Putting kids to bed w/ wet hair after baths

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by imlodog, May 14, 2008.

1. imlodog

imlodog Well-Known Member

we've always put our kids to bed after tubby and their hair is wet. the room isn't cold...so i'm thinking it isn't a problem..but when the summer comes and the a/c is on....it might be. what do you do? do you blow dry their hair? my dd's hair is pretty long...my ds has a buzzcut, so that isn't an issue.

thanks for your advice.

Lois

2. 2Xthelove

2Xthelove Well-Known Member

good question. i put mine to bed now after baths too. their hair isn't soaked but damp. i don't think they will get sick but i am wondering if they will get cold from a wet head. i am curious about what others have to say. maybe if you turned down the ac or off for a bit until their hair was dry it will be better. i dont know lol

3. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

I think it is fine. If you are worried they will get sick, they won't. Just keep this mantra in mind; being cold doesn't make people sick. GERMS make people sick.

My ped told me that it's an old wives tale about wet hair. He said you can take a kid out in the middle of winter with a wet head (of course not for a rediculous amount of time) and it won't make them sick. The only thing that makes people sick is exposure to Germs/viruses and what have you.

I would suggest to just towel dry as much as possible (especially if your kids use pillows). I know when I go to sleep at night, I often put a towel on my pillow if my hair is wet. I just feel like it makes the pillow smell after a while. But we have put the girls to sleep MANY times with wet hair (and the ac blasting) and they have always been just fine.

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hi Lois, We have always put all 3 of our kids to bed with wet hair weather we have the heat or a/c on. It's never been a problem.

5. 2Xthelove

2Xthelove Well-Known Member

QUOTE(double-or-nothing @ May 14 2008, 08:27 PM) [snapback]774002[/snapback]
    I think it is fine. If you are worried they will get sick, they won't. Just keep this mantra in mind; being cold doesn't make people sick. GERMS make people sick.

My ped told me that it's an old wives tale about wet hair. He said you can take a kid out in the middle of winter with a wet head (of course not for a rediculous amount of time) and it won't make them sick. The only thing that makes people sick is exposure to Germs/viruses and what have you.

I would suggest to just towel dry as much as possible (especially if your kids use pillows). I know when I go to sleep at night, I often put a towel on my pillow if my hair is wet. I just feel like it makes the pillow smell after a while. But we have put the girls to sleep MANY times with wet hair (and the ac blasting) and they have always been just fine.

love your girls names they are beautiful....

i also heard it was a tale about getting sick with a wet head

6. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

QUOTE(double-or-nothing @ May 14 2008, 09:27 PM) [snapback]774002[/snapback]

I'm just going to ditto Mel! :good: She said it perfectly! :D

7. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

When my son goes to bed with his hair wet, I get a dry towel and put it on his pillow so that it will not get his pillow wet. Then when I go to bed I just take the towel off his pillow and his hair is dry by then. I, too, have to agree with pp, wet hair doesn't make you sick--germs do.

8. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

QUOTE(TwinLove @ May 14 2008, 09:33 PM) [snapback]774016[/snapback]
    I'm just going to ditto Mel! :good: She said it perfectly! :D

Aaaaaaaw shucks :blush: Thanks Liz :wub:

9. imlodog

imlodog Well-Known Member

thanks girls..i guess it was just another thing i worried about for no reason :)

10. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Funny, I was just thinking this last night as we put our kids to bed with wet hair. well, we did it all last summer and it wasn't a problem, so I hope it will be OK this summer too. I don't think they'll really be cold, but I'm a little worried that they'll start complaining because they just don't like going to bed with wet hair. (I sure don't.) If so, I guess we'll try to do baths before dinner...?

11. swp0525

swp0525 Well-Known Member

I guess I'm the odd man out, but I've always blown-dry Sarah's hair. I've been doing it so long she just expects it. I don't use any heat, just the "air" setting...it takes two minutes and we're done. I never thought she was going to get sick as much as I didn't want her to get a chill and I've also noticed that if she sleeps on wet hair it looks dirty in the morning IMO.

12. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

Sofia has long hair and if I let it air dry it takes forever. So I blow dry it, she doesn't mind. The wet head might not make her sick but it will make the pillow damp and that can cause mold and mildew and that can make them sick.

13. symercat

symercat Well-Known Member

We blow our girls hair dry too. I just thought they would be more comfortable that way, and yes, it does look better in the morning. We just use the air- no heat- also and use the low setting. They seem to like it.

14. billandginastwins1

billandginastwins1 Well-Known Member

I have been blow drying Bella's hair for over a year or more now. Camden has a really short boy hair cut..so his I let dry.

The reason I blow dry Bella's is because she has a cute bob with bangs and if I didn't blow it dry, it would dry everywhere overnight. This way, it looks good in the morning and we only have to brush it. I only wash my kids hair every other night. Of course, when they were younger, it was every night cause they got food in it, or would get it wet every night in the bath anyway.

In the summer, I actually let my kids hair air dry more often, because they usually don't go to bed right after their baths and we may watch a movie, or sit on the front porch a while before bed...so it has time to dry.

15. matwetwins

matwetwins Well-Known Member

We always blow dry everyone hair before bed. We've just always done it.

16. shoudeshell

shoudeshell Well-Known Member

Lois, I ditto what Mel said as well...we always do bath right before bed time and usually it's mostly dry by the time we chase the girls down to lotion them and diaper them and dress them and comb their hair out! I've never blown their hair dry and I know it would freak them out if I did so I just don't do it. If it makes you feel better to blow it dry then do it, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. GL!

17. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

I just towel-dry as much as I can, then put a towel on Nadia's pillow so it doesn't get wet. I can't blow dry her hair, as she has a big mop of curls that would just explode, LOL.

It's never been a problem -- I do use Biolage's smooth shine milk (or something like that) in her hair, to avoid tangles. (Cracks me up, as I use plain old Suave on my hair....but she really needs the expensive stuff!) She just wakes up with it a little extra-curly.

18. Amy R.

Amy R. Well-Known Member

We used to towel dry and braid the girls' hair before they went to bed when it was long enough. Just so it was easier to brush in the morning and so their heads weren't laying right on the wet hair. For the periods of time that they have had short hair, it was blow dried - jsut for easier style in the morning. Now they shower in the mornings before school, and often in the middle of the day on weekends, and they blow dry hair themselves, or just style it wet.

My boys' hair can easily be dried with a towel.