question about cold vs warm bottles

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by newtothis, Feb 22, 2009.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

when you feed a baby a bottle isn't it suppose to be room temp or warm?

then why do some of the bottle carriers have ice packs?

2. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

I think it really depends on the baby/parents.
    Mine took room temp bottles, but I have a friend that would make up a batch of formula & keep it in the fridge & her son would have it cold.
    We use the ice packs now to keep the milk cold now that my girls are over 12 months & are drinking whole milk.
    :)

3. newtothis

ok and if its powdered formula?

is powdered or liquid better?

4. tamaras

The hospital provided us with liquid 'ready-to-feed' formula while we were in the hospital, but we ended up using powdered formula, it was more affordable for us and the babies didn't have any trouble going from the ready to feed kind vs. the powdered.

We occasionally would buy the little bottles of ready to feed Similac though If we knew we were going to be out & about for the day. It was more convenient to just pour it into their bottle than to measure out the scoops while we were at parties etc.

5. newtothis

QUOTE(tamaras @ Feb 22 2009, 05:05 PM) [snapback]1200611[/snapback]
    The hospital provided us with liquid 'ready-to-feed' formula while we were in the hospital, but we ended up using powdered formula, it was more affordable for us and the babies didn't have any trouble going from the ready to feed kind vs. the powdered.

We occasionally would buy the little bottles of ready to feed Similac though If we knew we were going to be out & about for the day. It was more convenient to just pour it into their bottle than to measure out the scoops while we were at parties etc.

thanks for that info
    i wasn't sure if one was prefered over the other. i guess the powdered is cheaper! sounds good, lol!!

6. dowlinal

dowlinal Well-Known Member

Once formula is mixed it needs to be refridgerated or it goes bad very quickly so if you are toting a pre-made bottle around you need the ice pack. To avoid this what you can do is carry bottles filled with water and a container w/ premeasured powdered formula. Then you just mix them as needed.

When I had my first, I came home from the hospital with a ton of liquid formula. When breastfeeding didn't work, we used up the liquid and then moved to powder. My second never used any formula until she was eating cereal. I always thought they were pretty equal, but I was recently told that newborns, especially premies, should not have powdered formula. There is a small risk of bacterial contamination for powdered formula but not for the liquid.

7. tamaras

QUOTE(newtothis @ Feb 22 2009, 02:09 PM) [snapback]1200615[/snapback]
    thanks for that info
    i wasn't sure if one was prefered over the other. i guess the powdered is cheaper! sounds good, lol!!

You bet :good:

I haven't heard of the risk of powdered formula in small infants as the pp mentioned, but you can always ask your Pediatrician their thoughts when they come to the hospital to check on the babies :)

We also kept a big container filled of water on our counter so it would stay room temp. for the bottles.
    I would fill it up at night & be all set for the next day.
    Also, just an FYI we went through a big container of formula about every 3 days.

8. BabyMoPlusThree

BabyMoPlusThree Well-Known Member

Okay, the carriers have ice packs because if you make a bottle beforehand (either powder formula or ready to drink), you have to use it within an hour or so or it is no good. So putting it in the cooler bag with the ice pack keeps it drinkable for longer.

I nursed and used formula with my singleton. We also kept a jug of water on the counter so that we could always have room temperature water and we used powdered formula at home. DD did not like cool beverages. However, they started selling 8 oz bottles of formula. They come in a case of 10- BRU has a bigger case as well. They look just like bottles of chocolate milk or Ensure, but it's Similac formula. They are shelf-stable, so I could just carry a couple in the bag and open them when DD got hungry. They were so convenient! They were even easier to use than the "sticks" of formula (pre-measured packets of powder that we added water to).

9. Joanna G

Joanna G Well-Known Member

QUOTE(dowlinal @ Feb 22 2009, 04:10 PM) [snapback]1200617[/snapback]
    To avoid this what you can do is carry bottles filled with water and a container w/ premeasured powdered formula. Then you just mix them as needed.

We used powdered formula & this is what we did when we went out. At home we'd keep a gallon of water at room temp & mix as needed. For night we'd fill the needed amount of bottles with water & then mix before feeding.

10. nicinthebu

nicinthebu Well-Known Member

I am thinking its in case you make the bottle and then have to travel. Ie: to the day care of or on an adventure. You would not want to leave forumal urefriderated.

11. scorpion509

scorpion509 Well-Known Member

When we bought bottle warmer for DS it dose have ice pack as well, so if you decided to make the bottle in the evening for the night feeding.
    I did and put icepack and bottle and keep it untill 1am feeding and warm the bottle in the warmer after that and milk ( breast milk) was fine. so I don't need to run downstair in the middle of the night to prepare the bottle.

12. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

Just to clarify... the jug of room temperature water that people keep on the counter was previously boiled then cooled. You can buy formula containers which have 3 compartments for formula.

I used powdered formula / plus I breastfed. I gave my girls various temperatured bottles (never a cold from the fridge) even to this day they will take any type of temperature.

In Australia we have tetra packs (single serve) of formula that I used when we were out. (pre-mixed formula) This formula was different than the formula we gave them at home. My girls had no problem with drinking two different types of formula. So don't worry about moving from one formula to the next.

Heather

13. hot2trottt4u

hot2trottt4u Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing but when we were in the hospital having babies one nurse told me to just have them get used to it cold or out of the fridge and it will make your life so much easier and i must say once we switched to formula (powdered) it was so nice in the middle of the night to not have to sit and wait to get a bottle to the right temp.