question for reflux moms

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ohjojo, Mar 15, 2009.

1. ohjojo

ohjojo Well-Known Member

i took DD to the gastroenterologist at texas childrens hospital on wednesday because her reflux still isn't under control. the dr. was very happy with her weight (she is in the 80th %) and said the only thing we could do was increase her meds, so now she is on prevacid, 7.5 mg twice daily and zantac, 1.6 ml once daily. i am guessing that it will take a week or so for the additional prevacid to kick in(she was on 7.5 once daily before).

so my question is, when you got the med dose/combo right did your LO stop exhibiting symptoms of reflux-crying, screaming, arching, refusing bottle? or is this just going to continue until she grows out of it despite the medication? :( if she continues to show symptoms should i call the gastro and see if her dose can be increased again?

TIA

-joy

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Once we got on the right med, it was about 24 hours when I started noticing a dramatic difference in their pain and then in about 3 days they were much, much better. I was told to give the meds 5-7 days to see a full effect and if nothing to call back. I hope you finally found the right combo of meds. Reflux is so hard on everyone involved. :hug:

3. becky5

becky5 Guest

Yes, once we got on the right meds/dosage within 48 hours there was a huge change in their behavior/appetite. I hope the changes work for her. :hug:

4. caryanne07

caryanne07 Well-Known Member

I hate to say this but for us the symptoms mostly continued until he grew out of it. For Daniel it took about a month for the Prevacid to make any real difference and even then he continued to throw up entire bottles once or twice a day. He did get better at taking the bottle (i.e. no pain from the reflux) which was at least something. So when he did throw one up, he'd just take another one right after.

He outgrew it completely at about 11 months.

5. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

Our pedi put both of my girls on 25mg of prevacid once a day from the get go and it worked great. I noticed a dramatic difference within 24 hours of starting the prevacid. Thankfully we never had to experiment with different drugs. I hope the new cocktail helps her!! Reflux is so hard!

6. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Screaming, arching, and refusing bottle stopped once we got them on the meds... but Ana never stopped spitting up. She just didn't scream anymore when she urped. Hope your babies are better soon. :hug:

7. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(Leighann @ Mar 15 2009, 06:50 PM) [snapback]1229536[/snapback]
    Screaming, arching, and refusing bottle stopped once we got them on the meds... but Ana never stopped spitting up. She just didn't scream anymore when she urped. Hope your babies are better soon. :hug:

Yup. Alice never really stopped spitting up until she was mostly on solids (9 months), but with the Prevacid (which took 4 days to work for us) it no longer hurt for her to hurl. And it didn't smell like stomach acid anymore, just whatever she had eaten. Plus when she was able to sit up most of the time on her own, it did help keep the food down. We found that giving her more frequent feedings and less amount each time also helped. And surprisingly, making sure her diaper wasn't too tight.

8. hsuter

hsuter Well-Known Member

Once you get the med combo right many babies are not in pain anymore although many still reflux-as pp mentioned.
    Prevacid, or any PPI, can take up to 2 weeks to see full resluts although many see results within a few days or a week. If your dd is still showing strong symptoms, especially pain, in 2 weeks I could call the GI and possibly try a different med. My dd does better on prilosec than she did on prevacid...it took about 2 months of pushing the GI for a med change but its worth it. She still eats very minimal amounts but she is atleast consistant now. And she still does silent reflux sometimes.
    80th percentile is great!!! I was super thrilled when my dd went from 10th-25th,lol! As long as they are gaining weight though I've found that most GI's arent too concerned

Hope the med increase helps!