Recurrent Yeast Infections

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by MNTwinSquared, Dec 2, 2007.

1. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Every month it seems I am getting a yeast infection. :( I can't take the magic pill because I am pregnant. My only option is the OTC creams. I react to them. They irratate me more than just leaving it alone. I talked to a nurse during my last one and am doing everything she said to avoid them. It isn't working. I am:
    • wearing cotton underwear
    • Going without during the night
    • taking acidiphius every day!
    • drying off as much as I can every time I get wet
    What else can I do?? this is thoroughly irratating literally!!! It is driving me :crazy: !!

2. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Jackie, you might think this is weird but I don't think it'll hurt you.... wear a tampon and keep it fresh, then you won't have the external irritation.

Also, you can give it to hubby who can then continue to give it back to you!!!

3. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Do you eat yogurt at all? That is supposed to help fight it.

4. MNTwinSquared

QUOTE(moski @ Dec 2 2007, 06:28 PM) [snapback]517862[/snapback]
    Do you eat yogurt at all? That is supposed to help fight it.

Yeah, yogurt with acidiphilus in it is supposed to help... I figured taking the acidiplilus would bypass that. I'll pick up some yogurt next time I'm in the store, but geez, it just seems like overkill! Thank you!

5. RondaJo

RondaJo Well-Known Member

QUOTE(~* dfaut *~ @ Dec 2 2007, 06:23 PM) [snapback]517857[/snapback]
    Jackie, you might think this is weird but I don't think it'll hurt you.... wear a tampon and keep it fresh, then you won't have the external irritation.

I've been told to NOT wear tampons at all while pregnant. Little particals can come off inside you and cause and even worse infection.

Also, you can give it to hubby who can then continue to give it back to you!!!

You may want to have your DH wear a condom when you DTD until you know for sure it is gone for good.

I don't really have any advice other than that. Good luck!!

6. AWerner

AWerner Well-Known Member

are you eating alot of sugar or dairy, supposidly that can make it worse, it is probably just the hormones from being preggo right now. I used to get them MONTHLY right along w/ my period when I was on the pill, so I can totally empathsize.

Are you washing your undies in hot water? I was so desperate to get rid of mine I boiled mine at one point.

Did your Dr. do a slide to rule out any other type of infection? She can also give you a stronger cream in case it is not clearing up all the way w/ the regular OTC stuff. Sometimes with recurrent ones it is better to do the 7 day kind (I know super pain)and the suppositories vs. the cream.

I hope it goes away soon. :sorry:

7. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Didn't know that about the tampons and pregnancy. I think I did it a bit while pregnant. I have yeast issues too.

8. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

I have no advice as I've never had one before (knock on wood). I hope you find a "cure" soon...not fun!

9. MNTwinSquared

This is the third month in a row I've had it. I went to the doctor last month. It is acting the same. The OTC creams irritate me, so the nurse suggested I use 3 days of the 7 day treatment. It still hurts with that, at least last month. I'm sure tonight is going to be pure torture with the first dose in. Last month I only managed one night and I hurt for the next 2-3 days. Then it was 'gone.' Thanks! I'm just so frustrated. I don't normally have yeast issues. (unless I am on anti-biotics.)

10. stacyann_1

stacyann_1 Well-Known Member

Jackie - I use to have major yeast issues. SUGAR is what causes it all. If you try your best to eliminate it from your diet for a couple of weeks, you'll probably see a huge improvement. The other supplements you can take while PG are Garlic and Grapefruit seed extract. I used the liquid that you drop into water (got it at a health food store) but they also sell it in capsules. Hope you feel better soon.

Stacy

11. bsqc

bsqc Member

Yes, I agree sugar is a major culprit. There are also many homeopathic remedies that can help as well. Can you talk to an herbalist? go to a natural foods store? Also, I have spoken to many doctors and all agree that it is pretty much not possible for you to give it to your husband and him transmit it back to you unless he is uncircumsized. Yeast needs the right environment to breed/live and a circumsized man does not have this environment. Lucky them! Hope you don't have to deal with this any longer!

12. MNTwinSquared

My update was I did medicate myself last night with the OTC cream & it didn't hurt. Why this time and not other times, I don't know. But, that is a step in the right direction. I am finding that I must have some irratation because (TMI) I am wiping some minor blood. But, hopefully the treatment helped last night. I'll try again tonight. Thanks!

13. GirliesGalore

GirliesGalore Well-Known Member

Ouch, those are the worst! And you're right that putting the cream in actually seems to make it worse before it gets better.

Something to try: Wash your underwear by themselves and in dye/fragrance free detergent for a couple of weeks. All makes a "free and clear" version that I've used and liked. Baby detergent will work to if you have some of that around. You might already be, but skip the fabric softener and dryer sheets.

I hope you're getting some relief!

14. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

As a PP said- avoid SUGAR!!! I had consant ones when I was on IV antibiotics and the only 'cure' was to eliminate sugar from my diet and to eat a TON of plain (or fake sugar) yogurt.

I am so sorry- it is literally a pain!

15. Appymomma

Appymomma Well-Known Member

Take a bath that you have added some vinager to. It changes the pH of the vagina safely killing the beasties.
    Ditto on the sugar, that means breads and anything (which is everything processed about) with HFCS in it.
    Acidopholis is great, is it 2 billion live? Double up if not. One of the best to take is Culturelle http://www.culturelle.com/about_culturelle

External creams are great. Have you talked to your OB about it? There are some treatments they can do especially if it is this bad for you.