question and advise on breaking co-sleeping

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Saramcc, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Saramcc

Saramcc Well-Known Member

Since my DD was 7 months, she just stopped liking being in her crib or even the pack n play. When she's completely asleep I try to sneak her in her crib and it's like she senses this and instantly wakes up crying. She will only sleep all night if she is in bed with me. So I assumed it was they didn't like the closed in feeling of a crib. It's been that way since. Then my DS started only sleeping in my bed since he was 13 months. He would cry and fuss if he was put in his crib, not sure how that all came about.

So anyway, they both have been co-sleeping with me and I actually love it but I want to break this habit. We're moving to a house hopefully in two months and the twins will still be sharing a room. I'm thinking of maybe trying to convert their crib into the next stage down (it's a 4-in-1 crib) which is the daybed look, bars lowered always all the way down and an opening so they can get in and out of bed. This would only be if we had the room childproofed and a lock on the door so they couldn't get out and wonder around in the middle of the night.

My question is: do you think this would be too soon (they will be almost 2 years old by then) and when did your kids start sleeping in a toddler bed?

2. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I have no advice since mine are still in cribs :blush: I just wanted to wish you alot of luck. :hug: :hug: And remember that when you are ready to start something to not give up, stay strong and give it a few days to work.

3. Maymay

Maymay Well-Known Member

Gosh, I'm sure this really isn't the answer you want to hear but I don't think you're going to get them to sleep in their own beds without some crying. You know your kids best so take what I say with a grain of salt but I think if you try to put them in toddler beds you just going to wind up with two kids beating on the door, crying for you. I would think it would be easier to get them to sleep in their own bed in a crib.
    I really don't know a lot about this issue so maybe I'm way off-base, I just try to think of what my kids would do in that situation.
    Good luck, I hope it all goes okay :)

4. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

Jacob co-slept with us until he was 11 months old. He was still nursing and began wanting to nurse all.night.long.... so, in a fit of sleepless desperation, I pulled out a PNP at 3:00 am one night and put him in it. There was no careful planning, I just hit my limit and had to do something to regain my sanity. I assumed he would scream all night. He only screamed for maybe 10-15 minutes, then went to sleep, and never had any major issues after that as far as needing to co-sleep. I was astonished. At your kids' age, things might be different, but I would also say that if these were my kids I would probably try to get them used to sleeping alone in a crib (maybe even with a crib tent? You can talk to them about camping and tell them how cool tents are, etc...) before I transitioned to a toddler bed. That way, if you have to do CIO at least you know they are safely contained. However, I'm one who is not at all anxious to move to a toddler bed under any circumstances (short of mine learning to open their crib tents).

GL!!

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

:hug: I agree with everyone else. I think you should try to get them to sleep on their own in cribs and then when you move, decide if they are ready for toddler beds. Mine are still in cribs (2y4m) and we are probably going to move them to beds in a couple of weeks. GL!!! Whatever you decide to do though, be consistent and stay strong. :hug:

6. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

Great advice here. I used to say to myself "mommy has decided..." and tell myself I have drawn a line in the sand and no going back. I think they will sense you mean business and likely not be as difficult as you think. Don't let them smell weakness !!