Recipes for Cooking Dinner during 3rd Tri?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by mjwebb05, Jun 3, 2010.

1. mjwebb05

mjwebb05 Well-Known Member

Hey All,
    I am an eating MACHINE, as you all cna relate to!! But lately, with swollen feet and legs, etc. It has gotten harder and harder to come up with interesting and easy/quick (so less time on feet) meals to prepare for hubby and I for dinner. i am at 31 weeks so I know it is not going to get any easier, yet we have to eat! Anyone have any good recipe suggestions I can add to my arsenal so we don't eat grilled cheese and hamburgers every night? :)

I used to be a good cook!!

2. murtygirl

murtygirl Well-Known Member

great question!! I have also been trying to find recipes that I can freeze so they are av ailable after the babies are born...

We have been eating alot or prepackaged meals :FIFblush: Such as, frozen lasagna, those steamfresh meals with the veggies, Pasta dishes, etc. I am having less and less energy to cook...really it's the cleaning up that I loathe!!

3. jrg9171

jrg9171 Well-Known Member

If you have crock pots then the "Fix It and Forget It" books are awesome. I bought one through Bed Bath & Beyond but Amazon.com has them as well. I was amazed at some of the things you can make in your crock pot. There's even a 5 ingredient cookbook as well but I don't have that one. And all of the recipes are super easy and delicious. Good luck!

4. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Crock pots!!

Even for freezing for later. We had beef stew last night, it was potatoes (whole), baby carrots, a chopped onion, garlic, beef stew chunks, an envelope of onion soup, and we used red wine (1 cup) but you can use apple juice or beer or even water.

Another easy roast in the crock pot: Chuck roast, two envelopes of onion soup, two cans of cream of mushroom soup and you've got roast for days.

Chili with cornbread topping, you can google for that recipe but it's basically thick chili with cornbread on top like a pot pie.

So for things like beef stew, put everything in a gallon ziplock baggie (except for the water) and freeze it.

Instant puddings are nummy, make some instant vanilla pudding, toss in some banana slices (a whole banana is great) and a few vanilla wafers.

5. jessietrio

jessietrio Well-Known Member

I'm hungry.

I admire your home cooking ambition! My experience with pregnancy thus far has meant 'I'm hungry NOW. If I smell the food the hunger will disappear so put the food in front of me. Now. Ready to go. No talking. Let's go!'

My favorite fast fill-in-meal is to make some type of simple meat cutlet [breaded/floured or not]...like salt and pepper chicken or pork - pan-fried with tbsp butter and tbsp or two of olive oil...then rice [with chicken stock, peas, garlic salt, pepper]...then thick slice a small juicy, delicious tomato drizzled with olive oil, salt, pepper [add peeled and sliced cucumber in there if you feel like it]. It is so quick and hits the spot [and is really just a variation of the Midwest staple of meat and potatoes].

Also, for simple inspiration while sitting with your feet up...I highly suggest watching the Barefoot Contessa on the Food Channel [if you are not already]...she likes to use 'big chop, big dice, big spoon, big this, big that' with simple ingredients and OH MY GOSH does it save prep time. Her ideas are often quick and extremely inspiring!

Take care during your final stretch and what a great post! I have really enjoyed reading these responses.

Jess