Role play

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by FGMH, Jan 28, 2013.

1. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

My DD (3.5) is very keen on role play at the moment and quite creative with it too. I love seeing this. My DS on the other hand is often not really interested in role play, he prefers building, puzzles, board games etc. and has other outlets for his creativity. He also seems to need more quiet alone playtime, especially after pre-school. If he does role play, he will not act a part but rather have his Lego people, stuffed animals or the dolls acting. DD seems to need someone to play with her and gets quite bossy with her brother to get him to join in and act a certain part the way she wants him to. She has an outgoing leader type of personality, like to "organize" other people and this comes to full force in these situations.

DS often reluctantly gives up his other activity and plays with her, but this means that she is constantly telling him what to do. I have tried coaching DS to give him more of a say, i.e. telling him that it is ok to finish some other play activity first, prompting him to choose a character for himself instead of having DD assign one to him, suggesting he use a doll for the character DD wants him to play etc.

On the other hand, I know that role play is age appropriate and I don't want DD to be constantly frustrated because she cannot act out her ideas. I am not good at role play myself (never was, even as a kid) and DD rarely want me to join in if I try.

I am not sure how to handle these situations. They just have different personalities, different needs and preferences. Any ideas?

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If they're not upset about it, I say let it be. There will come a point where your son *won't* be willing to drop his game to play with her & that'll cause a whole host of other issues. ;) I try to let my kids sort things out between themselves as much as possible and not project my own sense of "right" or "fair" onto them. At the same time, I think it's good that you've let your son know that he can say no if he wants to. From there, I say the ball's in his court. :)

2 people like this.
  3. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

^^ what she said :) My two have started putting words in each others mouths, literally! Rylee will say "Liam say 'Huh?'" And Liam says "Huh?"...etc. It's hilarious!

Anyways, as long as they aren't fighting, let them be. You've reassured your son that he can say no if he wants to, now it's up to him to step up and decide whether he wants to bow to his sisters wishes, or to stand firm and say No thanks! :)