Questions about vaccinations & tylenol

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by TeeandGee, Feb 28, 2007.

1. TeeandGee

TeeandGee Well-Known Member

Do you have to give them tylenol when they get their needles? Our girls had their 4-month needles today and we gave them tylenol right after which was fine. Then 4 hours later we tried to give it to them again but both of them spit most of it out. They haven't been cranky or anything so we didn't give them anymore tonight. Now they are in bed and I am worried that maybe I should have given them some. Is there any other reason to give them tylenol other than for pain relief?

Thanks!

2. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

It would also help with a fever if they had one. But I'm guessing since they are asleep and happy they aren't bothered too much. You could always give them some if they wake up in a bad mood.

3. TeeandGee

TeeandGee Well-Known Member

Okay, stupid me didn't take their temperature. Could they have a fever and I wouldn't know it? Sorry, dumb question but now I am worried. Eeeek!

4. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Sounds like they came through like troopers!! No need!

5. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I always gave my girls one dose as soon as we came home, and then I just waited to see how they did after that. They never needed any more than that one dose and the shots never really seemed to bother them during the night or the next day. If they are already sleeping, then they will probably be fine--babies are such troopers.

6. Christine100700

Christine100700 Well-Known Member

Our Ped ( whose old school ) recommends waiting to see if they need the Tylenol before giving it to them ( ie getting a fever, seeming more cranky than usual etc ) He just doesn't like giving medicine just incase sorta thing.

Ours go for their 6 month shots on Monday so we'll see if they need it this time..they haven't needed any yet after the rest of their shots.

7. natmarie

natmarie Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by Her Royal Jennyness:
    It would also help with a fever if they had one. But I'm guessing since they are asleep and happy they aren't bothered too much. You could always give them some if they wake up in a bad mood.

My thoughts as well!