Protein Shakes

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by knockedup, Jul 19, 2007.

1. knockedup

knockedup Active Member

Hello everyone :)
    I heard before that protein shakes help the babies grow? I've only heard it once, and don't remember where. Is this true? And if so, how many do you drink everyday? I've been in preterm labor, and have had to take 2 Betamethasone(steroid) shots for their lungs. So I was hoping the protein shake thing was true..I'd like to get them bigger in case I deliver soon. My doctor seems to think I'll deliver within the next few weeks. I went in to see him this morning, and didn't get to ask him about this, he was in a hurry.
    Thanks!

2. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

I've heard this too, but I'm not sure if it's true, though I'm sure it couldn't hurt... I've been drinking a boost (or ensure) high protein drink every day for the last few weeks and plan on doing that til I deliver. Good luck!

3. Kimkessenich

Kimkessenich Well-Known Member

I don't know if they help the babies grow, but I've been drinking 2 a day since I found out I was pregnant. I drink the protein powder mixed with 16 ounces of lactose free milk. I use a brand called "Bob's Red Mill" because it doesn't have anything in it except whey protien (none of the typical body-builder type stuff that's in other protein powders). I started drinking them to make sure I was getting enough protein in my diet since I can't handle dairy.

4. SilvrHeart

SilvrHeart Well-Known Member

i drank a boost a day til my doctor found out and told me to stop - he said it has unhealthy amounts of sugar. Why not try the South Beach high-protein cereal bars instead? 10g of protein per bar and less sugar than a Boost shake.

5. jesstheca

jesstheca Well-Known Member

Protein is an essential nutrient during pregnancy, especially when carrying two babies. if a protein shake helps add to your protein intake during the day then definitely add them to your diet. I have a smoothie for breakfast every morning and the combination of milk and yogurt pack in quite a bit of protein.

6. JensBoys

JensBoys Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's true - I was drinking 2 a day because my boys had TTTS (they were born at 34 weeks - 3.5lbs and 4.1lbs).

But honestly, I say go for it because it really can't hurt!

7. xavier2001

xavier2001 Well-Known Member

Not sure about it helping the babies grow, but my doctor has had me on protein shakes because I am not gaining weight like I should. She said 2 per day, I drink the Boost. It does have alot of sugar, but I passed my gestational diabetes test despite this, so she is not concerned. I have only gained a net of 4 pounds in 28 weeks (I lost 10, then gained 14), but my babies are in the 65th and 70th percentile for growth, not sure if it has to do with the shakes or not, but it certainly is not hurting.

Good luck!

ETA: Also, I have been eating "Cliff Bars" to help up my protein intake as well. They are organic, made of soybean and oat, taste good, and don't have as much artificial sugar. They taste pretty good as well.

8. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

I drink them but I drink the go-lean protien powder with milk so I control the sugar. i couldn't believe how much Boost had.

9. becky5

becky5 Guest

I was drinking 3 a day from 28 weeks on. Hard to say whether it is true or not, but I don't think it can hurt!

10. Marie_B

Marie_B Well-Known Member

I read that protein helps keep the placenta healthy and makes the babies grow better. I was taking Whey protein shakes from GNC (less sugar, cheaper and no soy but doesn't taste that great). My babies were good-sized 6'2" and 5'7" considering how tiny I am. I don't think it will hurt to have a a shake or two per day.

11. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

My OB said a lot of protein in the diet will equal big babies. She was telling me to stay in the 80-100 gram range. I think at one point I was going over for a few weeks or so. Maybe a high protein diet will do the trick.

12. erinh56

erinh56 Well-Known Member

Does Boost or Ensure have that "medicinal" taste to it? I thought of trying it...but if it has any hint of that vitamin flavor, I don't think I'll be able to do it.

13. SilvrHeart

SilvrHeart Well-Known Member

QUOTE(erinh56 @ Jul 20 2007, 02:22 PM) [snapback]339174[/snapback]
    Does Boost or Ensure have that "medicinal" taste to it? I thought of trying it...but if it has any hint of that vitamin flavor, I don't think I'll be able to do it.

yes - to me the Boost shakes did have a strange taste to them. I had to get them super cold and then drink them really fast to get them down. They always made me gag, though. I have no idea about the Ensure shakes - never tried them.

14. 2betterthan1

2betterthan1 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(erinh56 @ Jul 20 2007, 02:22 PM) [snapback]339174[/snapback]

I drink the ensure, but it occasionally makes me sick...especially if I've just eaten... They've actually made me throw up a couple times.... They are kinda watery, not creamy like a real shake...
    Good luck
    Shannon

15. missusbecker

missusbecker Well-Known Member

i was told 80-100 grams of protein a day too. one of our twins has IUGR and dr said to make sure to eat at least 80-100 grams of protein a day to try to help her grow. she suggested 1 cup of cottage cheese in the am (20 grams), turkey or chicken breast sandwich for lunch (20 grams), protein shake for afternoon snack (15 grams) and fish or more meat or tofu for dinner (20 grams). plus all the other things you want to eat during the day will add the last 20 grams somewhere. i am 24 weeks 4 days and have gained about 25 lbs so far.