pumping: what kind of gear do i need?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by AKilburn, Aug 13, 2012.

1. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

A friend of mine is letting me borrow her Medela pump in style electric pump, I went out and got new tubing (that isn't easy to find around here!), the breast pump accessory kit, and a few more bottles. My question is, I see all these different types of nipple sheilds/contact shields, I obviously got the breast shields bit do I need to purchase the nipple sheilds too? And how will I know what size I will need if I have to get them?

Also I've read about going ahead and starting to pump so you get the hang of it before the babies are born, however I'm a little scared of doing this as I dont want to go into labor, c/s is scheduled for this friday. What are y'alls thoughts?

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If your babies are close to full term they probably won't need nipple shields. I would wait and request an LC in the hospital and ask if you think it's necessary.

I did not pump beforehand. IMHO it's not necessary at all- you may not ever need to pump. :) Pumping isn't super easy but the main thing is to get your nipple in the center of the horn- and use Lanolin! I would advise you to watch this video- it's short as it shows how to get the most out of pumping.

3. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

With my oldest, I took the pump with me to the hospital and the nurses/lc showed me how to use it but I didn't actually use it. With the twins I took the pump to the hospital just in case either of the girls had a problem but didn't actually use it until they were 6 weeks old and I needed to start filling the freezer for my return to work. I personally prefer waiting as long as possible to use the pump so that the babies can let my body know how much milk to make and I don't muck it up with pumping. And I honestly don't know that I would have gotten much more than frustration out of pumping before any of them were born and the milk came in.

4. j-squared

j-squared Well-Known Member

I didn't take my pump to the hospital for either birth, but I think it could be worth it if you think to pack it but you hopefully won't need it.

I did have to pump a few times the first 1-2 weeks with my twins due to DD's latching issue (she wasn't latching well), but after that I've only pumped now that I'm back at work. I just posted in another thread that I'm lazy and so Id' rather just nurse babies all the time to build supply rather than muck around with nursing and pumping. I have been lucky this time that we've had no major issues with breastfeeding(I had to pump with DS1 for 6 weeks because he kept tearing me to shreds--but don't be alarmed, that's not normal!).

5. jdorourk

jdorourk Well-Known Member

I would check with your hospital to see what they provide. Mine let all moms use a breastpump while there - Medela Symphony and they provided me two breast pump starter kits. I took home a rented Symphony pumps. If they have an LC on staff they should be able to tell you what size breast shields you need. Do not buy nipple shields! Nipple shields are for nursing, not pumping. Only use them if absolutely necessary due to latch issues, and under the direction of an LC. I had to use nipple shields in the hospital due to poor latch and I just now finally weaned DD off it at 4 mos old.

I wouldn't worry about pumping now. Just be familiar with the parts and how the pump works. the nurses at the hospital gave me the pump but didnt' tell me how to use it. Until I saw the LC the next day I had one of my friends who visited show me.

Good luck!!

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My hospital had the Symphony as well and actually brought it to me before I asked (which ticked me off at the time, lol). I was told it's best for bringing in the milk, but then a Pump In Style would be just fine for when the milk was in (I had the PIS at home).

7. Yoyomilli

Yoyomilli Active Member

Even if you don't think you will need it--take your pump to the hospital! The LC can show you how to use it and I need be get you any extra parts you may need. As a bonus, my insurance paid for extra parts that I had forgotten.

My twins were born at 35 weeks and DS had no latch. I pumped around the clock starting a few hours after my c section until they were 10 days old. The only thing that I would highly recommend is a hands free pumping bra. My LC made one out of the gauze belly wrap at the hospital, but it is nice to have one that washes well and has a zipper.

I have to admit I HATE pumping. Just started doing it again to build up freezer supply for going back to work. It was a nice 10 week break.