Recommendations for wooden playsets?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by [email protected], Mar 19, 2010.

1. angeez78@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

We are getting the kids a wooden playset but are having trouble deciding. My kids will be 3 1/2 and 2 1/2 this summer. I know this is something we will have for a long time so I want to purchase the right one. While doing my research I have come to find out that some come with precut wood and some you have to cut your own wood. We definately want to buy one that we just have to put up, no cutting/measuring wood. Our price range is no more than $700 ish. I have looked at Menards and Walmart.com. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good quality one? And what about the activities each of them have, are there any MUSTS? Thanks so much!

2. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

We have looked into making this purchase pretty soon as well. We have thought about building one ourselves and using the accessories they have at Lowe's. I will be interested to see what others recommend.

I don't know which one's you are looking at from Walmart, but my brother bought a wooden Walmart playset. It has been good, but I will say the wood is not as sturdy as some of the other wooden playsets I have seen. However, he spent less than $300 for it. So, for the price alone I think it was worth it.

3. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

We built our own using a home depot kit..not precut, so you would have to cut your own wood. However, it was finished in two days and it really wasn't that bad. It cost us about $800 once it was all said and done, but we love it and I think we got more for our money by building it ourselves. Plus, we can add to it if we choose. The link below is just like ours.

Timber-Bilt

4. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Rachael - we have the same set! My DH put ours up in about two days too, with help from me on just a few of the larger pieces.

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

We got one from a local place that was having a sale on their display models. Ours is cedar and is very sturdy. It has a big play area on top with a wood roof. You can get to it from the ladder, the rock wall or the rope ladder. It also has a slide, monkey bars, a picnic table underneath the above play area, two swings, a trapeze and a tire swing. Because it was the display model we got a good deal on it. If you have a local place that sells them you might be able to negotiate more than with a chain store.

We got it at the end of last summer when my girls were 2 1/2+ and they loved it immediately. The only things they don't really use yet are the monkey bars (too high for them), and the rope ladder (I made DH leave that off of it for now). Other than that, they are all over it!