Returning to work... pumping questions

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jdorourk, Dec 8, 2012.

1. jdorourk

jdorourk Well-Known Member

Hi ladies, I'll be returning to work at the end of January when my twins are 9.5 mos old. They are EBF. I do not pump anymore, but did a lot when they were first born and have gradually eliminated all pumping sessions. They got a bottle at bedtime from when they were born until about 6.5 mos so I know they can take a bottle.

Anyways, I still have my rented hospital grade pump - Medela Symphony.

I am going to try to pump at work so the twins can get bottles in the day, and I'll nurse when I'm home with them.

I was thinking since I'll do most of my pumping at work, I'll take the Medela Symphony to work. I'd love to just leave it there as it is so heavy to lug around but am nervous about not having a pump at home. I don't plan to pump at home but I'd like one around just in case ... like for instance I got mastitis and had to pump a couple days to get my supply back. My office is only 20 min away.

Do you think I'd be ok with no pump at home, or should I try to find a used, cheaper pump to keep at home. I know another twin mom that had a hospital pump at work and an Medela Advanced at home.

I guess my question is for those that pumped at work did you have two pumps, or lug your pump back and forth, or did you just not have a pump at home.

2. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I lug my pump to work but that's mostly because I don't feel comfortable leaving it there. At least it was at first. My little chuggers recently decided to start drinking more during the day not long after my supply dipped from starting solids so I've added an at-home pumping session at night. Also, I've got the Medela Pump-In-Style so it's meant to be carried around easily. My office is also only about 15 - 20 minutes away.

If it were me wanting to leave my pump at work, I'd probably just rely on the fact that if there was an urgent need, I could get it without too much trouble.

Something else to consider is how long you are going to be pumping at work. My personal plan is to start weaning the girls onto cows milk a little bit after a year so that I don't have to pump (or at least not as much) while I'm at work. (I would still nurse while I'm at home.) If you were to do something like that, you'd only need the pump at work for a few months so you may not want to invest the money into getting a second pump, even if it is used. Just something to think about!

3. wvtwinmama

wvtwinmama Well-Known Member

Hi! I leave my pump at work during the week, but take it home on weekends.

4. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I always took my pump back and forth with me but it was only a hand-pump which was easy to carry around and I felt I could do a much better job of properly cleaning it at home.

5. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

When I worked a regular M-F job I did leave my pump at work. I also bought an extra set of tubing and flanges that always lived at work so that I could leave things set up. Honestly, the only time I ever pumped at home was if I had gone out at night and missed the bedtime feeding, or if it was a weekend and I had been away from them for a while (shopping, lunch with a friend, etc). You may be able to just use a hand pump in those instances, or if the engorgement is not too much just skip the one feed and make up for it with lots of nursing the next day. Some moms will pump in the evening, but I was always too tired or too busy to find time to do that!!!

6. j-squared

j-squared Well-Known Member

I always took my pump back and forth with the first one, but this time I bought a second pump and I leave one at work. It's been worth it.

Since your babies will be 9.5 months old, you could buy a handpump for at home in case you need to pump. I have reasonably good luck with the hand pump in a pinch (I've taken it on daytime work trips instead of lugging my pump and then worrying about finding a place to pump). When I use the handpump, I usually just express enough to feel good and comfortable but I don't empty my breasts with it.

If your babies haven't had bottles in a a while you might consider starting to pump at home now and offer at least one bottle again each day. Babies can be surprisingly fickle when they go a while without a bottle.

ETA: I have rarely pumped at home this time. I hate pumping so I don't do it if I don't have to. :)

7. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

At 9.5 months you also don't have to offer them milk "in a bottle". They can start using a cup.