question about twin term pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by newtothis, Feb 26, 2009.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

went to a new peri today and he said his goal is to keep me pregnant until i'm 34 weeks.
    he said once 34 weeks passes, i'm 'good to go.'

is that early or right on target in your opinion.

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My doctor has said she won't let me go past about 37 weeks with mono-di twins.. The average for twins is 35.5 I have heard. I think after 34 the chances of htem being quite healthy are pretty good! I think the longer you can keep them in there, the better, but there comes a point where it's not worth fighting the labour.

3. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

My ob told me she considered 37 weeks full term with twins. I think unless there's a reason to deliver at 34 I'd wait as long as I could... good luck!

4. newpairofschus

newpairofschus Well-Known Member

My ob just discussed this with me yesterday. She said that "officially" she'd like to see me make it to 36 wks, but would truthfully be ok with anything beyond 34.

Eve

5. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

thank you.
    he said that once im past 34 weeks, he wants to keep the babies in me as long as possible. but once i was 34 weeks they were developed.

I have di di twins

6. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

My doc told me the 'goal' is go get to at least 34 wks. But to be considered 'full term' you'd be 36-37 wks.

7. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

34 weeks is a great goal... you can do it momma! :good: :hug:

8. jasonsmommy

jasonsmommy Well-Known Member

Yes, 37 Weeks is considered full term for twins.

9. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

My peri said that 38 weeks is full term for twins although some say 37. He also said that the extra week can make a huge differnce between NICU or not. My cousin had her babies at 38 weeks and 1 still needed NICU so you never know.

I am SHOCKED :eek: at a 34 week goal. That's really low standards unless you have a history of pre-term labor or other complications that indicate such an early birth. I would say the majority of 34 weekers need NICU time and I would hope my peri's goal would be to not have any NICU time. Personally, I would be concerned at such low expectations from my peri.

10. Ebick4d

Ebick4d Member

My doctor said they would no longer stop labor at 35 weeks, but 37 was the goal. I delivered via scheduled c-section at 37w4d. She said even those extra 4 days past 37 weeks were important for lung development, especially for the boy. Both were very healthy and required no NICU or special nursery time.

11. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i had some early signs of PTL so my doc was happy with every extra week that we got. but she said that after 34 weeks, if i went into labour they would not try & stop it. if i went longer than 34 weeks, great! and then they were going to look at inducing at 36 weeks (i had mono/di girls). i went into labour at 34 weeks exactly & the girls were born the next day. they spent 13 days in the NICU.

12. Angelsamb

Angelsamb Well-Known Member

I'm trying for 35 weeks but I've heard that at 34 they are good to go! Good luck and bake them for as long as you can hold them!

13. lilalyshia

lilalyshia Well-Known Member

My doctor said she likes to deliver twins between 37-38 weeks. She said after that could be bad for the health of the babies. and its better for them to be out then in. She said unless there is a reason to go earlier she wants me to make it to 37

14. Kaelan

Kaelan Well-Known Member

i just asked my peri when we were delivering, and he said between 34-36 weeks.

30W5D mono/di boys

15. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Many doctors vary on this. My dh & I attended a multiples class before our babies were born and the instructor told us that full term for twins was 37 weeks. DH was VERY anxious to meet the twins so he attended a dr. appt. with me with the intention of setting a date. (I was in no hurry.) The doctor explained it very well. Twins don't grow faster than 'singletons.' A 37 week old (gest) baby is still only 37 weeks old (gest.). The longer you bake them the better. Yes, 34 weeks is a great goal, but 38 weeks would be better. Babies do develop different, hence the different weights at the same gestation.
    GOod luck.

QUOTE(jasonsmommy @ Feb 26 2009, 01:39 PM) [snapback]1206772[/snapback]
    Yes, 37 Weeks is considered full term for twins.

16. lewis514

lewis514 Well-Known Member

Yes, I've heard many different answers from different posters.
    My doc considers 37 weeks full term but he said if we get to 34 weeks, he calls it "fat city" because we've passed alot of milestones and they won't try to stop labor from occurring. They prefer we get to 37 as well.

17. hot2trottt4u

hot2trottt4u Well-Known Member

when we found out it was twins my Ob said i would not make it to 37 weeks.
    we induced at 38 weeks and 4 days

18. krisdeb04

krisdeb04 Well-Known Member

I'm in the hospital on bed rest until my babies are born. My doctors told me when I first came in for PTL that once you get to 34 weeks they won't do anything to stop labor. My doctors don't think that I will make it past 34 weeks, but I'm trying to keep them in for as long as possible. They said if I do deliver at 34 weeks they would most likely have some NICU time, but not for too long.

19. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

The main concern is lung development, and at 34 weeks, most babies lungs have matured--they don't even give steroids at that point, since the steroids can only mature the lungs to the 34 week point. That is why they won't try to top labor after 34 weeks. My OB and Peri said that 36 weeks was as far as I needed to go. Because the hospital was booked, my induction date was at 36 1/2 weeks. But, my blood pressure started rising, and I ended up giving birth at 36 weeks exactly. As for NICU, you never know. My boys were 6-2 and 6-10 at birth, but the one that was 6-10 was the one sent to NICU--he was there 36 hours, and released with his twin and I on time.

Also, at 34 weeks, all development is complete--for most babies, and they are just growing at that point.

20. Chicklet

Chicklet Well-Known Member

This post is really informative for me as I've only seen my family doc who said we're keeping my due date the same :mellow: b/c the babies measure 12weeks at my 12w6d Ultrasound. I can't wait to see my OB LOL

My sil had her twins at 34weeks and they spent 2 weeks in the NICU. Their goal was the same as everyone elses, to get her to 34 weeks which they did!

21. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

I think that's a little early. Every doctor is different but mine considered 37 weeks as F/T with twins. If there were no complications to carry as long as I could after that. I had no complications and my water broke at 39w2d. Unless there is a problem with you or the babies to take them at 34 weeks seems way too early IMO.

22. newpairofschus

newpairofschus Well-Known Member

I agree that the closer to 38wks the better, but I'm not getting the impression the OP's peri was implying that they would "take" the babies (ie, scheduled c-section, induction, etc.) at 34 weeks. I would imagine that he was trying to give her a realistic date of when she can take a little breath of relief. My doctor has given me smallish milestones throughout the pregnancy that help to reassure me. As I already posted, she too gave the "unofficial" 34 wk marker to start breathing easier but clearly stated that she'd LIKE them to hold out to 36-38 wks.

Eve