Question for those with toddler twins and a new baby

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Momto1now3, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Momto1now3

Momto1now3 Well-Known Member

How is it going? We are hoping to be in that situation soon. Our twins are 17 months old now and if all goes well will be a little over 2 when the new one arrives. I have noticed that there a few out there that will be or are in that situation. I was just curious how thing are and if you have any pointers to offer with the transition.

2. Momto1now3

Momto1now3 Well-Known Member

How is it going? We are hoping to be in that situation soon. Our twins are 17 months old now and if all goes well will be a little over 2 when the new one arrives. I have noticed that there a few out there that will be or are in that situation. I was just curious how thing are and if you have any pointers to offer with the transition.

3. Kellbell68

Kellbell68 Well-Known Member

Hi! I am VERY new to having a new baby with the twins, but I will try to answer your questions[​IMG]

The new baby is very easy... he is much easier than the twins were, and it is SUCH a blessing!

The hardest part is me not being able to lift the twins because of my ceserean. I need help at naptime & bedtime, so I have had to ask for lots of help. Thankfully we have family close that has been willing to help, and my hubby is off until the middle of December. I honestly don't know what I would do without him & our parents.

Abbi is a little helper (she loves to bring her new brother pacifiers, bottles, blankets, etc.), but she is also jealous. Of course, the twins have only had a week & a half to get used to the new addition, so I'm sure that will get better with time.

Aiden is oblivious. He will kiss the baby goodnight, and go check on him in his swing, but for the most part, he seems indifferent... I thought he was going to be the jealous one, so I've been surprised how easily he is adapting to the changes around here.

We've been out several times with all three kids already. It's not so bad. My hubby has to lift them all into the van right now, but since the twins can walk to the van and crawl into their carseats, it's not a big deal at all. It will be SO much better when I am able to lift them again.

So far, I think things are going pretty smoothly around here with the new baby. I may have a different take on things once my husband goes back to work[​IMG] I'll keep ya posted[​IMG][​IMG]

I hope some of this helped... I've written you a book[​IMG]
    Kelly

4. matwetwins

matwetwins Well-Known Member

The boys were just 2 and 3 w when Natalie was born. The first few months were tough to say the least. They are in the midst of the terrible twos the the Nth degree and a newborn required your attention. It was nice that I was able to have help for 4 weeks and then I was on my own. It takes a while to get into a groove and develop your own new routine. I ofter feel like Natalie is getting the short end of the stick now because she is such a good baby that I can ofter leave her in her exersaucer or somewhere and she will play while the boys are constantly getting into trouble and stuff.
    The boys are not and have never been jealous they act like they act whether she's around or not. In addition they have gone thru a lot of changes lately with a new sister, new toddler beds, and a dynamic in the house.
    If you have any more questions feel free to PM me

5. rosie19

rosie19 Well-Known Member

Hi!

Our new baby is only 11 days old at this point... so I can only give you a perspective on the early days. My twins are younger than yours will be... they are only 19 months right now...and at a difficult stage where they know what they want but can't communicate effectively. Consequently, there is a lot of whining and frustration, but it is definitely getting better each day. I am grateful that Oliver is such a good baby. He sleeps in 3-4 hour chunks and does not need to be held the way Natalie and Gabe did at this age. Perhaps it has something to do with N & G being 5 weeks early and needing to eat a lot in the early days. Whatever it is, I've found it to be more manageable than I expected.

We've had a fair amount of help... DH's parents and sister + my parents. However, having people in my house all the time means more dishes, more meals to deal with and more laundry. I feel like I'm constantly entertaining family, so I'm kind of looking forward to being on my own a little more. I'll probably regret saying that... but hopefully things will continue to go this smoothly.

So, I guess things are going quite well right now... but I'll try to keep you posted as we get a little further into this transition. I have to be honest, though... I was really petrified about how this would all go and it has been a lot better than I expected. It's by no means easy, but I If I could survive thosethink having twins has prepared me quite well.

Take care!

6. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I'm watching my nephew (who's almost 4 mos. now) with the twins and I find it very difficult. Of course it could be that he's not MY baby and that may have something to do with it. I had read that 3 y.o. is a good time to start adding sibs, but sounds like it's too late for that! Congratulations!!! [​IMG]

My DD has become EXTREMELY CLINGY since bringing Kellen in and that's rough. He's a very difficult baby too, so I don't know how it would be with an easy child.

I might not have the best perspective because he's not mine, but I am finding it difficult. (Hate to be the wet blanket!!)

Best wishes for an uneventful pregnancy!

7. hudsonfour

hudsonfour Well-Known Member

quote:
    I have to be honest, though... I was really petrified about how this would all go and it has been a lot better than I expected. It's by no means easy,

DITTO,
    Mine are 17 months apart. I must say that I got lucky with Chloe Jane. She is such a calm happy baby. It really has been a nice transition from 2 kids to 3. I was able to have a VBAC, so recovery time was very easy and I didn't need to have much "help". We did hire a cleaning lady to come once a week (the best thing we have done). P and P do get a little jealous of the attention I give Chloe, but I also know that their age is part of the issue. I have taken all 3 on walks by my self, but not shopping yet. Some days are a real challenge, but I love having all my little babies!
    Sue

8. pam2baby

pam2baby Well-Known Member

First off congrats Rosie, and to Sue happy to hear things are going smoothly.
    My little guy is now 1 month old and an extremely easy baby....but really after twins anything would be easier!
    I'm really happy we decided to have another baby, the transition has been really smooth. The only complaint is the middle of the night feed, it has taken time to adjust to that again, but luckily he sleeps for 5-6 hours between already so it's not bad at all. The crappy thing is the girls stopped napping about a month before Stone was born so that hurts bigtime in the middle of the day.

Fortunatly, the girls are very helpful...almost too much sometimes. I have been out with all three a few times and it's not as hard as I assumed, but the twins are 3 now ( as of friday) so they can walk beside the stroller and can get in and out of their carseats.

My recovery from the c-section has also been good, which was a huge worry with the " not picking up the twins thing".but it's workin out.
    All in all it is wonderful to be a new mommy again, and if we had loads of mula, I'd probably do it again. p

My little girlies,
    Drew Dakota & Shae Leighanne Nov 24/03 and
    Little man " Stone Jackson " Oct 24/06

9. latb611

latb611 Well-Known Member

My girls are 17 months older than our new little one. I have to say that I have been really blessed with all 4 of my kids. Every one of them have been easy babies. The girls have been so great with Bethany they always want to kiss and hug on her. I would have to say the hardest time was the first two weeks when I could not pick the girls up b/c of the c-section. It would break my heart when they would walk up to me and cry b/c they wanted me to pick them up. Recovery from this c-section was SO SO SO much easier than the first time. I was comfortable picking up my girls within two weeks. Like other people have said once we got into a routine it was really easy. Bethany has been sleeping through the night since she was 1 1/2 months old which has been a god send since the other three kids in my house wake up between 7-8 am. Good Luck!