refuses solid

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by w101ttd, Oct 18, 2010.

1. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Hello. My boy loves solid. But the girl totally refuses it. She can eat it. But she just closes her mouth and spit the food out

She has been teething for a month and she got 2 bottom ones coming up. Howevern her bro has been teething for 3 months still no teeth. How funny!

I have tried all kind of food, still no luck!! Her milk intake has been dropped. So I want her to eat some solid. Anyone has any idea how to give her solid?please help! Thanks!

2. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

I really think it is just a matter of time. My DS and DD were the same way and then all of a sudden, she wanted solids too. She was a bit older than your DD when it happened.

3. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

My kids were the same as the pp...none of them really "got it" until close to 7 months. I would try one day and if I didn't have any luck, wait a day or two and try again. Once they figured it out there was no stopping them! Keep trying!

4. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

It could just be the pain from teething. I would back off a bit until the teeth are through and then try again. You could also try using teething gel or giving her a painkiller about 1/2 an hour before a feeding and see if that helps.

5. Username

Username Well-Known Member

Solids at this point are just for fun, not calories. Let her experiment with tastes and textures and don't worry for another 6 months! As long as she still has access to nursing/bottles she'll get what she needs. Have fun with this experimental stage because soon you'll be thinking "Didn't I just feed you?"

6. w101ttd

Thanks ladies!I think its because of teething so she refuses solid. Tonight I mashed 1 masll avocado mixed it with breast milk.she ate about 1tbsp and her bro finished the rest yike!!

The hardest part is to get food into her mouth. She does eat it as long as its in her mouth though. Its just couple days, she already has 3 teething poking through. I can imagine how uncomfortable she is.

Oh yeah I gave her teething tablets. It kindda helped a bit. But its better than nothing.

I will give her avocado again tomorrow. We'll see if she will eat it.

Thanks a lot!

7. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Have you tried motrin? That worked wonders for my kids. But teething was rarely an issue here.

As for eating, it definitely could be the teeth, and most likely is. But I know Annabella was not fond of solids-at all. I started at four months and stopped at nine months. It was such a hassle to feed her. She took ONE bite. And the rest was a game. I had to tickle her, pry her mouth open, give her finger foods, etc. It was no fun. I didn't sweat it. She ate, she ate. She didn't, she didn't starve. So by nine months-table foods it was! Hang in there!

Have you maybe tried heating the food up? Or room temperature? Or cool? Some kids may be picky about a certain temp.

8. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

Solids are just for practice for the FY. Some babies just aren't ready until they are well past 6 months of age. Just keep trying and one of these days she'll be ready.

9. w101ttd

Yes I gave her tylenol and it helped but I don't want to give it to her daily. it is at the worst point.she chews on everything and sometimes she confuses and doesn't know what she wants to chew. She cries because of hunger. But she fights so hard to push the bottle out!!! Her milk intake drops. Yesterday she took 20oz that's it. Then woke up at 3 cried but again refused bottle.its so hard to watch her like that