Pulling/stretching feeling during 2nd trimester- what's normal?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by babyhopes09, Nov 4, 2009.

1. babyhopes09

babyhopes09 Well-Known Member

I'm 14 weeks and I have this pulling and stretching feeling across my abdomen in various places. I'm already showing in a very big way and am a bit nervous because of my history of miscarriage (we m/c'd at 10 weeks during our first pregnancy). Is this okay during the 2nd trimester? What kind of stretching or pulling did you have-? Any advice would be much appreciated!!!!!!!!!

2. watersurfers

watersurfers Well-Known Member

Well, I have been pregnant twice, first was with my single daughter, and second was the twins. I can certainly tell you there is so much stretching during a twin pregnancy, it is AMAZING! I was worried something was wrong, because it kept feeling different than my single pregnancy, almost cramp like. I ended up in L&D at 19 weeks, and was told it was again, JUST ligaments stretching! So, yes, it is normal. Just be sure to mention it to your OB given your history. Take care!

3. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

Ligament pain is definitely normal, but like the PP you may want to make sure to mention it to your Dr so he/she can confirm that is in fact what is going on. Just listen to your body, and follow your gut. If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to call your Dr, that is what they are there for. Best of Luck to you! :hug:

4. sigkap13

sigkap13 Active Member

Lots and lots of ligament pain here - much more and earlier (I'm also 14 weeks) that with my singleton DS. And I have to agree with a PP, sometimes it even feels more like cramps. I've read that in a singleton pregnancy between 12-16 weeks the uterus starts to grow up to the belly button, but for a twin pregnancy it gets 2-3 inches above...that's a lot of growing to do around this time, so everytime I feel like it's way more than before, I just try to remember that it's because it's twice as much baby :) I am definitely planning on keeping my doctor in the loop and letting her know my concerns at my next appointment. Best wishes to you for H&H 9!

5. christy.fisher

christy.fisher Well-Known Member

I've had a lot of stretching my entire pregnancy so far. Sometimes it feels like period cramps and sometimes it just feels like my muscles are tearing across my belly. I always mention it to the doctor just to be safe.

I seem to get growth spurts about every two weeks. On those days when I stand up in the morning I feel like my belly is going to tear asunder! I've taken tylenol on a few of those days because it's just so uncomfortable.

This is only the beginning for you! :) Just wait!

6. babyhopes09

7. babyhopes09

Thank you so much for your replies! That helps so much! I called my doc yesterday and the nurse said that it was probably just growing pains, but that I should keep an eye on it. I'm tempted to complain a bit more about it just to get a doppler/ultrasound to make sure they are okay!! (My next appointment isn't for another 2 and 1/2 weeks). Do you feel back pain along with the stretching??? Thanks ladies!!!! :)

8. heathlenore

heathlenore Well-Known Member

I am just finishing 13 weeks and I too went to the doc because I was concerned with the cramping, aching, pulling, and back soreness already. I told them I didn't have this with my first two pregnancies and they told me that it was because of the twin pregnancy. I was bummed b/c I wanted an ultrasound to check. I don't have another ultrasound til 20 weeks and that will only be my second. This pregnancy feels so different that every twinge makes me nervous.

9. k2daho

k2daho Well-Known Member

Oh boy...just the beginning! This is my first pregnancy so I had nothing to compare it to...but it sure seemed like there were always a LOT more twinges, aches, pains, stabs, pulls, etc than I'd ever heard from any singleton pregnant friend before! I always mention anything new to my OB, but it always ends up being "normal" and I've learned to just sort of roll with the punches and get used to all of these lovely feelings!

I went through a definite phase in the 2nd trimester where it felt like the underneath of my belly was going to rip open, and my belly constantly felt like one big bruise. And then of course there are the random, unprovoked stabbing pains that happen anywhere from the belly to what feels like right inside my vagina. Nowadays it's mostly just my ligaments screaming trying to hold up this giant belly!

Hang in there, ask your doctor about anything "new" and be prepared to hear a lot of "that's normal with a twin pregnancy"!

10. babyhopes09

That makes me feel SO much better! I am being totally neurotic, but I called my ob for the second time and they asked if I would feel better if I had an ultrasound on Monday. So, we're going to go and just make sure things are okay. The doctor does seem to think that it's "just normal" like you said!!

So, thank you thank you for making me feel better this weekend!!!

11. amymarie3

amymarie3 Well-Known Member

So far mine haven't been too bad but at the end of the day the bottom of my belly is so sore that all I can do is go home and go to bed.

12. Kristin N

Kristin N Well-Known Member

I had terrible back pain for a few weeks around 14ish weeks, but it got better as my uterus grew and gave the babies a chance to "float" up and get off my sciatic nerve. Of course as soon as that resolved itself a few weeks later I started feeling a tearing pain of my abdominal muscles tearing and separating. I think the babies were going through a growth spurt that my muscles had a hard time keeping up with. As of this very second, I'm much better...for now ;) There is so much growth that happens so quickly it can be hard for your body to adapt. Just let your ob know. And yay that they are going to get you an earlier u/s...if nothing else, it's great to have a few more early photos...my favorite part!

13. babyhopes09

They did get me in and both babies are good.. heartbeats good.. though one baby is 2 days ahead of schedule and the other is 3 days behind schedule. Hoping this is okay... I think part of my issue too is that we had fertility treatments done to get pregnant and both of my ovaries are very overstimulated still.. so I think that's contributing to the pain. I'm still on watch for torsion... so good to hear that a lot of other people (if not all) are going through similar aches and pains!

14. heathlenore

heathlenore Well-Known Member

Glad you got to see your babies and they are doing good!!

15. evemomma

evemomma Well-Known Member

What fitting post for me! I'll be 15 weeks tomorrow, and I couldn't sleep last night for the first time in a loooong time b/c my back ached so much. I figured it was b/c the babies must be really growing now. I have an 'irritable uterus' so I've been really concerned with what is 'contractions' and what is just tightness, pulling and stetching. This DEFINITELY feels different than a singleton pregnancy...you grow so much more slowly, you get to ease into the uncomfortable part of pregnancy a litte slower!

16. kmay

kmay Well-Known Member

This exactly, I am going through a growth spurt this week and it's not easy! Way more difficult than my DD's pregnancy. I actually thought my pregnancy was eptopic because the ligament pain was so bad from the get go, then we found it was twins. :)