Raising toddler twin books?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by MrsBirch, Apr 17, 2012.

1. MrsBirch

MrsBirch Well-Known Member

Hi Ladies

I haven't been on here much, but am having trouble finding good books that deal with raising toddler twins and discipline?

If you read one you liked please let me know!

2. teafor2

teafor2 Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    I feel the same way, not much out there past the baby stage. Have you tried Elizabeth Lyons? She has one called "Ready or Not There We Go!" I love her, but it didn't help me as much as her book about pregnancy and babyhood with twins. I'd love to see what other responses you get here, because I especially want help with things like major transitions (cribs to beds, potty training) and sibling interactions (huge!) with same-age siblings who share everything, including rooms!
    Thanks for posting, good luck!
    Melissa

3. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

I read the book It's Twins by Susan M. Heim and I found the book to be a whole lotta fun! It's mostly advice from other twin moms and discussing their experiences. The author will also help to discuss behavior and some advice on discipline. There are some really funny parts to this too.

I am looking in to Emotionally Healthy Twins by Joan A. Friedman. It does not seem to deal that much with discipline, but looks to be good reading.

As far as discipline, I found 1-2-3 Magic worked on them. They may be twins, but they are still just kids. My boys are strong willed and I didn't think this would work. I decided to give it a try after just doing time-outs didn't seem to be making enough of a dent in their behavior, it worked like magic. YES! I know I just used the word magic and I sound corny, but it truly worked! I'm a screamer (still working on it, but I'm making huge progress) and this had changed my approach. One boy is rarely in time-out, the other has his good and bad days, but much fewer than before I started using it.

I suggest figuring out a discipline style that works for you and stick to it. If you don't stick to it, you appear to not know what you are doing, and the kids will walk all over you. Toddlers are pros at finding loopholes in your actions. They'll take advantage of whatever they can get away with.