Regular times for sippys or sip all day long?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Gilbert_Mommy, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Gilbert_Mommy

Gilbert_Mommy Well-Known Member

I'm going to be transitioning my babies over to sippys in the next month or so and am wondering what everyone else does. Do you have regular times for sippys with milk like you did bottles, or do they just sip all day long? Right now they are doing OK learning with water in them, but they're still not able to really hold them that great. I usually hold the cups for them.

2. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

When mine were your children's ages we did milk at meal times or just after. Then anything in-between was water in the sippy.

But as they have gotten older is has become whenever they ask, as well as at meal times.

Good luck with the transition.

3. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

milk only at meals and water available all day

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I do a milk sippy with each meal. And have a diluted juice sippy avaiable after lunch, that usually lasts them until dinner.

5. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I do milk at breakfast and before bed only. Water is available all day. I don't want the milk cup getting all yucky, so I take them away as soon as they are done.

6. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

I've only ever given them to them in their chairs at meals and snacktime. In the summer when it's really hot we take sippies of water outside, but they never carry them around the house all day.

7. BettiePage

BettiePage Well-Known Member

QUOTE(melissao @ Apr 13 2007, 07:48 PM) [snapback]219060[/snapback]
    I've only ever given them to them in their chairs at meals and snacktime. In the summer when it's really hot we take sippies of water outside, but they never carry them around the house all day.

Ditto!! Also sometimes when we are on vacation, especially if we are staying someplace with an open floor plan where the kitchen is open to the living room (like my parents' house or a lot of beach houses) we do let them have sippies of water to carry around, but that's sort of a special vacation treat, not something we do at home. And like today, when they've been sick and we're trying to push fluids, we will let them sit on the couch with a sippy of water.

8. jultaria

jultaria Well-Known Member

We have milk with meals and snacks and sip on water all day long. :drinks:

9. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

We do milk sippies with meals and then diluted juice or water available all day.

10. cricket1

cricket1 Well-Known Member

Have you looked into some of the short, disposable sippy cups? I can not remember who makes them, but when we were transitioning these fit in their hands better and they could hold them easier. A little lighter and not as awkward in their little hands.

Now we use them for snack cups.

At that age it was milk at meals and water any other time. Pretty much the same now except they will also ask for drinks through out the day.

11. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I do sippies with milk at each meal and with their morning and afternoon snack. The only time I ever do it in between is if one of them happens to wake up at night, I'll give them a drink to see if that is the problem (and it never seems to be the problem).

12. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

Mine had their sippy cups available all day. Mostly they had diluted juice in them throughout the day and milk at meals and before bed.

13. candctwinfactory

candctwinfactory Well-Known Member

We do milk sippies right when we wake up in the morning and before bed. Other than that, either water or diluted juice available all day.

14. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We do milk at breakfast and dinner/bedtime (they go to bed right after dinner), and water the rest of the time. At daycare I think they have scheduled times for water, but it's pretty often, every hour or so. The teachers offer it, but I don't know if the kids get it when they ask, if it's not being offered at that time. At home we tend to leave the water sippies on the table from morning snack until dinner, and let them have some whenever they want it. We will take them away though (temporarily) if we're having trouble getting the girls to sit down while they drink (since we have a no-running-around-with-sippies rule).

15. Angelasbabes

Angelasbabes Well-Known Member

I let the boys have them with milk when they ask. They sit in the fridge in between -unless we *lose* one.

My dd loved juice in them and only wanted milk with the meals. The boys are different.

I took the sippy totally away from my dd when she turned 4. I'll be taking the sippy's away at that time also with the boys. Although, it may be sooner - who knows! LOL

16. LLA

LLA Well-Known Member

Since transitioning to sippy cups, my boys get milk in a sippy cp at mealtimes. They have access to sippy cups alday with water in them.

17. Gilbert_Mommy

Gilbert_Mommy Well-Known Member

Thank you for all your replies! For those that do sippys with milk at mealtimes, about how much milk do you think your babies drink with their meal? Right now my babies are drinking 3-8oz bottles and I think it would be too much for them to drink 8oz with their meals, right?

18. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

Ditto milk in sippys then but now in regular cups at mealtimes. Then sippys of plain water all day long! I have taught them pretty well to put their cups on the windowsills when done. They do it about 50% of the time. But its onlly water so no staining just a few drops here and there! B)

19. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(Gilbert_Mommy @ Apr 15 2007, 01:20 AM) [snapback]220515[/snapback]
    Thank you for all your replies! For those that do sippys with milk at mealtimes, about how much milk do you think your babies drink with their meal? Right now my babies are drinking 3-8oz bottles and I think it would be too much for them to drink 8oz with their meals, right?

Right now mine probably only drink between 1-3 oz. of milk at each meal, probably more like 1-2 oz. But at this age they should be getting most of the nutrients and calories from food not the milk itself. We were told no more than 16 oz. of milk a day. I do give them yogurt and cheese too to help get calcium since they don't drink a whole lot with each meal. 8oz. at each meal would be a lot. Kids generally don't drink as much from a sippy as they did the bottle.

20. 2girls2b

2girls2b Well-Known Member

Our girls have a sippy of milk in the morning before going to the baby sitter's and they have a sippy of milk after/during dinner in the evenings. The rest of the day, they have a cup of water available if they want it. We also give water at lunch and snack time. Their two cups of milk are usually 10oz or so each so it is plenty of milk for the day.

21. CandRMom

CandRMom Active Member

I give mine milk in their sippy only at meals, and they have water available to them all day long.

22. frain2005

frain2005 Well-Known Member

I give schedule cups of milk. We are on pedisure for weight gain issues, so our schedule is like this...
    Pedisure 7am
    Breakfast 8am (water to sip they usually won't drink it)
    4oz. milk right after
    Snack with juice 10-10:30am
    lunch around noon (water to sip they usually won't drink it)
    4oz milk right after
    Naptime
    Snack about 3-3:30pm with water
    Pedisure about 4pm
    Dinner at 5pm (water to sip they usually won't drink it)
    4oz milk right after
    Bedtime is 7-7:30pm and then nothing til morning

Sometimes they drink the milk, sometimes they only drink a little. I offer water through out the day, but I think because they get the pedisure, they have no interest in the water. They do get some, but not alot. Mine also are not allowed to carry cups around the house. They have little sport type bottles, that they have water available in when ever they want it. They are pretty good about keeping it on the table and coming to take a drink when they are thirsty. HTH!

23. egoury

egoury Well-Known Member

I am definitely in the minority here. I give them sippy cups with milk where they have access to it all day. Once they drink two sippy cups of milk, I switch it to water. When they are napping and such, the sippy cup goes in the fridge. So, they always have access to drinking something. They don't drink a ton with their meals and I don't want them to fill up on the liquids and not eat. Both of my daughters love water and would probably never miss the milk if I took it away, but I know they need it.