Rotisserie/"Deli" Chicken - In your Crockpot!

Discussion in 'General' started by purplekatz, Apr 30, 2004.

1. purplekatz

purplekatz Well-Known Member

This turned out so good! I had to share it with you!

Ingredients:
    1 whole chicken
    Aluminum foil
    Olive Oil Pam (cooking spray)
    Seasonings of your choice. (I used Mrs. Dash no salt seasoning)

Spray the crockpot with olive oil non-stick cooking spray. Next, take pieces of aluminum foil and wad them up, placing them in the bottom of the crockpot. (The chicken is going to "sit" on the foil) I only had a tiny bit of foil left, but 4 worked just fine. Spray the chicken with the olive oil spray and season.

Bake on high for 4 hours.

I can't tell you how much this reminded me of a whole chicken you would get at the deli, like at Kroger. My family gobbled it up! This was also an inexpensive dinner. I never bought a whole chicken before, but was surprised to see that they were only 69cents per pound!(less than 3 dollars for the whole chicken!) You can be sure I'm going to make this again!

2. purplekatz

This turned out so good! I had to share it with you!

Ingredients:
    1 whole chicken
    Aluminum foil
    Olive Oil Pam (cooking spray)
    Seasonings of your choice. (I used Mrs. Dash no salt seasoning)

Spray the crockpot with olive oil non-stick cooking spray. Next, take pieces of aluminum foil and wad them up, placing them in the bottom of the crockpot. (The chicken is going to "sit" on the foil) I only had a tiny bit of foil left, but 4 worked just fine. Spray the chicken with the olive oil spray and season.

Bake on high for 4 hours.

I can't tell you how much this reminded me of a whole chicken you would get at the deli, like at Kroger. My family gobbled it up! This was also an inexpensive dinner. I never bought a whole chicken before, but was surprised to see that they were only 69cents per pound!(less than 3 dollars for the whole chicken!) You can be sure I'm going to make this again!

3. Reanna

Reanna Well-Known Member

Sounds good! You can save the carcus and boil it the next day for chicken stock too! I love making stock after using a while chicken.

4. dollymomma

dollymomma Well-Known Member

dawn, that sounds so good!!! i'll be trying that one for sure... does it have to be olive oil spray, or can i use olive oil, or regular spray???

5. craftymom

craftymom Well-Known Member

Dolly, you should be able to use the oil, not just the spray. I was going to use oil instead too, because I don't own any spray. If I am correct, this is just to keep the side from burning and sticking. Just like greasing a pan when baking.

Dawn, I am very excited to try this recipe out! THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! I always buy whole chicken's because of the great price. It takes a little work to cut them up if you aren't making the whole bird together. For the price I am game! LOL

How did you come across this recipe, you lucky duck?

6. purplekatz

Dolly, I think (Like Tanya) Any oil you use will be fine. I'm just an olive oil junkie any more! [​IMG] Let me know how you like it!

Tanya, My oven went out a while ago, and we couldn't replace it right away. (we just bought one this weekend, and it will be delivered on Friday! [​IMG]) Anyway, after cooking roasts, pork chops and the same ‘ol things in the crock pot, I started to scour the web for new recipes. I found this one on one of my Atkins friendly websites that I visit. (lowcarbfriends.com) I cook meals a little different now than before, but I still have to feed my family [​IMG]

This recipe is great for anyone!

7. excitedinfla

excitedinfla Well-Known Member

Sounds great! I like to roast my whole chickens in the oven on a rack to get rid of the fat. But I've read that you can buy a rack to fit into the bottom of the crockpot and just sit the chicken on top of that. I've been meaning to make a crockpot whole chicken but haven't gotten around to it yet. I've seen a recipe calling for soy sauce- Phillipine style chicken. If the whole chickens are cheaper than cut up chicken, you can always ask the butcher to cut up the whole chicken for you and you get it at the whole chicken per pound price. 69 cents per pound is a real deal! :)

8. dollymomma

okay, i have to tell you dawn, that this was AWESOME!!! i did it with 3 turkey drummettes that dh had gotten (i usually steer clear of these, cause they always end up like chewing cowhide)... so i thought, well, it can't hurt to try... they turned out fantastic... so moist and tender... i did cook them a bit longer, started them at 8 am and cooked on high till about 1:30 pm, then turned it down to low till about 4 pm... they were sooo good... i'll be doing this one again for sure... sooo easy and good... thanks dawn!!!

9. craftymom

Dawn, I made this two night ago and it was Wonderful! I have a new favorite way to cook whole birds now! Thank you, thank you and thank you! [​IMG] Everyone gobbled it up and Scott took the last bit of a breast off the table to put away for his lunch the next day... before we could finish it! LOL

10. Eunice T

Eunice T Well-Known Member

O.K. this is a keeper. Not only was it delicious and was sooooo eeeeaaaassssyyyy. What could be better!

I made this with a package of chiken breast with bone and skin (they were on sale last week). The only thing I did different was the last hour I drizzled some bar-b-que sauce for some added flavor. My god this was so good and the kids gobbled this up too.

Left overs are going in a salad tonight.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful idea Dawn.

11. purplekatz

I'm glad you all liked it! It is good, and cheap and GOOD! [​IMG] I bought another chicken for next week, YUM YUM! [​IMG]

12. momofmandb

momofmandb Well-Known Member

I hope this is good...I have in the crockpot right now!!! Does it really only take four hours on high?? I didn't get it in until two o'clock, so I am hoping 4 hours will be long enough!!!

13. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

What a great recipe. I am definitely trying this one!! Yummy!!

14. purplekatz

MomofM&B, It really only takes 4 hours! I was amazed too! What did you think of it? Let me know!

Please let me know too Kim! It is such a big hit here and super super easy!

15. Mama_Kim

I'm planning on making this tonight with two chickens and two crockpots! My motto is "Cook once, eat twice." [​IMG] I'll let you know how we like it!

16. Majormom

Majormom Well-Known Member

Does it just go into a dry crock pot, no water or anything? Sounds too easy to be true! At lunch I'm gonna run home and put one in for tonight. Thanks!

17. purplekatz

Yep, Dry crock pot, no water. Just put some oil on the bird and season. I also just spray the crock pot with Pam too. (help with the clean up) I think it also helps that the chicken sits on the foil to keep the bottom from burning.

It really is that easy, and a healthy dinner and CHEAP! [​IMG]

18. Mama_Kim

OK, Dawn, this was definitely a hit and so easy!! I made two birds and we ate one entire one plus part of another!! Next time, I will put some seasoning inside the chest cavity and maybe some under the skin as well. I seasoned with olive oil, S&P, and Cajun seasoning. It was so moist and delicious!! And the best part was, it cooked while the boys and I were at the pool. I love dinners like that!! Thank you so much for a wonderful recipe!!

19. MMozel

MMozel Well-Known Member

EXCELLENT! We did it tonight, with Mrs. Dash barbeque chicken seasoning and man was it good! Amazing how much of the chicken was eaten, but I must ask "where do you find chicken at $.69/lb?' Up here in Vancouver, with whole chickens marked down almost 50% with my Safeway card, I was still paying $1.50 US/pound!! The deli chickens actually are cheaper already cooked!--I guess it could be our big bird flu outbreak causing the chicken prices to soar, but I didn't find it any cheaper than buying one already cooked. But I do prefer knowing how it was prepared, what was on it, and knowing that it was fresh.

20. purplekatz

Kim, I'm glad your family liked it! Good idea about seasoning inside and under the skin! THANK YOU!! [​IMG]

Michelle, I too am glad your family liked it too. I'm going to look for the Mrs. Dash BBQ seasoning for next time. I found the chickens at Super Wal Mart for that price. A new one just opened up near me and they had them for 64 cents/lb this week! [​IMG] I'm sorry yours are more expensive. Do you want me to send you a few? [​IMG] Not sure they could get thru immigration, or would that be migration! [​IMG] ... LOL Sorry, bad joke. [​IMG]

Anyway, Thank you both for the great tips. [​IMG]

21. Mama_Kim

Michelle, it was funny that everyone mentioned whole chickens being 69 cents a pound. Just this week they were on sale at my Kroger for that very price! So, since I have three boys that can eat a lot, I bought two. [​IMG] Thank goodness I have two crockpots as well. They gobbled it right up and all said it was excellent. Any time I can get all three to agree on anything besides pizza, it's a keeper!!

I'm thinking there are so many ways you could season a chicken like this. The Cajun seasoning was excellent. The BBQ seasoning sounds awesome too.

22. momofmandb

momofmandb Well-Known Member

I was surprised but this did cook in only 4 hours. Being the sceptic that I am, I thought for sure it wouldn't be done all the way. My husband really liked this. It was a little plain for me, but I think that could be fixed with more spices. The best part about it was how easy it was!!!

23. craftymom

I have made this crockpot chicken 3 times and has been wonderful every time! I put olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and Italian herb mix on ours. The one thing that I do different is put the bird in the oven on broil for just a few minutes to make a crispy crust. My boys love the crunch of a crust! [​IMG]

D, hands down... you have supplied the easiest, best recipe for everyone to love to make and enjoy! [​IMG] This recipe is a huge keeper over here also! [​IMG]

24. dollymomma

okay, new spin on this... i did a rolled pork roast exactly the same way yesterday, but cooked it for 8 hours (put it in before church, took it out 1/2 hour before serving) and it was WONDERFUL!!! very moist, juicy, and delish!!! why stop at chicken??? i'm with tanya, i've cooked this recipe many times already, and it's always a hit!!!

25. kimbuh

kimbuh Well-Known Member

Ok Dawn, I'm finally trying this tonight! I'll let you know how it goes!!!

26. kimbuh

kimbuh Well-Known Member

Ok Ok OK! Add me to the bunch that LOVE this recipe. The chicken just FELL off, so tender, so JUICY. I need to perfect it a bit more, (I didn't season it enough for MY tastes), but it was WONDERFUL and we'll definately do it again! (and again.... and again....)

THANKS DAWN!!!!!

27. purplekatz

I'm so glad you liked it! It is a easy, good recipe.

I borrowed Kim's idea and put more seasonings under the skin and inside too. That really helped.

You know, I bet a turkey breast would be good in there too? [​IMG]

Dawn

What do you think?

28. LisaGoeke

LisaGoeke Well-Known Member TS Moderator

quote:Originally posted by purplekatz:
    You know, I bet a turkey breast would be good in there too? [​IMG]

Go ahead and try it Dawn and let us know. We have two turkey breasts sitting in our freezer; we don't want to make them since it's so hot and will make our kitchen even hotter. This would be the perfect solution!

29. Majormom

Majormom Well-Known Member

Really, I think we should give Dawn an award for this recipe!!
    Great for summer, tastes yummy any time of year, incredibly versatile, and REALLY EASY!!
    Thanks again!

30. MamaGoose

MamaGoose Well-Known Member

Okay, after reading all of these rave reviews, I have to try this!! Next time I go grocery shopping, I'm going to get a whole chicken. I can't wait to make it!!

31. tammy347

tammy347 Well-Known Member

I read this post, bought the chicken, tried it, and LOVED it!!!

Thanks Dawn!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Have any other yummy recipes up your sleeve???? [​IMG]

32. anissa

anissa Well-Known Member

Hey, I have a chicken in the freezer! I can't wait to try this - we love rotisserie chicken! Thanks!

33. Razorbackmomoftwins

Razorbackmomoftwins Well-Known Member

Ok, it's my turn to RAVE about this! I made it for my family a week ago and it was wonderful!!! [​IMG] So wonderful that my 12 yr old was bragging to everyone about it, and Wesley was turning up his bowl to get to the last little bit! For my much hungrier DH, I made some stuffing (Stove Top of course) and added some of the chicken to it. He ate the rest of it! All I can say is AWESOME!!!!

34. mom23sweetgirlies

mom23sweetgirlies Well-Known Member

I buy whole chickens a lot and I'm always looking for new ways to cook them, so I guess we'll be trying this tonight. Thanks for the ida. Also whoever had that recipe where you dump a bottle of fat free italian dressing a bake it in the oven, that one is AWESOME to. I used the left over juice in the pan to put on jasmine rice.

35. purplekatz

I'm glad you all liked it. It wasn't my idea, I found it and tried it myself. It was so good I had to share, I'm glad I did! When it is hot outside, who wants to heat up the kitchen, you know?

mom23sweetgirlies, let us know what you think!
    Oh, and that is a good idea to use juice for jasmine rice! [​IMG]

Dawn