rolling onto stomach during sleep

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by lbzg, Nov 14, 2010.

1. lbzg

lbzg Well-Known Member

anyones baby roll onto stomach in the middle of the night? it scares me!!!

2. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

how old are your twins? My DD falls asleep on her tummy these days. It started a month ago. I was scared at first. But im ok now. Her head control is super awesome. But I still flip her over like 3-5x/night. if you put her/him in sleep sack, they wont roll over that easy.

3. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Yes - ours started sleeping on their stomachs around 5 months. It worried me at first, but since they were strong enough to roll both ways, I decided not to worry about.

4. LALA

LALA Member

One of my girls now rolls onto her belly, she has since 5 months. I just leave her now, otherwise she just rolls back and it starts a game I will lose. Her head control is good so I am not worried. She is such a happier sleeper now.

5. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

DS started doing this at 4.5 months. One of the girls around 5.5 and the other at 6. I figured if they were strong enough to roll and choose their sleep position they would be fine. With DS I kept trying to flip him but like a PP said, it became a game, eventually I just gave in but yes, I was worried at first :)

6. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

Once they can roll it is pretty much fair game. All my kids were/are tummy sleepers. I figure I wouldnt like someone coming in and flipping me over in my sleep once I got comfy, so they prob dont like it either

7. MrsBirch

MrsBirch Well-Known Member

DD started rolling over about a month ago and she sleeps way better now...before she would wake up a couple times a night and I would end up taking her to bed so I could get some sleep but now she doesn't wake until she;s hungry or DS is hungry and I wake her up.

I second the sleep sac, it rolls with them so I don't have to worry about her being cold or a blanket getting near her face

8. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine started rolling onto their bellies at around 5 months, and it was a bit scary at first because they didn't want to turn their heads so they were face down a lot. But they figured it out and started sleeping really well on their bellies. Once they have the control to roll both ways it's safe! Just make sure there's no loose blankets or toys in their crib. Get breatheable crib bumpers if you find that they're getting their limbs stuck outside the crib. Sleep sacks are great for this stage!

9. mandywellman

mandywellman Well-Known Member

I think I could have wrote this post! One of my girls started doing it at 3 months! I WAS SO FREAKED OUT! All night long I would go abck in and roll her over for weeks I dont think I got sleep or I would stare at the monitor to make sure her head was turned or go check her breathing!!! Then after a while and talking to people I realized that is just how she sleeps and if she can roll into that position she will be able to roll out of it! So eventually I calmed down about it! Now both my girls sleep on their bellies!

It will be ok!! NO worries, easier said than done! But it will be just fine!

10. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

Agree with all...I always started them out on their back - wishful thinking. They would still roll over...I got used to it but it was freaky at first.

11. babs0004

babs0004 Well-Known Member

I know it's a big 'NO NO' but mine both slept on their bellies since 2 months old when they stopped sleeping in their swings. Neither liked the swaddle and neither could sleep more than 5 minutes on their backs. It was awful. Both had excellent head control and were turning from side to side while face down, never getting their face stuck in the 'face down 'position. Of course at 4 months, my husband is still up all night with them so he's watching them. that's another story.....damn bouncy seats!