Question for those of you who use Dr. Brown's bottles...

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Kellyx2, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Kellyx2

Kellyx2 Well-Known Member

My girls are 4 months old and I just realized that the stage 2 nipple is for 3 months+. We still use stage 1. What is the difference? Do I need to switch to stage 2?

Thanks!

2. Kellyx2

Kellyx2 Well-Known Member

My girls are 4 months old and I just realized that the stage 2 nipple is for 3 months+. We still use stage 1. What is the difference? Do I need to switch to stage 2?

Thanks!

3. girlzmom2b

girlzmom2b Well-Known Member

I still use the Stage 1 and my girls are 7 months!

4. Rachel0980

Rachel0980 Well-Known Member

I think the stage 2 nipple is a faster flow. We have always used the Y cut since we add cereal in the bottle for reflux.

5. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

No, you certainly don't need to switch. It is a faster flow (bigger hole or multiple holes), so if you are formula feeding they get it faster. It is all preference too.

6. Evanly

Evanly Well-Known Member

Stage two is faster - and it cut our feeding time down immensely - we used it because the boys were working so hard to get a very little bit of food - once we switched they didn't have to work so hard to eat...of course then we had to switch to the Y cut ones for adding cereal because of reflux...

7. TrickiWoo

TrickiWoo Well-Known Member

We don't use Dr. Browns but use a fast flow nipple for DS even though he's not 2 months yet. He was sucking air in from the side of his mouth with the slow and medium flow because he was sucking so hard and is very happy with the fast flow nipple. I think it depends on the baby, DH accidentally used one of the fast nipples with DD and she choked... She was fine but it sure was a screamfest. He's alot more careful to check now [​IMG]

8. 2girls2b

2girls2b Well-Known Member

Our girls are a little over 9 months and we recently switched to the Stage 3 nipples. We switched from the stage 1 to the stage 2 when they started always falling asleep when eating and not finishing their bottles. It was taking them 30 minutes or so just to finish 5-6oz. After we switched to the stage 2, it only took them 10-15 minutes to finish the whole bottle. The first time was pretty messy, but they got used to the faster flow very quickly. We changed from the stage 2 to 3 for the same reasons. Now they drink 7oz or more in less than 10 minutes. It cut way down on feeding time.

9. first_second_and_last

first_second_and_last Well-Known Member

Um, yeah, hello - I did the same thing! [​IMG]

DD started goofing off during bottle time and I talked to SIL in about it (she has 4 kids). She asked what level of nipple we were using and I said Level 1. She said "DUH, get a bigger nipple". We switched to Level 2 at 5 months. I saw the label as well and giggled in the BRU when it said 3+ months for Level 2. We're still on that and will probably switch to Level 3 soon. I wanted a gradual change so that they didn't choke/gag.

10. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

Yeah, we did the same thing. When they started falling asleep/goofing off and not finishing the bottle, I changed up to a bigger nipple & that helped.