S/O:Checking carseats for a flight

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by carmenandwhittsmom, Mar 17, 2009.

1. carmenandwhittsmom

carmenandwhittsmom Well-Known Member

So...we are flying to Charleston from DC in April. We will need to take the carseats but I don't plan on using them on the plane. For those that have checked carseats, should I buy a bag to carry them in or what? We have flown infrequently and the last time we flew, I rented the seats with the SUV from the airport. All thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I use the giant plastic bags for my Britax seats that the have at the luggage counters! You put them in there and they poke a hole and strap the bag tag around one of the arm straps! It's easy and FREEEEEEEE!!!!

I've never had a problem and we've traveled quite a bit.

3. carmenandwhittsmom

QUOTE(~* dfaut *~ @ Mar 17 2009, 10:29 AM) [snapback]1232341[/snapback]
    I use the giant plastic bags for my Britax seats that the have at the luggage counters! You put them in there and they poke a hole and strap the bag tag around one of the arm straps! It's easy and FREEEEEEEE!!!!

I've never had a problem and we've traveled quite a bit.

Free I like! Thanks!

4. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

We travel a fe wtimes a year so we did buy travel bags for our car seats. I like them becasue when dh and I are trying to lug bags, stroller and kids, the carseat bags have straps on them you can just sling the car seat over your back. There have defineately been times I w uldn't have had enough hands for everything if I had to carry the carseat too. I have also been able to pack clothes in the back and eliminate another suitcase and avoid the extra suitcase fee.

If it was a one time trip, I don't think I'd worry about it and go with the plastic bag at the counter but if you plan on other flights, the travel bag is worth it.

5. carmenandwhittsmom

QUOTE(twoplustwo @ Mar 17 2009, 10:50 AM) [snapback]1232379[/snapback]
    We travel a fe wtimes a year so we did buy travel bags for our car seats. I like them becasue when dh and I are trying to lug bags, stroller and kids, the carseat bags have straps on them you can just sling the car seat over your back. There have defineately been times I w uldn't have had enough hands for everything if I had to carry the carseat too. I have also been able to pack clothes in the back and eliminate another suitcase and avoid the extra suitcase fee.

If it was a one time trip, I don't think I'd worry about it and go with the plastic bag at the counter but if you plan on other flights, the travel bag is worth it.

Thanks! We could be traveling more but I am not sure. Where did you get the bags from?

6. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I just made car seat covers the other day using my sewing machine. I got a heavy fabric that was on clearance and just cut two pieces out and sewed them together. Then, I cut off the straps to two old gym bags we never use and sewed them on the covers to use while carrying. I sewed on some velcro at the top to use to close the covers, and voila!

I am not a good sewer. My total amount of sewing so far has been a couple of pillows, two sleepsacks, and a duvet cover. I don't know how to follow a pattern. But this was totally easy. It took me about 30 minutes to make the two. They're not especially pretty, but I think they'll protect the car seats. Oh, and the total cost was four dollars and fifty cents since I got clearance fabric.

If you have the time, I recommend making your own!

7. Hillybean

Hillybean Well-Known Member

We bought bags as well. I can't remember where we ordered them from but they are navy blue and have wheels so we can roll them. I like them because I can also shove our coats and stuff in with them to have when we get to our destination. I have also put DH's shoes in there when we check them so we have more room in our suitcases.

8. li li

li li Well-Known Member

Sometimes - when we were taking the nursing cushion as well - we'd scour the neighbourhood for a large cardboard box and put the seats and the cushions in that. Otherwise we've covered them with strong dustbin liners (garbage bin? I'm not sure what they're called in the USA) and stuck an address label on that.

9. carmenandwhittsmom

Thanks! I haven't decided what I am going to do but I am glad to know there are options.

10. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I use travel bags as well, but we have flown a lot. I bought them at Right Start, one is a backpack model and the newer one is with wheels (better). We've also used it on flights and then the wheels are very easy. The ones at Right Start fit my Marathons ... they're big!

11. debid

debid Well-Known Member

For the few times we've gone, I've curb checked and let the baggage handler bag them for me with the plastic bags. It works fine but of course the seats have to be carried from baggage claim to the rental car along with all of your stuff. We just expect that we'll have to tip for help.

12. carmenandwhittsmom

Thanks! It appears that we have 2-3 more flights this year. I am still trying to decide if I am going to get the bags are not. Thanks for the tips on which stores. They just closed the closest RightStart store here in my area so I am left with BuyBuyBaby, BabiesRUs, or ToysRUS (in-store visits). Thanks again!

13. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

I was thinking of just buying some nylon strapping (same stuff used on gym bags) and sewing them onto the top of the carseats themselves... No bags. Do the airlines require bags?? We're only making one trip, so wn't be necessary for lots of handling. Just to figure out how to get from the car to the check-in.

Also, do carseats count as a checked bag?? I figure that can be the kids' checked baggage, but how do you do it when you travel with multiple children?? Packing logistics, etc??

14. daniv

daniv Well-Known Member

We are flying in June with all 3 kids. I am going to try the sewing idea. Thanks alot for this.

15. T.O. Twins

T.O. Twins Well-Known Member

I think bags are a good idea to protect the car seat. I've heard of people's seats being left out on the tarmack in the rain while they are being loaded. A semi-waterproof bag -- even it it's the airline's plastic bag -- would be a good idea. Don't use a regular black garbage bag b/c 1) it could be mistaken for garbage and easily lost/thrown away and 2) those rip really easily.

16. carmenandwhittsmom

I went and got the bags on Saturday. The idea for sewing is a great one but I cannot sew at all!