Sample Menu/Nutrition for pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by 3under2!, Jul 19, 2011.

1. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

Anyone know of any good websites or books that have simple and comprehensive diet plans for a twin pregnancy? Something along the lines of 5 dairies per day, 3 protiens, 5 vegetables (I'm making this up) I'm kind of worried, because I have less than stellar eating habits and especially with the nausea and food aversions, my understanding of food goes out the window when I 'm pregnant.

Also, my doctor told me I need to gain 1.5 lbs a week after the first trimester. I definitely did not gain a pound a week during my first pregnancy, all told, including the weight of the baby, I gained maybe 25 lbs, but I think it might have been less. Did anyone here NOT gain that much weight? I'm not trying to not gain, I just want to know what the normal range is.

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Dr. Barbara Luke's "When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets or Quads" is very nutritionally based. She even breaks it down by trimester for which fruits and veggies help develop at critical times. There are sample meals and portions in the book.

There are also tables and charts for your PP weight and how much you should gain by the end.

I'll warn you- it's more food than I've ever eaten in my life and took me a couple of weeks if not more to adjust to the eating. But I sure did gain weight! :laughing:

3. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm no help. I have less than stellar eating habits as well. I just ate when I was hungry and whatever was available. I wasn't counting veggies, fruits, carbs and the like. My ob didn't give me restrictions on what to eat/not eat. Granted, I was also overweight to begin with, so she didn't want me to gain a ton. I did gain 8 lbs in one month. When it was all said and done, I gained 49.5 lbs with the boys(38 weeks gestation), and lost 30 lbs by the time I left the hospital! And subsequently added some extra on since. Grrrrr!!!

4. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

While I was on hospital bedrest, I had to see a nutritionist on a regular basis. She had me on 100 g of protein a day which was almost impossible. I also remember 100 oz of water a day too. Other than that, Dr. Luke's book has some great dietary recommendations.