Rolling around crib

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by 5280babies, Jul 30, 2009.

1. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

My one LO is a sprite little thing. She is just over 10 lbs and for a couple weeks now has been rolling over....and over and over. She always rolls to her tummy now to sleep and many times has legs and arms out of the crib. Should I be forcing her to back sleep? Makes me nervous. Many times she wakes up with little red marks where she ran her head into the crib or the crib toy, kicks the slats, etc. She rarely cries as if she hurt herself and it is a bit funny, but is she too tiny and young to allow this yet? Sometimes I feel like I could ask 20 questions daily here - thank you ahead of time for your responses. :gah:

2. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

I think as long as she's able to maneuver comfortably and could get herself out of an uncomfortable position she'll be fine. If she's more comfy sleepin on her tummy I say let her go for it! But if you're worried I'd suggest taking the crib-toy out or getting breathable bumpers for her. We had a sleep positioner for mine until they were 6 months old, but I think your LO would just roll over it :lol:

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

IMO when they are old enough to turn themselves onto their tummy then they are old enough to sleep that way. That is how I viewed it. I couldn't keep going in to turn over babies all night long!

4. hsuter

hsuter Well-Known Member

I agree with the others. And my dd started doing the same thing around that age...we just let her sleep on her belly, I think I would have gone crazy trying to go in there constantly to turn her back over,lol. As for the crib "injuries" we got breathable bumpers and the only "toy" she has in there is a stuffed animal (nice and soft,lol).

5. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

If she is rolling over on her own, you can let her sleep that way. And she doesn't need any toys in the crib (in fact it's better not to have any). You could try the breathable bumpers to help with the crib slats, but if she's not waking up and it doesn't seem to hurt, the red marks are probably not bothering her.

6. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Since the day they started rolling, my guys have always woken up with "crib head" (indentations on their heads from the crib slats). I swear I put them down in the middle of their cribs, but they always end up smooshed into the corners. Their heads are really soft and get dented easily. It usually goes away by the time they're done with breakfast. ;)

7. smitch

smitch Well-Known Member

I TOTALLY agree! Our pedi basically told us that once the girls were able to turn themselves over, they were old enough to stay that way or turn themselves back the way they were.

Also, I was always told that nothing should be in the crib with the baby. I would take the toy out. Especially if it is putting red marks on your LO.

As soon as Zoe was able to roll over, there was no stopping her! LOL! I called her my little Rolly Polly! Now she never stays in one place in that silly crib. I've learned to just check on her from time to time, and as long as she is not in distress, just let her be the way she is comfy. I think I am even at the point where I check on the girls in my sleep! Sometimes I "wake up" on my way back to bed after having gone into the nursery to check on my LOs!

Seriously, though, I would not worry, Mama. You're doing a great job!

8. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

9. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This is exactly what I was going to say!

10. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Add me to the aimee quote list! :D

11. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

Ditto this. Otherwise you'd have to stay up all night to keep rolling her over!
    As for bumping herself, you could consider getting a breathable mesh crib bumper. We have one and it helps with our little rollers. :)

12. Kleppard

Kleppard Well-Known Member

I was having the same issue with my DS. He was rolling all over his crib and getting stuck. So I put in a crib bumper and he hated it!!! He had terrible sleeps with that bumper in. I think he was upset because he could not see out. So now I jus leave him and maybe once a night I have to get up and re-position him. Good luck!