Receiving Blankets

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by AKilburn, Jun 30, 2012.

1. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

What are y'alls favorite type of receiving blankets? I've gottent the flannel, the thermal, and super soft cotton ones (not sure what they're called) and I'm just wondering which y'all liked best for swaddling.

2. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

I like flannel type best. My twins we're babies 4 & 5 and I used receiving blankets most with them. I had some flannels from Carter last time and they were slightly bigger than the ones from Gerber.

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

For swaddling, I prefer the Miracle Blanket or the Swaddle Mes. They work tons better. :) But I do like receiving blankets for burp cloths as regulation sized burp clothes don't seem to do the job.

4. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

40X40 flannel receiving blankets are my favorite. My oldest was born in February and we were able to use those without having to worry about overheating and they were perfect. We were able to swaddle her for months.

5. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

I like the cotton ones from Carter's, but a lot of people swear by muslin. I don't like the flannel because it doesn't have any stretch to it and there's no way to pull it tight, so my kids all popped right out of them. The NICU used Halo sacks which I actually kind of liked, but to me most swaddle 'kits' are just annoying and had too much fabric and too many flaps.

6. christinam

Duh the Carter blankets are cotton instead. I prefer those over the Gerber because they are bigger and you can really get them wrapped up snug.

7. AKilburn

Where did you find 40x40? I have 30x30's flannel, and all I can find online are 30x30 or 30x40.

8. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I can't find them any more. I just have the ones that I got for my oldest at target. The 40X40 flannel is great because it doesn't have to stretch for them to be locked in it. And since it doesn't have as much give, she wasn't able to wiggle out of it until she was older and stronger. I wish Target still carried them. :( I keep hoping to come across them online but no luck so far and 30X40 is the next best thing.

9. AKilburn

This is kind of random but, Target has gotten slim pickens (at least ours has) on baby clothes and blankets and such! I remember going in there for a friend of mine and buying almost all of everything for a girl and spending a ton of money but it got her almost what she needed, they don't really have that anymore. Amazon has been my friend through all of the planning for the twins!

10. Yoyomilli

Yoyomilli Active Member

The bamboo muslin blankets from Adain and Anais are great for swaddling. Super soft. I got some as a present and the day after they came home from the hospital I sent my mom out to buy more!

11. 3under2!

I hear so much about Aden and Anais but I honestly don't get what the fuss is about. You can get the exact same thing on etsy for a third of the price.

12. AKilburn

Where on Esty? I've felt the Aden and Anais ones at Target, and they are super soft, but as much as I hate to say it, I hate the idea of paying $40 for a pack of 4 blankets.

13. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

We did had made cotton and flannel blankets for the girls. They are half a yard. Most receiving blankets were just too small IMO and the girls liked to be wrapped together

14. 3under2!

I did a quick search on etsy and I spoke to soon ;). They are about the same price as A&A if it's ten bucks each. If you want you can look a little more carefully than I did, but maybe A&A really is cheaper.

15. AKilburn

Im to the point of thinking about making my own, my mother in law has a sewing machine. The flannel ones I have juat seem too small, lol

16. christinam

That's a really good idea! They're pretty easy to make and you can choose which fabrics you like best. Maybe your MIL will offer to make them for you when you ask to borrow the machine. Lol

17. AKilburn

So making them isn't going to happen, lol! I'm online looking at the Aden & Anais blankets. The ones at Target are 44x44 however I found them on amazon and they're 47x47. There's about a $10 difference between the two. Is the 3 additional inches worth it?

18. christinam

I've never had those type but I would say no! 44x44 is a decent size blanket.

19. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

44x44 will be plenty big enough! I could only find the rectangle ones, and I loved them the best. The smaller square ones are just TOO small, I'd use two at a time. Wrap them in one then wrap them the other direction in the second one to keep them in the swaddle.