Rice cereal in bottle?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by twinmomlg, Feb 23, 2011.

1. twinmomlg

twinmomlg Member

Do any of you do a bottle with formula and ice cereal before bed? Does it help them get through the night?

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No.

Putting rice cereal in the bottle shows an increase in them becoming overweight. Unless, of course, they require it for bad cases of reflux. It's a myth that they will sleep longer. Everyone said, "Oh, the boys will sleep more once they start solids." For us, they slept more when THEY were ready. Not based on the carrots they ate at breakfast, or the oatmeal they had for lunch.

Here is just one article a quick google search came up with:
    Bottle

You could try upping their bottle by about half an ounce to an ounce during the day. I don't know how old your twins are. I really started working on them sttn at about six months old. Annabella, I got up with until she was almost a year old. Every kid is different.

2 people like this.
  3. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

We did it hoping it would help them sleep. It did... then it didn't. I also have tried a variety of other theories out to get them to STTN consistently. (EX: a bottle of freshly expressed BM, a 50/50 blend of BM and formula, pure formula, oatmeal before bed, meals with meat... I think you see my trend.) I am starting to come to the conclusion that kids STTN when they are ready and other things don't necessarily make that much difference.

I do, however, believe that each child is different and what works for one doesn't always work the same for another. Shoot, the same things don't always work the same way for the same kid. :) So, you may want to try it for a week or so and see how it works for your kids.

Also, FWIW I was also given a lot of arguments for why putting rice cereal in the bottles is bad. I can honestly say that my kids don't seem to have come to any harm from my trial of this theory. And our trial was months long.

4. sheras2

sheras2 Well-Known Member

Never tried it. When my boys were younger we'd give them a nice big bottle of formula before bed instead of breastfeeding or breast milk. This seemed to help them sleep a longer stretch at night.

5. bellawillawyatt

bellawillawyatt Well-Known Member

Our ped said NO NO NO never! If you want them to have cereal before feed it to them either plain or mixed with fruit. Not in their bottles. But that is just our peds opinion. I know enfamil makes a bedtime formula that is thicker but like someone else said they will STTN when they are ready.

6. JoellePotter

JoellePotter Well-Known Member

We feed them rice cereal bottles from about 3 months old to 11 months old. Ours was for bad reflux though and I never felt they slept any longer because of it.

7. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Call your Pedi and ask

8. twinmom2dana

twinmom2dana Well-Known Member

Didn't work for us either.

9. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I didn't try it with my twins b/c last time I was much more unwilling to follow what I thought was right and only stuck to recommended advice. But with baby # 3 I am more willing to try different things. I have tried giving formula before bed and rice cereal in the bottle before bed. Neither one worked!

The only thing I've found that helps him sleep longer at night is to have him on a good schedule during the day. And even that doesn't always work.

10. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Our ped had us do rice cereal in bottles at 3mos for reflux and to add calories to their diet. They started sleeping through the night around that age. No clue if the two are related.

11. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

We started cereal in the bottle at around a month old for reflux. Our guys stopped eating at night around 3.5 months, but didn't actually sleep though the night until around 9 months. So I don't think the cereal helped with the sleeping.

12. traciwinkler

traciwinkler Well-Known Member

I'm not ashamed to say that we tried it when ours were about 4.5 mo old. I experimented with it over the course of 2 weeks, and I can say that in my case, I couldn't tell a difference so I stopped doing it.

13. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

We also did..and it didnt make a difference...I was hopeful..but no.

14. talktomei

talktomei Well-Known Member

We started "thickened formula" (1t. rice per 1oz formula) around 2 months of age. They did not sttn until 6m old, and regularly sttn at 7m. However, the thickened formula did help our spitting up baby keep her food down while sleeping. She still spits up sometimes, and she is 8 months old now.