Scared of MY girls?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by katnpat, May 10, 2008.

1. katnpat

katnpat Well-Known Member

GRRRRRR - are my girls scary to other kids?? I don't know, but I'm irritated -

One of my coworkers has a son that is just a couple of months older than my girls. My girls ADORE him. They love to give him hugs and kisses and they treat him like they treat each other. Sometimes that means touching his nose and saying, "NOSE!" or stealing a toy from him (we make them give it back if this happens). We've had quite a few playdates and I thought they went okay. THEN she tells my husband that she wishes that her son could play with one of our toys more (an awesome zebra that they bounce on), but that he's too frightened of my girls because they, "gang up on him." What the heck?!?! I know it can be intimidating to have 2 kids running up to you, but he seemed to enjoy the attention.

I guess I'm wondering if twins are scary to single kids? I don't know. It just made me feel bad because my girls, although not anywhere near delicate, are sweet, friendly and loving.

Thanks,
    Katie

2. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

I think it's more likely that the mom is scared of your girls than the boy... :laughing:

3. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

My dd and ds are only 11 mos. but our neighbor, 2yrs. old, cowers whenever dd comes over to play. DD is very outgoing and does not think twice about using the neighbor's toys or occasionally taking her ball from her (trying to work on that but dd is a little too young). Anyway, the 2yr. old is sooo shy and reserved and has even said "no mommy" when she sees dd approaching - kind of awkward!

4. Cathmar

Cathmar Well-Known Member

Do you think she may have meant "gang up" on him as in they both come to him at the same time with kisses and hugs? I hope she meant it in a positive sense. Even kisses and hugs can be too much for one little kid. Too much of a good thing becomes a bad thing. ;)

My nephew doesn't get "afraid" of my two, per se. But he's also going on 4 years old, so he's a good bit bigger than them. But he does get overwhelmed and hides all his toys from them. But my girls still adore him and they do "gang up" on him and get in his personal space with lots of affection. I guess it's one of those issues where you see the difference in having twins as opposed to having just one.

5. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

I have had similar situations with my boys. My cousins, DH's aunt and my BF all have singletons and all happen to be girls and they do "gang up" on them with kisses, hugs, touching, etc. Also my boys are like linebackers compared to these petite little girls and I always feel bad because I have to pull them off the poor kids, however, I don't think see means "gang up" in a negative way at least my friends and family don't, it's just that the singleton is not used to all the attention and both boys want to give kisses and hugs and it may be overwhelming for the one child. We think it is hilarious but I try to explain to them to give her some space. I wouldn't take offense though.

6. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

We had something like this happen yesterday.

We were at a b-day party for a group of folks and there was a little girl who was going to be two shortly. Very sweet little girl. But definitely a little more reserved than my girls. She waved to the girls which they took as an invite to go over to her :) and were then extremely enamored of the buttons on her sweater. I kept trying to pull them back a little and give her some breathing room, because she obviously looked a little unsure. But they were just playing with her like they do each other and I could see how having two kiddos (in our case) coming at you, with all good intentions could still be a little over whelming!

We ended up moving to a different group of folks to make our rounds shortly there after.