Questions for those who have in home care for your children.

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Stephanie M, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Stephanie M

Stephanie M Well-Known Member

I have a two questions for those who have a nanny or any type of in home care.

1. Do you choose their outfits for the day or do you just let your nanny cress them?

2. Do you make their lunch or suggest what to feed them or do you let your nanny decide?

I would love any other advice or suggestions you may have. I am going back to work full time in 20 days. I need to start getting things in order.

2. kimr

kimr Well-Known Member

We have a nanny (Mary) that has been with us since I went back to work when the girls were 12 weeks and unless they have soaked thru, I don't dress them. I get them up at 7ish and Mary gets here at 7:30 and they are usually eating breakfast when she gets here. They end up getting milk from their cereal all over themselves etc. so its better off that we wait until they are done eating to dress them. Lately she's been having them pick out their shirts (now I finally know why their outfits are a little weird some days!).

I don't give her meal plans for lunch nor do I make their lunch. But she does know what kind of bread to give them and that they get veggies and fruit with lunch, something I've just stressed over time. What has helped is that we have a nutrionist for the girls (no I'm not pyscho, just that they have a syndrome that makes them larger than kids their age) and we watch what the girls eat, Mary knows and understands that we can't be feeding them sugar all day. Once in a while the nutrionist will have us do a food diary and I love to see what Mary puts down.

Good Luck!!

3. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

I was a in home Nanny for a number of years before i had my own children. the mom and dad were up and gone hours before the kids got up.

I got them up dressed them, fed them, packed lunchs for the one that was in school and made luch for the one I was with all day, made dinner, did homework, sometimes bath and drove them to any and all events they had after school. and sometimes even put them to bed.

If you feel mor comfortable making the meals ahead of time then I would.

or you can always write up a list of choices for brkfst, lunch, dinner and snacks and tell her to choose from the list.

good luck

4. carmenandwhittsmom

carmenandwhittsmom Well-Known Member

My nanny dresses them and feeds them breakfast and lunch. In the beginning, I wrote out "instructions" on what they ate, how much,etc. Now that they are older, she just picks from what I have in the freezer. If she has a question or concern, she calls. My daughter is now starting to pick her outfits but my son could care less. As far as food for them, I generally just keep what they can have on a shelf or two in the pantry (besides frozen stuff). Hope this helps!

5. Lindyloo

Lindyloo Well-Known Member

we have a nanny who is not live in but works five days a week, i'm not sure if you are intersted if the nanny isn't live in. but anyway...i choose their outfits if we are going out to a class or a visit or something, otherwise she can dress them in whatever. i am at home too so i usually put out their meals but she knows what i like now and i am fine letting her do it. rereading this i guess i am a bit of a control freak, oh well. i am sitting here wolfing down my sandwich. i am about to spring a one year review on her. all good but i am nervous, i hate this sort of stuff. i wish DH could do it. wish me luck

6. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I let the nanny decide what to dress them in each day.

I will tell the nanny about the leftovers from dinner the night before, if that is what I want them to eat for lunch. Otherwise, there is a selection of things that she knows they'll eat. As long as it is a protein, carb, veggie, and milk, I let her decide. And she always chooses what to feed them for breakfast.

I really let her do her own thing with them, unless there is something specific I want them to do that day. I do work FT from home, so I am always here, so if she's got a question I am usually available to ask. If I were out of the home I'd probably write up a "house rules" type of document of how I wanted things to go each day. But I'd still give her leeway with clothes, lunch, etc.

7. Millie&twins

Millie&twins Well-Known Member

I also worked as a nanny while bringing myself through med school and in the houses where I started before the kids were done with breakfast I usually would dress them. I believe strongly in their own choice so I let most of my charges (and my children) chose their own outfits, but that was always if the mom was ok with it.
    A good nanny will adapt to what you say and bring her own magic along. So I had children that the mom gave me very exact intructions of food for and I had kids where I would just chose what I wanted to cook (always respecting that the kids should have great varied meals).
    If you feel comfortable with her dressing and feeding your children then let her do it, if you do not lay clothes out for her, or dress them before she arrives.
    Millie

8. MOM2AAA

MOM2AAA Well-Known Member

My older dd used to go to my best friend's house and her mom watched both of our girls. I would pack everything. I also had a journal and if there was anything out of the ordinary I would write it in there-like meds, etc.... She was so sweet and she would usually write a quick note for the day. When she was really young she wrote out the number of bms, length of naps, etc...
    We are starting a nanny two days a week in our house for my 4 year old and the twins. She will be here next week with me, then I will be getting back to work. In the beginning I think I will lay out clothes. For two reasons, one I am a control freak :lol. Two, my 4 year old will be picked up for preschool and I am kind of a nut about school clothes vs. play clothes. Once she "gets" it I probably won't lay clothes out.
    As for food, I think I am going to make a list of suggested breakfasts, lunches and snacks. Then she can choose from there. Since she is only here two days a week and I am sure my 4 year old will try to stick to the routine, I think we should be okay....we will soon find out!

9. Maytwinsmom

Maytwinsmom Well-Known Member

You are so smart for thinking about this before you have in-home care. I never thought about it, and sort of got caught in a routine that I don't know how much longer I can continue. My sitter only comes twice a week, she is a young (21) year old student, so I took it upon myself to not give her any reponsibilities other than watching the kids. What I mean, is that I didn't want her to be distracted with other stuff and possibly neglect them. So I prepare every single meal and leave everything labeled in the refrigerator: breakfast, dinner, lunch. I also set out outfits for them to wear because I take into account the weather, and their comfort, which my husband is oblivious to, and therefor I figured other people would be too. The outfits part I don't mind, but the meals take so much of my time. I now wish she could take on the responsibility of making at least one meal a day. The thing about all this ( other than I am a control freak) is that I want the kids to have variety and nutrition in their diet. Of course she may prepare something they could eat, but is it good for them? what if it's junk and they won't go back to the hearty meals that I make? I would really spell it out to your sitter about meals, be very clear on your expectations. I think I will have a talk with mine, in the next couple weeks. :p

10. Jersey_Girls

Jersey_Girls Well-Known Member

I do lay out clothes to make it easier.
    They have standards for lunch and I let her decide: sandwiches, mac n cheese, etc.
    I cook dinner ahead of time and label it in the fridge

She decides on snacks. Usually fruit or crackers or both.

HTH!

11. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I read some of the PP's answers and I just wanted to add that I too am a control freak, or at least I used to be. But having someone here every day with me I've had to learn to let go. Otherwise, I think the nanny doing anything that was not exactly "my way" would drive us both insane after a while.

And I wanted to add that my nanny does their laundry and changes their linens at least once a week. She also cleans up their play areas and bedroom.

12. egoury

egoury Well-Known Member

I leave in the morning before the girls get up, but I lay out their outfits. The nanny gets them up and feeds them whatever throughout the day. She will cook for them or just look through our fridge to see what's there. I give her full authority to give them what she wants. She knows not to feed them all junk. I have given her the schedule that I want to follow and so she just goes with that. I also have a journal for her to use to write down what they did, ate, etc. and to add any notes for us. It works well because I can read about their day (even though I call at lunchtime) and she can leave notes to tell us things we need to buy or anything else that's pertinent. And we can have it as a keepsake to see what the girls were doing in various stages of their lives.

13. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

Steph, I too am going back in about 20 days (teaching) and I am going to give my nanny a list of things she can feed them for lunch and breakfast. I will tell her where the outfits are so she can change them, I trust her judgment on the types of outfits for my boys.

I am really nervous about this though. This is the first time I have ever had a in home care with a non-family member.

14. RRTwins

RRTwins Well-Known Member

We let the nanny dress them. She does a variety of things with them and can decide what kind of outfit matches the activites has planned (outdoor play, trip somewhere, playing around the house, etc).

She also makes all their meals while she is here (breakfast/lunch/and dinner). I create a menu every Sunday listing all their meals for the week and she follows that. The menu also helps DH figure out what to feed them when he has them alone, and gives me one less thing to think about every day! It also helps me determine what groceries to buy for the week.