rolling, rolling, rolling ... YEE HAH!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by traci.finley, Jun 28, 2010.

1. traci.finley

traci.finley Well-Known Member

My little one (singleton) is 5 mos and mastered the art of rolling and now gets on her belly at night and cries ... I have been going back in and rolling her back over and putting her paci back in over and over! AHHH! My twins did not do this (they did many, many things that were tough but this was not one of them ...) I don't know that I feel like she is old enough to totally just cry it out to figure out to roll back or what ... what would you guys do? DO you think she is old enough? Previous to this she was doing OK at night ... waking once to nurse ... though sometimes she was getting up at 5AM for the day ... AHHHH! She would be getting up from her first nap before my twins were up for the day! Any tips for the rolling thing?

2. ohd1974

ohd1974 Well-Known Member

Mine would do this during the day so it wasn't bad. What about a wedge? I think that's what they are called, to stop baby from rolling over until she can figure out how to roll back.

3. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

one of my boys does this, but he is a tummy sleeper and rolls onto his back, and can't roll back like his brother n can, so he screams, i go in and flip him, he goes back to sleep. As for letting her CIO, I don't think i would let her, and I agree with, only because she doesnt understand what happened, it probably scares her when she rolls. Hopefully she'll figure out how to roll back. I am hoping William figures it out soon

4. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would think about a wedge to help with the rolling. Once my boys rolled over-they stayed that way-or they eventually rolled back. They pretty much became belly sleepers once they could get there! :laughing: And Annabella was a tummy sleeper from the start. Have you given her a few minutes to cry? I'm not saying an hour or anything, but a few minutes to figure out that she's ok, etc? I can tell by the kids' cries if I need to go in for anything. To this day-they all wake up at some point in the middle of the night and cry out-and within five minutes usually they are back out.

It might *hopefully* just be a phase. I hope you are back to getting sleep soon!

5. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would get a wedge or one of those supports that go around the baby to keep them from rolling over. And I would try to work with her during the day as much as you can to teach her to roll back over :)

Is she still swaddled? If she is, I would undo the swaddle so she has her arms free to try to roll herself back. And if she isn't....I'm no help! :lol:

:hug: She will learn eventually, but I probably wouldn't let her CIO either because she's probably scaring herself when she does it and gets stuck! :hug:

6. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

We just went through this last week. It only lasted a week before they could roll back and forth with ease.

7. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When mine started rolling over, I just left them that way. They quickly learned to roll back or to sleep that way (which they actually preferred). It's hard since she doesn't seem to like it. I don't think a wedge is necessarily good, I believe once they start rolling over, sleep positioners of any kind aren't recommended. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that. I do know that when they first learn to roll over, they do it all the time. It's like they have learned a new skill & they just have to keep doing it. But that doesn't usually last very long. Hopefully, it's a phase that will pass quickly!

8. christy.fisher

christy.fisher Well-Known Member

I agree. Once they start moving around, I don't think you are supposed to put extra items in the crib with them. Mine have been rolling onto their bellies to sleep for a while now and I stopped rolling them back a month ago.

Mine wake up when they get themselves into a corner or up against the crib wall. We just put a binky in and pat their butts (and move them back to the middle) and they usually go back to sleep. But again, we let them sleep on their bellies if they get there.