Question for those with girls

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Becky02, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

I am just wondering what you guys do when your girls wear dresses or skirts to school, what do they wear under them? My girls love wearing dresses to school and right now they wear tights under them, but when the summer comes it will be to hot to wear them. They do have some skirts that have the shorts under the skirts attached but they only have a couple of them and dresses don't come that way. So if your girls wear shorts or something else under them where did you get them or what do they wear under them?

Thank you

2. Jen620

Jen620 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Annie doesn't usually wear dresses, but when she wears one to school I have her wear a pair of shorts of a similar color underneath. If we're going to church or somewhere I know she won't be running around, she just wears the dress alone.

3. Jill R.

Jill R. Well-Known Member

4. Julie L

Julie L Well-Known Member

I usually pick up a few neutral bike type shorts where ever I can find them and then Cassie wears those under dresses. She now won't wear a dress unless she has tights or shorts on.

5. TD

TD Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Julie L @ Apr 3 2008, 08:17 PM) [snapback]703750[/snapback]
    I usually pick up a few neutral bike type shorts where ever I can find them and then Cassie wears those under dresses. She now won't wear a dress unless she has tights or shorts on.

Same.

I buy them when Gymboree has sales on. I also try and always by Skorts, not Skirts, but for jumpers and dresses, the bike shorts work great. I have Navy ones to wear with her Uniform Jumpers, and then assorted coloured ones to wear under other clothes. Hers are not neutral in colour, since I just by whatever is on sale at Gymboree (they fit her the best)

T

6. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

Mine aren't in school yet, but I don't plan to send them in many dresses. They love dresses, but they love really frilly, girly dresses, and those just won't work for recess, shorts or not. I hope to get those outfits that have more tunic-style tops (sort of like a dress).

7. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

Just underwear? That's what my girls usually wear if it isn't winter. They understand that people can see their undies if they aren't sitting properly, so I just remind them of that. They don't usually wear dresses (although they would everyday if I let them), so it usually isn't a problem.

8. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

My girls wear skorts, which have the shorts attached underneath. They haven't worn dresses in a long time.

9. momofmandb

momofmandb Well-Known Member

In the winter I don't worry about it when my daughter has tights on. She has thick tights with a crazy patter that goes all the way to the waist. In the warmer months when she will be hanging off the monkey bars and such at school I have her wear bike shorts (I bought them at Gymboree) under her dress. She just has one pair and they don't always match, but you only see if if she is hanging upside down or not sitting properly.

I personally LOVE when skirts just have the shorts built in. It makes it so much easier!

10. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

Berkley wears short bike shorts or I buy her "boy shorts" panties.

11. jamey

jamey Well-Known Member

If they don't have on tights, then I put little cotton shorts on underneath.. I think this is the first year Jesse hasn't worn shorts under her skirts, and she's in the 4th grade.

12. PumpkinPies

PumpkinPies Well-Known Member

Spring is in the air -- I was just thinking about the same thing today!
    I prefer skorts, too, but one of my girls like DRESSES. Funny, I just realized neither of them is happy with the skorts. Ella really wants pants or shorts and Rosalie really wants longer, feminine dresses.

Anyway, I just got a few knit shorts at the Children's Place outlet while on vacation. I'll probably get a couple more pairs, to make sure they're set. I see at school how hard it is to play and keep covered, and the other kids will tease if they see panties.

13. angelsmom2001

angelsmom2001 Well-Known Member

Just underwear? That's what my girls usually wear if it isn't winter. They understand that people can see their undies if they aren't sitting properly, so I just remind them of that.

Same here. Although to be totally honest, Holly wears tights all year long. Heavier ones in the winter and light weight ones in the summer/warmer months. I do try to make sure I get the skirts with attached shorts, especially for Cassie. She occasionally gets on a skirt/dress kick, but is still 100% tomboy no matter what she is wearing. Holly is much more "ladylike", as my grandma would have said. She loves to wear dresses. One thing that helps us is that I prefer longer dresses/skirts, and other than the ones with attached shorts, I only get the longer ones, which the girls seem to like. I think they look so pretty on little girls.

14. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the responses, I did go out and buy some of the childrens place shorts for now but I am going to look for the bike shorts too. I really like the skorts the best but they love to wear dresses and they want to wear them more than once a week (for church). They know how they are supposed to sit (but of course they both forget sometimes) but we have already had a boy ask Katrina if he could see her butt when she wore a skort to school. She of course said no but he did ask the next time she wore it again and then I had to talk to the teacher about it and it has stopped. As far as I know the boy has only asked Katrina too, never Kira and he did the same thing last year too since he was in their preschool class last year. Thankfully he will not be in their school next year.

15. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

My kids are not that age yet (they still wear diaper covers under their dresses), but around here, wearing bike shorts under skirts & dresses seems very common. My nieces are 5 and 7, and that's what they do. I would be OK with my girls just wearing underwear (at least I think so now), but my SIL is paranoid about people seeing her kids' underwear.

16. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When my DD wears a dress or skirt to school in the spring/warm weather, she just wears underwear under it, no shorts or anything.

17. Side by Side

Side by Side Well-Known Member

I found some footless lightweight tights at Wal-Mart.

They wear these if their dresses or skirts are really short.

I should pick up a few pair of white bike shorts....thanks for the tip.

18. blessed momma

blessed momma Well-Known Member

Just underwear for my girls. They have to be reminded to sit like a lady, but we also don't buy skirts or dresses for them above knee length. They don't have monkey bars at their school though.

19. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

the girls wear undies too. they are pretty good about sitting like little ladies.

20. samtwins+1

samtwins+1 Member

My girls wear shorts under always. No shorts, no skirt.

21. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

My girls go to a private school. Their uniform is a skirt or pants, of course they all wear the skirts. They are. of course, allowed to wear shorts underneath but my 6 year olds don't. My 9 year old does,though.

22. Jaimie

Jaimie Well-Known Member

I have those exact Ebay Bloomers, they look so cute under my DD's dresses, and are a little more dressy then just shorts. I have two pairs the long ankle length for winter, and the short bloomer style for spring and summer. Abby hates tights.

23. 2IrishBlessings

2IrishBlessings Well-Known Member

My girls have just started the whole " we have to wear a dress or skirt every day" thing. Before when they did wear them they wore tights or capri tights. I think when they start kindergarten I will have them wear shorts under them. Dh has been asking me what I am planning on doing so that noone can look up or under their dresses.