S/O on how many plane seats to buy

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by PetiteFleur, Mar 25, 2008.

1. PetiteFleur

PetiteFleur Well-Known Member

We usually fly Southwest and they don't have a child discount fare*. I've heard other airlines do. Does anyone know which ones and if they still do this. After our last flight from he**, I need to buy them seats, but don't want to pay full fare, unless I have to.

ETA: **Oops, seems they do have a discount fare, but don't list discounts online. Anyone know how much of a discount they offer?

TIA!

2. Ellen Barr

Ellen Barr Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it's 1/2 price, but, yes, you do have to call to book it. The same it true for most other airlines. And it's for age 2 and younger that you get a discount. After 2 I'm pretty sure you pay full price :(

3. Hillybean

Hillybean Well-Known Member

Frontier has a child fare but I don't know what age it goes up to.

4. T.O. Twins

T.O. Twins Well-Known Member

I don't know who does have one, but Air Canada does NOT.

5. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I worked in the industry. On the cheapest fares there is often no child discount and the child pays 100% for a seat. Sometimes 75% when you get to a higher fare base. The more expensive the fares the more child discount. I had up to 50%, in business (a seat for my oldest). So we would fly UA for 50% off business, but KLM would only give us 75%, so that's a major (few hundred $$$ difference ... for the company). We've flown a lot and really the cheaper fares have very little child discount. The airline doesn't care whether a 1 yo, 2 yo or a 50 yo sits there, seat's taken. And you're usually better off getting the cheap fare and pay 100% instead of paying a more expensive fare and pay 75% or 50% (but it's worth checking the difference). Occassionally you could be better off with a higher fare with more discount in the end.

6. PetiteFleur

PetiteFleur Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Mom2SofieAndTwins @ Mar 26 2008, 05:23 AM) [snapback]687549[/snapback]
    I worked in the industry. On the cheapest fares there is often no child discount and the child pays 100% for a seat. Sometimes 75% when you get to a higher fare base. The more expensive the fares the more child discount. I had up to 50%, in business (a seat for my oldest). So we would fly UA for 50% off business, but KLM would only give us 75%, so that's a major (few hundred $$$ difference ... for the company). We've flown a lot and really the cheaper fares have very little child discount. The airline doesn't care whether a 1 yo, 2 yo or a 50 yo sits there, seat's taken. And you're usually better off getting the cheap fare and pay 100% instead of paying a more expensive fare and pay 75% or 50% (but it's worth checking the difference). Occassionally you could be better off with a higher fare with more discount in the end.

That was what I was afraid of. Makes sense, though.

Thanks everyone!