Question about pregnancy with twins

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by monica77, Feb 4, 2010.

1. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Hi,

We just found out that we are having twins last week so we are very excited and of course, I have tons of questions. I love this website, I found answers to a lot of my questions so far and I appreciate everyone who is sharing their experience here, it makes a big difference to know what to expect. I still can't believe it, we are so excited, I did IVF and I just feel so lucky that it worked and also that we are having twins. It makes the whole pain associated with infertility a thing of the past.

I have a weird, rather embarrassing question that I haven't found the answer for... yet. This is week 7 of my pregnancy. My body still looks normal, I can fit in regular clothes and I am constantly sick to my stomach, so I can't eat too much. I am not complaining about anything, I think I am lucky to be in this situation. I did notice however that my boobs are getting noticeably bigger. And it's only been 7 weeks :). I am normally size 34DD at 5'6" and 135 pounds, and even like this I get back aches because of my boobs. I am a bit concerned... how big will they get? None of my friends had twins, so I want to know the opinion of people that had twins. And also, do you guys have any suggestions that may help with the back ache? A friend suggested I should wear a sports bra at night, is that a good idea?

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories and I am looking forward to the whole twin pregnancy thing :) and I am also a bit scared by the whole thing, of course.

2. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:welcome: to Twinstuff. Congrats on your twins. :Clap: There is really no way to know for sure how big your boobs will get. I know mine definitely grew more with my twin pregnancy, but they didn't grow a whole lot bigger.

3. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Welcome to Twinstuff!! :welcome:
    Congratulations on your twin pregnancy! How exciting!!
    I agree with Amy, there is no way to know just how big your breasts will get, it varies from person to person but mine did get bigger during my twin pregnancy then my singleton...I think due to extra hormones and weight gain. If it's any consulation though, now they are smaller then they were before ever having kids! Darn it!
    I would suggest a good bra and being aware of your posture and making sure you keep your shoulders pulled back so you dont find yourself slouching, that should help your back!!
    Good luck and again welcome!

4. teamturner

teamturner Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your twins! My breasts also become noticeably larger early in my pregnancy... and they were very tender. I visited a maternity wear store around week 12 or 14 (I would have gone sooner had I thought of it) to be properly fit for a maternity bra. I ended up purchasing an extremely comfortable nursing bra, which I wear day and night (I am now 34 weeks). It's been such a relief. The saleswoman stated that it was common for mothers of twins to request maternity (either transitional or nursing) bras earlier than mothers of singletons.

Once my milk comes in, I will need to purchase a larger sized nursing bra, but I will be able to wear the current one as my breast size reduces again with time.

5. Sunny

Sunny Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your twins!!

I can only echo what everyone else is saying... you don't really know. Mine seem a lot bigger to me, but I guess it's more of a "fuller" feeling because I still fit into my bras just fine. Which is especially sad because I'm an A cup. After my milk came in with my son, I was a C and then a B for a while.

I was absolutely gigantic with my singleton pregnancy (he was 9 lbs 14 oz) and in my last trimester I purchased THIS to help with my sore back. I don't know if it will help in your situation, but maybe as your belly grows it would?

Good luck!

6. genagoodrow

genagoodrow Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, yes! The twins were my first pregnancy, and I didn't know there were two until the routine 20 week u/s. There was no reason to suspect, except in hindsight there were a couple subtle signs.

The most clear was the breasts! Yes, as soon as that positive pregnancy test showed my already generous breasts doubled in size. It was astounding. I was sick and actually losing weight, but there they were, these huge breasts. I joked I'd be able to feed an army and had no idea that's what I'd be doing!

But I don't think they grew too much after that first initial shock. :FIFblush:

Other weird symptom - the supernatural sense of smell.

Congrats and welcome!

7. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for the warm welcome, I am so glad to be here :).

Thank you for your replies, I appreciate it and I will follow your advise. I hope it won't get too much out of control. For now I am sick all the time, so I feel like I have been losing weight other than the issue I mentioned before...) Also, my boobs are always soar and my sense of smell became much more sharp - which doesn't help when any smell of food makes me nauseous :).

In the same time I feel so fortunate to be able to experience all this, and I hope things will go well. It's still a bit overwhelming for us, we just found out it will be twins on Friday and I know a lot can happen, but I am trying to be positive. I will continue to read these forums and I am sure I will have more questions as time passes.

Thanks again,

Monica

8. genagoodrow

genagoodrow Well-Known Member

I've posted this link a million times, but I love it. When you're tired and scared and discouraged, check out this blog post about going full term with twins. The blog was great but is sadly closed, but it's an encouraging story with hundreds of great comments. Including mine! This post got me through the scary twin shock.

Enjoy:

http://www.lookydaddy.com/weblog/2007/06/i_know_that_mos.html

9. The sportsbra at night recommendation (and any other time, too!) is a good one because of the strain that pregnancy can put on the ligaments. When your boobs grow that fast, and the added weight, the ligaments will stretch more if not properly supported. Keeping them 'high and tight' lessens the strain on the ligaments, and can give you a better chance of lessening sagging afterwards.