Removing splinters

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by mommycandi, Apr 12, 2008.

1. mommycandi

mommycandi Well-Known Member

Dd has three spliters in her hands (guess that teaches me not to let her crawl around on the deck!). 1 on left palm, 1 on right palm, and 1 on right index finger. So the ones on her right hand don't look bad. But the one one her finger is kinda long, not wide, just long. The one on her left palm is looking a bit red and sore. I tried, but she won't let me near them! They have been there a few days. So, how important is it to get these out? I never worry about the ones i get and they eventually go away. But what about on a toddler? Should i call the pedi on Monday? Or let them just "go away" on their own?
    -Candi

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I would be worried about infection or getting them embedded even further. I'd get them out the best that you can and if that includes a trip to the pedi, do it. :hug99:

3. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Catherine got DOZENS of them in her hands one day last summer playing on a friend's deck. I soaked her hands in warm water with epsom salts and that helped draw them out. She wouldn't let me near her with tweezers! I wouldn't worry about them unless they are really large or causing her pain. They should work themselves out. HTH :)

4. mommycandi

QUOTE(melissao @ Apr 12 2008, 11:21 PM) [snapback]718875[/snapback]
    Catherine got DOZENS of them in her hands one day last summer playing on a friend's deck. I soaked her hands in warm water with epsom salts and that helped draw them out. She wouldn't let me near her with tweezers! I wouldn't worry about them unless they are really large or causing her pain. They should work themselves out. HTH :)

How long did you soak her hands? Alyssa doesn't sit still for a second! They don't seem to bother her. The one that was red yesterday looks better today. Once the epsom salt water draws them out, do they fall out on their own or do you still try to work on them?
    Thanks for your help!

5. 2Xthelove

2Xthelove Well-Known Member

i just got an email on splinters and a trick they say is to put some glue on it and let it set then pull it off and the splinter comes right out with the glue. now i don't know if this even works i haven't tried it but hey if it does it can actually be fun for her lol.

6. mommycandi

QUOTE(2xthelove @ Apr 13 2008, 10:03 AM) [snapback]719144[/snapback]
    i just got an email on splinters and a trick they say is to put some glue on it and let it set then pull it off and the splinter comes right out with the glue. now i don't know if this even works i haven't tried it but hey if it does it can actually be fun for her lol.

I saw that when i was looking on the internet last night for hints to remove them, but since they have been in a few days, there is nothing for the glue to stick onto to pull it out. Wish i would've know that a few days ago!

7. 2Xthelove

2Xthelove Well-Known Member

when she is sleeping try to put some peroxide on a qtip and dab the area with it. also then try to easily and slowly push it up and out. i do everything when they are sleeping. also try putting some teething gel on it to numb it so she won't feel it if it bothers her. then rinse off with peroxide then wipe hand with a wet cloth to get everything off her hand. HTH

8. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mommycandi @ Apr 13 2008, 09:59 AM) [snapback]719138[/snapback]
    How long did you soak her hands? Alyssa doesn't sit still for a second! They don't seem to bother her. The one that was red yesterday looks better today. Once the epsom salt water draws them out, do they fall out on their own or do you still try to work on them?
    Thanks for your help!

Will she play in the tub? I think soaking them in warm water will help draw them out. Catherine's all came out on their own.

9. guestd

guestd Well-Known Member

I have also heard that icthamol ointment (not sure how to spell it) will draw them out. I think it may also be called a drawing salve. If you are not familar with it, it is the black tar smelling stuff that you can get over the counter. You might have to ask your pharmacist for it. They use it alot for boils.

10. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

:hug99: Sorry about the splinters. You've gotten some good ideas! My kids are just weird, they run to get the needle and tweezers to take the slivers out. It's fun! I always let them "help" me pull it out. And then we ooh and aah over how big it was.