Round ligament pain? Already at 10 weeks?!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by leaudemiel, Nov 30, 2009.

1. leaudemiel

leaudemiel Well-Known Member

I was laying down, reading and coughed on Thanksgiving and this awful ripping pain went down my side! I tried not to panic and immediately started researching. Sounds like round ligament pain! I read up on it, and most moms dont get it until the second trimester or beyond...

Is this another fun earlier than expected for twins? Anyone else experience this?

Any suggestions? I now curl up a bit before coughing if I am laying down, and it helps...

2. hsddc

hsddc Well-Known Member

It could be--I started having round ligament pain at 8 weeks but it went away after a couple days. Then it came back for a few days around 16 weeks. I'm now at 20 weeks and awaiting the next round. :)
    I found that light exercise (stationary biking, walking, swimming) does help and stretching. Don't stretch too much because that can have an adverse effect but just really light loosening up seems to work. Some people say heat works but I didn't do that. It's no fun! My Dr. says it will only get worse (oh, yay!) but luckily for me it just seems to come and go. We'll see what happens in a few weeks!

3. round ligament pain was my first pregnancy symptom! no joke! Im talking within a week of conception! right on either side of my belly button slightly below and to either side. Stand up too fast, move the wrong way,cough, sneeze...I know the pain clear as day. Yes totally normal!

4. evemomma

evemomma Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I had RLP MUCH earlier with twins than with my singleton. Started around 10 weeks and REALLY ramped up around 16...when the babies really start growing!

5. heathlenore

heathlenore Well-Known Member

I too started round ligament pain around 8-9 weeks and that's when I knew this pregnancy was so much different. Found out about the twins at 10 weeks! The RLP settled down until about 16 weeks and then it was back. I have been achey in the lower abdomen and have had a hard time getting comfortable later in the day. This week it has settled down but wondering when it will come back. Hope the discomfort subsides soon!!!