Re-Learning how to eat like a normal person

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by 3under2!, Sep 10, 2012.

1. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

So I've been thinking about to when I finally get around to getting my girls on solids regularly--it's going to be soon, but it is so much easier to just nurse lol-- but for now they are basically still exclusively breastfeeding and I am eating like a horse to make up all the calories. Prior to nursing, I was doing my best to follow the crazy Dr. Luke diet, so I've been eating a LOT, every day, for a long time now. Once I stop nursing I will get so fat if I keep eating like this, but I'm so used to it. How did you retrain yourself to eat normally, ie only for one? Did your appetite just go down? Did you have to specifically work towards eating less, smaller portions etc? Thanks.

2. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I don't know that I am the best to answer this (I went straight from breastfeeding part time to pregnant with the twins) but when I cut back on the feedings for my oldest I had to start reminding myself not to snack all day. But the urge to eat wasn't really there - just the habit. Of course that's the hard part.

In short, I'll be interested to see what others have to say too.

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just kept putting on weight. :pardon: Then I was pregnant with Emmett. When he was 6 months old I started playing Game On & since then (about 3.5 months) I've lost 20 lbs. For me, I had a lot more to tackle than just quantity. It was really about revamping everything about the way I was eating. Now I'm hoping to lose my last 10 lbs of pregnancy weight this month (playing game #2) in time to celebrate my 10th anniversary in October. :good:

4. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I was really thankful that I did not have to eat (and drink) all the time any more; I had a hard time eating and drinking enough to gain weight during the pregnancy and to sustain my supply while BFing. I weaned quite gradually and my appetite adjusted accordingly.

My eating habits changed a lot though. I have kept the habit of 5-6 small meals throughout the day rather than 3 big meals, but making sure to replace high-calorie snack choices with low calorie ones. This was sometimes difficult as I was still pretty sleep-deprived and I crave empty calories when tired. My biggest motivator was that I wanted to model healthy eating habits to my kids right from the beginning when they started joining us at the family table, that worked really well for me. And don't have too many adult snacks in the house for the evenings ;) You will be fine!