receiving blankets and burp cloths...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by newtothis, Mar 22, 2009.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

i am assuming burp cloths are what's used when you're burping your baby, correct? what's the point of a receiving blanket?

2. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

There are no stupid questions!!

Burp clothes - yes, they are definitely good to use while burping a baby. But they are also good for other things like: cleaning up spit up, bibs (in an emergency - just tuck them into their shirt collars), some babies love to suck on them, put under them when you are changing them, etc.

Receiving blankets - some people use them to swaddle babies, put on the carpet/floor for the baby to lay on, drape over the carseat when you are going in somewhere, drape over the stroller to block the sun, roll them up to support the babies' body when they are still tiny and don't quite fit in their swing/bouncy seat correctly, great for lightweight blankets for when the baby is older and you want to cover him/her up while they are sleeping, they can also be used to clean up spit up and as a burp cloth.

You'll be amazed at all of the uses you'll find for these 2 items! :)

3. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mama23boys @ Mar 22 2009, 02:55 PM) [snapback]1239362[/snapback]

Jori is right! There are many uses for both of these items!! Just watch out, people tend to give LOTS of recieving blankets and I found that you can have too many of them. ;) If you get alot as gifts, try not to open them all and see how many you really need.

4. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mama23boys @ Mar 22 2009, 02:55 PM) [snapback]1239362[/snapback]
    There are no stupid questions!!

Burp clothes - yes, they are definitely good to use while burping a baby. But they are also good for other things like: cleaning up spit up, bibs (in an emergency - just tuck them into their shirt collars), some babies love to suck on them, put under them when you are changing them, etc.

Receiving blankets - some people use them to swaddle babies, put on the carpet/floor for the baby to lay on, drape over the carseat when you are going in somewhere, drape over the stroller to block the sun, roll them up to support the babies' body when they are still tiny and don't quite fit in their swing/bouncy seat correctly, great for lightweight blankets for when the baby is older and you want to cover him/her up while they are sleeping, they can also be used to clean up spit up and as a burp cloth.

THANK YOU! I'm just updating my registry. How many of each of these should I have for twins?

5. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(newtothis @ Mar 22 2009, 01:58 PM) [snapback]1239367[/snapback]
    THANK YOU! I'm just updating my registry. How many of each of these should I have for twins?

I think everyone will tell you a different number depending on how many they personally needed. We have about 5 receiving blankets per baby - and an endless supply (25 or so) of burp clothes, that we used daily b/c our twins spit-up a lot when they were 7 months and under. My older DS never spit-up, so we rarely used the burp clothes with him.

Good luck! And congrats on your babies!! :)

6. jvanmourik

jvanmourik Well-Known Member

When registering for burp clothes lookd for the thick flannel ones or heck even cloth diapers! So many burp cloths are way thin and practically useless because they don't hold much.

7. scorpion509

scorpion509 Well-Known Member

anothing thing recieving blanket is different lenght. and I fond that one which is short I didn't use a lot because I cannot swadle my son with them when he was 3 months.
    this time I want to get only long recieving blanket. they would be more use then other. the short one would be good to put in the stroller or on the floor but not fro swaddling.

8. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

burp cloths - useless

receiving blankets - wonderful! and can be used as burp cloths too.

9. jen8675309

jen8675309 Well-Known Member

I guess everyone is different! I have no use for actual burp cloths/cloth diapers. I only use receiving blankets- I mostly use them as burp cloths. I used them rolled up around their little heads in the car seat when they were first born. I like them as burp cloths because they are so much bigger. I have about 25 receiving blankets and that is a great amount. I know a lot of people use receiving blankets rolled up to prop up bottles, but personally I have found that simple bathroom hand towels work better for that because the bottle isn't inclined to roll on the towel material, but will roll on the smooth receiving blanket material (KWIM?).

10. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I didn't register for any receiving blankets or burp cloths and I got a million of them! Ok, slight exaggeration.. but you get the picture. They are helpful and a lot of people will give you blankets without looking at a registry.

11. newpairofschus

newpairofschus Well-Known Member

QUOTE(JicJac @ Mar 22 2009, 09:11 PM) [snapback]1239731[/snapback]
    I didn't register for any receiving blankets or burp cloths and I got a million of them! Ok, slight exaggeration.. but you get the picture. They are helpful and a lot of people will give you blankets without looking at a registry.

I agree! People don't seem to need to be persuaded to buy them, that's for sure!

I also agree that everyone's different. I personally never needed/used burp cloths, but used the heck out of receiving blankets. They're so compact and easy to tote and they do have a million uses. Heck, DS is now 3 and I still use them. They're great for putting under your tot for diaper changes, esp when you're away from home. And when the babies are all grown, they'll make great polishing/cleaning cloths!

Eve

12. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(newpairofschus @ Mar 22 2009, 09:40 PM) [snapback]1239786[/snapback]
    I agree! People don't seem to need to be persuaded to buy them, that's for sure!

I also agree that everyone's different. I personally never needed/used burp cloths, but used the heck out of receiving blankets. They're so compact and easy to tote and they do have a million uses. Heck, DS is now 3 and I still use them. They're great for putting under your tot for diaper changes, esp when you're away from home. And when the babies are all grown, they'll make great polishing/cleaning cloths!

Eve

We had a TON of burp cloths-I loved them! I always had about 6 in my diaper bag! :lol: However-my boys were both spitters...

Receiving blankets- I got a lot of blankets from my shower, etc. I have 6 handmade ones as well! And let's not forget all of the ones we took from the hospital! Like a pp said-definitely do not open them unless you need them, if you get a lot. I seriously have three drawers...of BLANKETS! :rolleyes:

13. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

Like someone else mentioned .... everyone is different. I got those double folded cloth diapers and found I actually liked the small dollar store type receiving blankets instead. I found the receiving blankets fit under their chins better for feeding, easy to wipe up a puke on the floor, and small enough to toss into the wash instead of a large receiving blanket that you only used two of the corners for spit up.

I used the cloth diapers for liners for the change table that was part of my pnp. They really didn't get much use. Hard to know what you will like the best.

Heather

14. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

the Gerber cloth diapers that you can get at WalMart or Target or BRU even make WONDERFUL burp cloths! They're big and thick and they hold a lot (don't ask how I know)...

I still have a pile around for spills and messes now that we're learning to drink from regular cups...

15. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

Everyone has different opinions on what to use and how much you need. I do use receiving blankets to swaddle, but can really get by with only a couple of those. I thought I'd need tons of burp cloths, but also found that I can do with only a couple of those. What I personally suggest is a ton of bibs! When they were really little I kept bibs on them all of the time. It was so much easier to change a bib when they spitup, rather than an entire outfit. I only used the burp cloths if they had projectile spitup, that was more than the bib could handle. Especially once they start eating, we go through bibs like crazy.

Congratulations and good luck!!

16. mherdeson19

mherdeson19 New Member

Learn How to Make a Receiving Blanket and Burp Cloth

These directions will help you to make one Receiving Blanket that is a double thickness and two double thickness burp cloths. Using coordinating, bright flannel fabrics with fun edgings, makes a unique and personalized gift for the special little bundle of joy. Colorful Rick Rack or dainty lace makes a cute edging. Or if you have a machine that does special stitches, hearts or flowers in a continuous pattern can be sewn in contrasting thread around the edges.

Materials:

1 ½ yards each of 2 coordinated lengths of 45” wide flannel.
    Matching thread
    7 ½ yrds trim (medium size rick rack, or ½” size lace)

Instructions:

1. Wash both pieces of fabric in cold water and dry

2. Iron fabric

Receiving Blanket:

A. Cut both pieces into 38” x 40” pieces, being careful to cut the 40” length from the original 45” wide direction. It’s important to cut the longer section from the width rather than the length of the fabric in order to leave enough cloth for the burp cloth. Cutting in this direction will leave you approximately 14” of fabric for the burp cloth (you will have had shrinkage from washing).

B. Place the two coordinating flannel 38” x 40” pieces together and stitch with a ½” seam, leaving a 5” opening in the middle of one side for turning. (If you want lace edging, first pin lace to right side of one piece putting straight edge of lace on seam line, with finished edge of lace facing toward center of blanket and machine stitch two pieces of flannel with lace in between as instructed above). Cut across each corner to make less bulk in corner seam. Turn right side out, push out corners gently from inside to make sharp corners. Hand stitch 5” opening closed.

Burp Cloth:

A. Make a pattern from brown paper for the burp cloth in a rough hour glass shape by first drawing a slightly rounded top measuring 10” in width. The middle of the hour glass shape should be about 6 ½” in width and the bottom (round the edges the same as the top) should be about 10” in width. The entire burp cloth should be about 18” long. Cut out paper pattern. Place the two 14” x 45” pieces on flannel, right sides together and trace the pattern onto it two times. You should end up with four pieces of flannel in the shape of a burp cloth—two of each color.

B. If you want lace around the outside edge of your burp cloth, pin lace to right side of one piece of flannel with raw or straight edge of lace on seam line. (All seams are ½”) With right sides together, (and lace in between) sew around burp cloth, catching lace in seam and leaving a 3” opening for turning. Clip seams from edge of cloth to seams on both sides where cloth narrows to make fabric lie smoothly when turned inside out. Turn fabric and lace right side out and hand stitch 3” opening closed.

*Note: If you want Rick Rack, omit lace and simply sew burp cloth as directed. After turning right side out and stitching opening closed, machine stitch Rick Rack to edge of burp cloth.

Emergency Blanket

17. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

My son spit up a lot so I think that is why we went through a lot of burp cloths. I bought a package of hand towels from costco (plain-white, something like $10 for 10) and used those as burp cloths because they were very absorbant and large enought to go over my shoulder/down my back to catch all the spit up.

I also used a lot of recieving blankets. I would double swaddle my son every night (he would break out of one blanket in no time flat, 2 held him in) so having a lot of blankets came in handy. I found, like a PP stated, the longer ones were better for use because of how tall he was/is.