rash/bumps/hives on baby face

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by newtothis, Jun 3, 2009.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

my peanuts are only a week and half old.
    they look like they have small, red bumps on their face; like hives. they are there when they're fussy or when they're simply sleeping. they come quickly and leave just as quickly. some last just a few minutes.

not sure what they are or if i should be concerned.

could they be allergic to something? detergent? something from my breastmilk?

2. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

could be from the detergent. same thing happen with my girls and i changed the detergent and started using aquaphor and it went away.

3. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

QUOTE(orangeyaglad @ Jun 3 2009, 07:00 PM) [snapback]1339960[/snapback]
    could be from the detergent. same thing happen with my girls and i changed the detergent and started using aquaphor and it went away.

should i be using Dreft?
    i didnt know if i actually had to use it. i use Tide baking soda/lilac

4. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

could it be dribble rash? my guys got red bumps all over their cheeks and chin from saliva. we kept the area clean and applied eucerin aquaphor.

5. Lindae73

Lindae73 Well-Known Member

I would definitely change your detergent. Most babies have very tender skin and will have a reaction to laundry soap.
    At the very least use something with no fragrance like All Free or Tide Free. There are also great options that are all
    natural. That being said, it is also very normal for babies to have that rash on their faces. :p It will go away after
    some time.

6. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

we use purex free and clear. it's $6 for 64 loads. cheap, works great, and unscented. dreft is too expensive for my budget and there are a lot of sensitive skin detergent alternatives out there that work just as good if not better than dreft but are easier on the wallet.

7. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

We had something similar happen to Lauren but her face was covered. Our pedi said that she could have contact dermatitis from coming into contact with our clothing. So we made sure to always put a burp cloth or blanket over our clothes when we were holding her and used Aquaphor at night until it cleared up.

8. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

If it were just on the face, I would say it's probably some contact dermatitis from saliva and to coat the area with some Vaseline. But if its all over I would bet its from the detergent. I would definitely change it to something more gentle on their skin.

9. RhodeMomma

RhodeMomma Well-Known Member

Right now I use the perfume/dye free Tide, but I think my one boy still has a problem with it. He suddenly breaks out with this pink rash in areas, usually where his clothing is rubbing up against him.

What other brands are out there you've used that you find are more gentle and less allergenic?

10. someone

someone Well-Known Member

I still use Dreft for my 10 month olds. I buy a big one at Cosco so it lasts a while..

11. sandygilpn

sandygilpn Well-Known Member

I use Dreft too--I buy it online from Diapers.com.

12. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

My mom (being helpful) washed a load of the boy's laundry in Tide when they were a couple months old. Nate got a rash all over his torso.

That being said, both boys did have lots of bumps on their faces early on, and Nate had "baby acne" so bad he looked like he was going through puberty!