Pumping Question

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by gina_leigh, Dec 12, 2013.

1. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm planning on breastfeeding Caleb when he's born. I didn't have any trouble at all with my milk or supply with the twins, but Jason never latched right and I gave up and ended up pumping for them. I sold my pump when they were a year old. And I had a nice double electric Medela. 

When I first found out I was pregnant with #3, our insurance contacted me and suggested I join their healthy mom & baby program and mentioned that with joining I'd get a free double electric Medela. I got really excited because those things are really expensive. 

I got an email yesterday from my case manager/nurse from the program and decided to ask her when I'd be getting my pump in. Well, the requirements to get the pump are to be up-to-date and deliver the baby. I'm supposed to call them when the baby is born and then they will send it. 

I'm frustrated because I pumped with the twins in the hospital. I was encouraged to have my pump there and start pumping right away to help my milk come in and all that. Now I don't know what to do. I really wanted it before delivery. And I think it's really crappy to make me wait. 

All that back story to ask, do you think it will okay to go a few days without the pump? Do I just go buy my own and tell BCBS to keep theirs?

Thanks! 

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

When I was in the hospital with the twins, they had a pump there I could use. Would that be a possibility where you are delivering?

3. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

They let me use a pump in the hospital. And I could rent it by the month after. That should cover you.

4. gina_leigh

I'm pretty sure they do have pumps there. I can double check at my next appt since I'm going every two weeks now. 

Rachael, did you have to set up the rental before delivery or were you able to do while there for the delivery? I'll make sure to see what our hospital does. I know they are very very supportive of breastfeeding, so I'm sure they'll make it fairly easy. Or at least that's my hope! 

5. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I was able to do it while there for delivery. Totally easy. Someone came by and asked me about it with Ellie too even though I wasn't breast feeding (different hospital, same network).

6. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

You should be able to get one at the hospital as PPs habe said. But if supply isn't a concern and th.e baby will latch, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I know there's no guarantee that the baby will latch well but if they do, you might be able to wait for the one from your insurance. :)

It is a pain that they won't send it earlier.

7. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Are you needing to pump to start a stash? If not, don't worry about pumping for the first couple of weeks. The most effective way to "bring your milk in" and avoid supply issues or engorgement is to breastfeed your munchkin as much and as often as they want. If they aren't breastfeeding, spend time skin to skin. Delegate your other responsibilities so that all you need to do is rest and recuperate and get to know the baby. :)

8. gina_leigh

Thanks ladies!

I'm actually a little more intimidated by breastfeeding one than I was the thought of two, or pumping for two. Before I had my pumping schedule down pat and it exhausting, but not much to it. It seems like there's more to keep track of with one! (Last side nursed, etc.)

I'm actually going to take the breastfeeding class at the hospital too just brush up on things.

And one reason I wanted to start to pump at least some, was I do want to start a stash so that Chris can help with feedings too. Aimee gave me a great idea about how to get a decent stretch of sleep by having a night owl husband and I want to try it. (Basically, put baby to bed and leave dad with one feeding. When baby wakes up again, Dad does feeding and you get one solid stretch of sleep. Next time baby wakes up, you nurse like normal.) 

9. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

With just one baby it's usually pretty obvious which side you need to start on because one's much fuller. :laughing: If you feel up to it and want to start pumping right away then definitely go for it but if you find at the time you'd rather not, there will be no harm in it. I think the shifts-at-night approach is a great idea once breastfeeding is well established (usually around 4-6 weeks). If you consistently skip a feeding prior to that, while your body is still creating and regulating your supply, you may find you have supply problems down the road (4-6 months).

10. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Nursing one baby after nursing two was easy for me, too. Rachel is right, you'll be able to feel it when he hadn't eaten on a side. I would wait, too, to start pumping. Just take some time to get to know your new little boy on the outside. :)

11. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know with my girls the hospital had pumps you could use to breastfeed, then recommended a pharmacy for the monthly rentals.  I had a Pump in style but wound up renting the hospital grade pump for the first month or two.

12. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

I got my pump through insurance, and also had to wait until after delivery...though it came pretty quickly. But like others have suggested, I'd wait on the pumping...they say you should wait until baby is 6weeks old. Just nurse,nurse, nurse those first few weeks. Also, i wear a rubber band on my wrist and switch it from wrist to wrist so i remember what side to start on at the next feeding. I exclusively pumped fir the twins, and it sucked! This baby is ebf and it's great! No bottles to prepare or clean...just pop a boob out, then put ut away when theyre done lol!

13. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:clapping: I love to hear stories like this.

14. gina_leigh

Thank you Danielle! I pumped for the twins and am hoping to only do it minimally with this one. Though I do like the idea of Chris doing 1 feeding at night, I know we need to establish supply and routine first.

I'm excited to breast feed this one and not deal with bottles very much!