questions about short cervix/bedrest

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by shahrzad talieh, Feb 2, 2007.

1. shahrzad talieh

shahrzad talieh New Member

I am so excited to have found this site. I am on bedrest too. I went for a routine check up at 23 weeks and doc measured my cervix at 1.9, said it was short and that it was "dynamic". Baby A's head was also very low. This was a new doctor and the previous one had never measured my cervix so they had no idea if I had a short cervix all along or if this was a new development.

I had a leep procedure three years ago and am wondering if anyone can tell me:
    Are you aware of any correlation between short cervix and having a history of leep procedure?

Now that I am home on bedrest (after 4 days in hosp) and am 25 weeks, I am measuring at 2.2 which is an improvment. My doctor still has me on very strict bedrest, is she being overly cautious or does this sound like anyone elses experience? (mind you, no contractions, no spotting, feel great) Oh and I am on a low dose of procardia.

Finally, what did you guys do about your thigh/leg pains, IT band/muscle stiffness, and soreness basically from laying on one side or the other?
    Thanks and sorry to be so verbose.

2. shahrzad talieh

shahrzad talieh New Member

I am so excited to have found this site. I am on bedrest too. I went for a routine check up at 23 weeks and doc measured my cervix at 1.9, said it was short and that it was "dynamic". Baby A's head was also very low. This was a new doctor and the previous one had never measured my cervix so they had no idea if I had a short cervix all along or if this was a new development.

I had a leep procedure three years ago and am wondering if anyone can tell me:
    Are you aware of any correlation between short cervix and having a history of leep procedure?

Now that I am home on bedrest (after 4 days in hosp) and am 25 weeks, I am measuring at 2.2 which is an improvment. My doctor still has me on very strict bedrest, is she being overly cautious or does this sound like anyone elses experience? (mind you, no contractions, no spotting, feel great) Oh and I am on a low dose of procardia.

Finally, what did you guys do about your thigh/leg pains, IT band/muscle stiffness, and soreness basically from laying on one side or the other?
    Thanks and sorry to be so verbose.

3. becky5

becky5 Guest

quote:
    My doctor still has me on very strict bedrest, is she being overly cautious or does this sound like anyone elses experience?

In my opinion, NO, never too cautious. I went on bedrest at 28 weeks due to a shortening cervix...from 5 to 2.5 in a week. The doc wanted modified, but I put myself on strict, and stayed there til my delivery day. After a week of bedrest my cervix lengthened back to 4.5, and I wanted to keep it that way. There is NO doubt in my mind, I would have had my babies early if it weren't for bedrest. I laid on my side, and only got up to pee, and for doctors appts for 9 weeks. I delivered at 37.

quote:
    soreness basically from laying on one side or the other?

I changed sides, and propped my belly with pillows. The soreness actually eases up after a while on bedrest. I remember in the beginning it was almost unbearable, and towards the end, it hurt more to get up!

Anyway...listen to your docs. Keep those babies cookin! [​IMG]

4. Evanly

Evanly Well-Known Member

I was down to a 2.9 from 3.5 @ 24 weeks - and had been on modified bedrest anyway from spotting - If I got to 2.5 my dr. would have put me on hospital bedrest for the remainder of my preg. I went from 2.6 to 1.6 @ 28 weeks - ended up in the hospital and had them a week later...there is no doubt in my mind that if I hadn't have been on modified the whole pregnancy - and then on strict - that these boys would have arrived a whole lot sooner. Bedrest definately does work - that and drinking lots of water [​IMG]

The good news is - that if you stick to it at home - hopefully you won't end up on hospital bedrest - which, believe me, is no picnic :p

I changed positions as much as I could - joined netflix and caught up on old tv shows and movies, read books on raising twins, and delegated a lot of twin prep to DH [​IMG]

5. Tasha

Tasha Well-Known Member

I would say the same as Becky. I don't think that you can be too cautious. i always was more strict than my doc said to be. I think that you should take it as easy as you can, and just limit yourself to bathroom breaks, a quick shower every other day, and dr. appts. Ihope this doesn't scare you because you are doing well, but the longer they can grow inside, the better.

I went from a 4cm cervix to a 2.1 at 27 weeks. I spent a week at 27 weeks in the hospital, then home on bedrest until 29 weeks at my appt. Then I was on hospital bedrest until I delivered at 35w1d. I too was just on procardia, and that combined with bedrest got us there. You can do it too! Hang in there, and set your goals short ahead of you. I would focus now on getting to 28 weeks, then 30, then 32, and each week after. You are doing great!