Question about underwear for those of you with same sex twins

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by AimeeThomp, Feb 22, 2010.

1. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was just thinking about this. Currently my girls share a dresser and I need to make them an underwear drawer so I'm not always hunting for panties. Do your twins share panties? If not, how do you designate which belong to each child? I was thinking that if it were me I wouldn't want to share underwear with my sister. Maybe it doesn't matter at this age, but if not, then at what age do they stop sharing panties?

My only idea is that currently I only have Minnie Mouse panties. I could buy some Dora panties or anything that's different and designate the Minnies as Amelia's and the Doras as Lily's or something like that.

2. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

great question! can't wait to hear some answers!! I have b/g twins, but at one point was thinking plain white underwear might be easier... but then I'd have the issue you're talking about. so I guess flowers and trucks are the way for me to go?

3. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

I don't bother to try. I just make sure they all get washed well. They switch back and forth and it's been fine.

However, when they get older and want to be sure this doesn't happen, I will probably opt to color code for separation. They are 7 now.

4. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

Mine share. I don't know when/if they will stop. Too much hassle for me. I wash all undergarments in hot water and dried in the dryer. I think that is enough. :pardon:

5. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Same here!

6. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't mind my girls sharing underwear since I wash them in hot water, but they each have certain pairs that they have claimed as theirs and pairs that they think are their sisters.
    I let them pick which character underwear they wanted if they are shopping are with me.

7. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Mine share. I can't imagine trying to separate them out... too much effort IMO.

8. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

My girls share and will until THEY sort their own laundry or their is a large size difference. My 13 and 11 yr old sons wear plaid boxers - they both wear the same size so I have no idea who's are who's so I just 1/2 them and stick them in each drawer. They have NEVER complained. Until we moved they even shared the same drawer.

9. brlowe

brlowe Well-Known Member

My girls share the same ones. In the beginning I tried to keep them separate, but then they started wanting to wear the same thing. So, now I have no idea whose is whose. I don't think it really matters at this age. (My girls are 2yrs 3 months.)

10. Heathermomof5

If I had b/g twins and was planning on buying those same shaped thicker training undies to start the potty training thing I would just buy white ones - actually I bought white ones for my girls that way I can use a little bleach on them if needed. BUT they do have cute little undies or even boxers for toddlers and sweet panties for her so if I had b/g they would share some and have a few of their own too!

11. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Mine share, except they each have a few "special" pairs (some that I bought in celebration of their first day in underwear, and some that Santa brought them). Sometimes they wear each other's special underwear by accident and I don't point it out -- I figure if they care enough to keep them separate, it's their job to keep track of it.

12. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Ditto. I'm sure the day will come where they will have their own, but I'll wait for their request.

13. luvrkids

luvrkids Well-Known Member

My girls share and like PP's they have underwear that they claim as their own. My girls also wear boy underwear and love them mostly because they only make Toy story and Finding nemo for boys and they are sooo into Buzz,Woody and Nemo right now. :D

1 person likes this.
  14. Heathermomof5

that is so funny!!! Yesterday Addison REALLY REALLY wanted Buzz undies!! I told her no that they were for boys NOW I feel bad! I should have just bought them! It is nice to know that I am not alone with the girl that wants Buzz undies!

15. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

Mine share. My 8 & 10 year old share too - I don't see this changing anytime soon!

16. Ericka B

Ericka B Well-Known Member

I have boys but it never even occurred to me to separate their underwear :pardon: Mine too have certain pairs that they have claimed their own and I just let them share.

17. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

My DD's would love to have some Cars underwear, but they only make them for boys!

18. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

As long as they are clean, they'll share. If they're dirty- they'll wear their ownl LOL.

19. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

LOL okay guess I am the only weirdo who thought about this! :blink: Maybe it's b/c I never had a sister!

20. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

We have a collection of undies- Mickey Mouse, Sesame Street, Cars.... but what I've done is the ones with the one big picture on the bum are Joel's, and the ones that are more "patterned" all over are Bryan's. It's ended up a pretty even split.

ETA- not that they're actually wearing them yet... we tried a few months back and gave up! :crazy:

21. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

No I did it too lol. They shared then I thought they should have their own but they both liked the same so I went and put initials in all their underwear, real pain that was sorting lol lasted couple of weeks. Now they are different sizes and like different motives so its fine, but they shared for at least 2 years.

22. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Nope, I've thought of it too. :good:

I am going to wait until they request it. Once they start having more of an opinion about what they want to wear and buy, etc., then we will talk about designating undies for each of them.

23. Buttercup1

Buttercup1 Well-Known Member

I never thought about it until now, since my girls aren't wearing undies. I guess I agree with everyone else that they'll share until they decide they each want their own.

24. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

My big boys who are almost 8 and 10 share still LOL! One does like more loose boxers and the other prefers more boxer briefs, but in a pinch they still wear whatever. I made the twins undies and if they weren't the same I would have fighting! So there is no way to tell them apart. I don't even think I would want to try. We have a hard enough time getting through the laundry for the 6 of us.

25. andrew/kaitlyn/smom

andrew/kaitlyn/smom Well-Known Member

Mine share, and occasionally, if they're in the mood for Dora, they'll raid their older sister's underwear drawer too. Since half of their underwear has been passed down, they also wear boy underwear (and for some reason they seem to prefer these). If I remember correctly, some of my cousins (three sisters) had no problem sharing underwear right through middle school...

26. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

Count us in with everyone else, my big girls share too and they are nearly 7. Nothing wrong with thinking about it though!

I do think that if you wanted to give them their own the easiest way would be to give each their own colour(s).

27. shoudeshell

shoudeshell Well-Known Member

Mine share. We have two dressers for them, but I put all their undies in one drawer. I didn't buy character ones except for The Little Mermaid ones. All the rest are just plain with maybe flowers or castles or hearts on them. My girls have just recently begun to tell me what their favorite colors are. So I'll pick out their panties based on what color they like. When those are gone I'll give them a choice. For the most part they don't care, but sometimes they do. I figure once they start to demand their "own" type, then I'll separate their undies into separate drawers.

28. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

They used to be split because of size but now that Jess has gained weight they share.

29. brookbranplus2

brookbranplus2 Well-Known Member

Mine have only been potty trained for a couple of weeks but they have been sharing. Honestly they have even traded their "dirty" underwear :bad:

30. Username

Username Well-Known Member

I never gave it a second thought. But while potty training I've been known to take a dry diaper off one kid and put it on the other if I think she is about to go and I didn't plan ahead!

I keep my standards very low, that way I meet expectations! :ibiggrin:

31. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

The boys shared for the longest time. They also shared a dresser. Now they each have their own dresser and the reason they don't share undies anymore is because they are in different sizes now.

32. Haley'sHope

Haley'sHope Well-Known Member

No, this occurred to me, to when mine were around 5. I asked my husband about it and he didn't see anything weird about them sharing until I said well would you wear Tommy's underwear (his brother) and he said "No!". We are both a little germ phobic, hehe. So, we bought them separate undies and told them these are yours and these are your brothers. George wears Gap undies and Owen wears Gymboree undies and that's how we can tell them apart.

33. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

My boys share one underwear draw they are the same size and it would cause too many fights. If I designated say spongebob for one and transformers for the other eventually, they want to wear what the other has.

34. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I have b/g but in the summer I'll put Ian's boxers on Abby to sleep in!

35. RondaJo

RondaJo Well-Known Member

All of my children have their own underwear, but all of the girls still share. In fact they sometimes prefer to wear their brother's underwear. I have a drawer in one of the bathrooms that I just stick all of their underwear in and they pick whatever they want when it comes time to change them.

I figure they will stop sharing if/when they decide to stop.