Question about ultrasound and determining gender.

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by JVC0625, Jul 10, 2007.

1. JVC0625

JVC0625 Well-Known Member

I have an u/s scheduled at 18 weeks 3 days. The will probably use the hand-held portable u/s machine. Will they be able to tell the genders with the portable or will I probably have to wait until the 20 week scan? I am so ready to find out what these babies are! Then I can do some serious shopping! ;) Has anyone ever found out gender with a portable? It was pretty blurry at the last one (I was 13 weeks and 5 days, though). Will it be clearer since the babies are bigger now?

2. Cheesecake

Cheesecake Well-Known Member

I haven't with the little portable one but with the big fancy shmancy perinatologist one I was told at 12.6 ish wks I was having a boy and a girl. yup 12wks! so I'm guessing at that point they should be able to tell on the portable. Unless its just a really outdated machine.

3. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm not sure what the hand held portable u/s machine is. But with a regular one we found out the sexes at 17w3d. Actually at my 13 w appt. the tech told me she thought Baby B was a boy, he looked a little thick between the legs she said, and turns out she was right!

4. Tina Ross

Tina Ross Well-Known Member

I was right at 18 weeks. Good Luck..I know how exciting it is to find out..Let us know!

5. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

They used a portable for me at L&D at 11 wks...they didn't attempt to look at the gender at that time, but as far as the image it looked the same as most regular u/s machines...

6. Stephanie1074

Stephanie1074 Well-Known Member

Well, I went in at 20 weeks for an office appointment. They did an ultrasound on the portable and couldn't tell gender. I had to wait a week until I went into the hospital for my ultrasound, and they could tell pretty easily.

7. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

My doctor never used a portable machine just the regular computer sized one. We found out that Baby A was a girl at 16 weeks and that Baby B was a girl at 20 weeks. This time around I found out that the baby was a boy at almost 19 weeks - he was a stubborn one.