting as much as the girls and their classmates need (no problems sharing) because I know that if the parents don't buy it, the teachers have to out of pocket. This includes tissues, wipes, zip lock bags, etc.

23. Chrissy Nelson

I think you really have to look for deals at different stores for the best cost. Like this week Walgreens has dry erase markers for 99 cents for a 2 pack.

Today I got the following items...

2 12 inch rulers 50 cents each
    2 scissors 99 cents each
    2 1 inch binders 99 cents each
    packet of red pens 39 cents
    2 packets blue pens 39 cents each
    5 tab binder dividers 39 cents each
    2 20 count #2 pencils 79 cents each
    2 Elmers glue 49 cents each
    2 2 pack glue sticks 49 cents each

including my milk my total was $13.47 (savings on receipt of $21.68)

We use alot of leftover supplies every year, clipboards, pencil box etc... There is no point buying new ones every year. Same with the headphones and USB drives.

24. twin_trip_mommy

I would like it if the teachers put the list together according to subject need with an either or list. I really do not know if they want 3 ring binders and loose paper with dividers OR 1 3 subject notebooks or 3 one subject notebooks. More clarity would be appreciated. I should probably mention this to the teachers. Do they need 2 packages of dry erase or was it on the list twice as a mistake?

If the teachers sent a list of specific needs and a separate list of additional items that would be appreciated to share with other students that could not afford all items I would buy the extra. Communication is a key to understanding.

25. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

2 yrs ago Sean had to take 2 pks of pencil's to school. When his pencil started getting small I told him 3 times to ask his teacher for a new pencil, and each time she said she was out and he needed to bring one from home. He had none at home, I sent them to school!

Last year I bought him the mechanical lead pencils and kept the leads at home. I was ticked that I bought extra pencils and my kid didn't get a single one.

This year's lists look fairly reasonable, I'm guessing it's going to be about 30-40 per kid. My oldest is in 5th, and my second is in K.

26. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Here we pay $65 per child and that pays for all of the supplies for the school year. We don't have to buy anything else. But after reading everyone's responses that seems kind of high.

27. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

Geez I remember complaining a little last year about DS's list for Kinder but it was SO reasonable compared to the list some of you have shared.

I think the number of pens and pencils is a bit excessive. 180 each really?!?! DS has to bring in two pencils last year. My friend's daughter starts Kinder and the teacher wants the twistsblr crayons only. Not regular crayons.

I'm homeschooling this year so my supply cost will of course be more than if I sent the kids to public school but that's just how it goes. I'll probably spent close to $100 but I REALLY plan to stock crayons and glue sticks.

28. MommyMelissaReturns

MommyMelissaReturns Well-Known Member

I work at an elementary school and I may make some teachers mad by saying this, but I NEVER send in all of those supplies at once. I send in things as needed for my kids. A lot of teachers like the idea of a "community classroom" where everyone shares supplies. Which usually means a few of us parents supply everything for everyone else. I'm sorry, I am not supplying 200 pens or 10 packs of paper!! I will make sure my kids have what they need and that's expensive enough. I'm not trying to be mean, but if I have to supply my kids, that's what I want to do, supply for them and not 10 other kids. Our school has resource center that can help get supplies to children, the parents just have to call and ask for help.

1 person likes this.
  29. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

Cheryl- Do both sets of grades switch teachers throughout the day (high school style)? If either of them do, I would buy the most basic of supplies for that grade. I always found that each teacher had their own list and I would end up with stuff they didn't want and other things we needed. I still think that 180 has to be a typo unless they plan on dividing all the pencils brought into the homeroom classes amongst all the teachers in the school.

30. twin_trip_mommy

yes both grades are on two man (two teacher) teams. I wonder if both teachers on each team wrote a list and someone else joined the lists together without editing. I think if the 180 pencils was not a typo. There are 180 school days. I imagine they want one pencil for each day of school

31. MommyMelissaReturns

MommyMelissaReturns Well-Known Member

Our principal and school board actually made all the schools in our county stop asking for so much, because they were literally asking for 10 packs of pencils and 10 packs of paper from EACH student, not to mention some other outrageous amounts of things. They were literally "stocking" their classrooms. Now, I know first hand that teachers spend their own money a lot of the time, and most parents don't realize how much they give of their own money, BUT I don't think we should, as parents have to "re-stock" their classrooms each year. The Kindergarten teachers I work with sent home the supplies from each child at the end of the year that they had sent in, but not used. I like that idea. Each child had a drawer with all of their stuff in it that the teacher would get their supplies from, and at the end of the year, they went back home with the students.

But like I said, I send what my children need, and if they get low, they tell me. I know a lot of teachers that let each student have 2 pencils at a time, and they have to ask the teacher for more. So, if you send in a pack, they won't keep it, they will be rationed out at the teacher's discretion. I know sometimes that they have to do stuff like that, but when they ask for more after you sent in so many, that's what frustrates me. :huh:

32. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

A lot. We spend a lot. Add into that their general school fees and class fees (high school) and it gets very pricey!

33. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

I'm not going to type in our supply lists, but they're long. I feel it's a reasonable list though. I've bought most of our school supplies, but have not kept track of how much money I've spent . . . I didn't want to know!

Have any of you ever expressed your concerns to your school? Cheryl, your list is insane! IMO, there's no reason for 180 pens and pencils. If that's a typo, that's inexcusable. If that's for real, it's unreasonable. Some of your lists are really vague and some are super specific. Personally, I like the specific lists because then I know exactly what is needed and what will be used instead of wasted. I know on our 5th grade list, we ask for "Expo brand dry erase markers only" because Expo is the only dry erase marker that erases without leaving a film of color on the board that then creates "shadows" when we write. I imagine there are reasons such as this behind every specific request on the list. When I taught Kindergarten, the kids were constantly breaking crayons. If those twistable crayons were around back then, we may have requested them to reduce the number of broken crayons we dealt with every day.

As a teacher, I have not done the "community" supply thing because I know many parents don't like the idea. However, the reality is there are kids whose parents do not/cannot buy their supplies. I have yet to find the magic answer that will get these parents to do what needs to be done for their kids. I can't give an assignment to my class when there are 7-10 kids that have no paper or pencils to do the assignment. They end up "borrowing" from their classmates, so in essence you're still helping supply these kids with the necessary supplies.

For what it's worth, I spend hundreds of dollars of my own money on things for my students. I buy pencils, crayons, colored pencils, dry erase markers, Trapper Keepers, pencil bags, glue, etc for my students. Last year I even bought one of my students lunch on a regular basis because she had no money in her lunch account. She was supposed to walk home to eat, but there were many days her parents left and locked the house up, so she would come back without having eaten. I figured this out and ended up taking care of her lunch on days like this for the rest of the year. I have a feeling most teachers do the same thing for their students.

34. twin_trip_mommy

Kristi that is so sad about the little girl not getting lunch. It was very nice of you to make this child a lunch. I do wonder if a family like this should be reported. What if the next teacher does not go this extra mile? What if the child had a food allergy?

35. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

Cheryl, this student was reported and her file has been flagged for next year. She and her older brothers should be on free lunches, but the parents didn't fill out the forms at the beginning of the year. I also wrote a note on her data sheet for next years teachers. The family has had free lunches in the past, so I assume it's not a pride thing. I know that at the beginning of the year I will be checking to make sure the forms get returned.

As for food allergies, the teachers are given lists, and by 5th grade the kids are really good about advocating for themselves if they have any allergies. This particular child had no food allergies, or any other medical concerns.