Protein Shakes

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Jenn79, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Jenn79

Jenn79 Well-Known Member

It seems like many of you have or are drinking protein shakes during your twin pregnancy. Is this something the doctor recommended? What kind/brand do you use? On average how many do you drink a day? Are there any you should stay away from?

TIA!

2. jnholman

jnholman Well-Known Member

This is not Dr recommended, just one of the many that I have tried. I use Body Tech by the Vitamin Shoppe. It dissolves great in water and milk. It tastes great too. I have also used Lean Body and that is good, but has a lot of protein (40g).

You just need to find one that you like.

I have one a day.

Jenn

3. h2believe

h2believe Well-Known Member

My Doc did encourage me to drink Protein drinks.. I use the High Protein Boost drinks and usually have 2-3 of the little bottles a day.

What I've been told to stay away from, is the 'diet' type drinks/shakes like SlimFast. Boost is real yummy and comes in several flavors so it's not so bad!

4. newpairofschus

newpairofschus Well-Known Member

I drink the chocolate Boost. Yum. Not doctor "recommended" per se (only that I get lots o' protein) but doctor approved. The do have a pretty high sugar content, so they may not be for you if you have gestational diabetes issues. Although I did notice that they carry a "glucose control" variety, too. But they are kinda yummy.

Anyway, I usually have one as a mid-morning snack and once in awhile another one mid-afternoon or about 9pm. Otherwise, I eat a real snack at these times - something high protein like almonds and cheese, etc. I usually reserve the Boost for when I just don't think I can actually EAT something.

Eve

eta: oh yeah - what Heather said about the diet drinks. Anything with any kind of appetite suppressant or "diet aid" is a big no-no. Look for a nutritional supplement, not a diet drink.

5. roadtocalvary

roadtocalvary Well-Known Member

I actually am drinking the walmart version of Boost Plus.. in chocolate flavor.. I hate the vanilla, it tastes like sweetened condensed milk! I am drinking them to help put weight on the babies. I don't gain alot of weight during my pregnancies and now that we are in recovery mode of TTTS, we need weight on these babies incase they come early!!!

6. kymbahlee

kymbahlee Well-Known Member

I bought whey protein powder in a tub. You can mix it in with anything, it's cheaper and doesn't have the sugar premized drinks have ......until I mix in the choc syrup!

7. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I liked the Chocolate boost and liked them really cold or even in the freezer. :good:

8. Jenn79

Jenn79 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(roadtocalvary @ Feb 27 2009, 02:48 PM) [snapback]1208309[/snapback]
    I actually am drinking the walmart version of Boost Plus.. in chocolate flavor..

Do you know if the grams of sugar are higher/lower/same as the actual Boost Plus?

Thank you ladies for all your input. Has anyone tried the Strawberry flavor? My husband is going to the store and I told him to pick up the Boost in choc. or straw. or both but I haven't seen anyone mention the straw. Is it yucky???

9. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

DS1 (plans to be a personal trainer) recommends soy protein, but says brand is not important because they're all the same thing.

10. roadtocalvary

roadtocalvary Well-Known Member

The walmart version is the same as Boost Plus.. just cheaper.. I am not a strawberry fan so I couldn't tell you on the taste for that one.

11. flygirlcdh

flygirlcdh Well-Known Member

I like the ensure plus protein chocolate flavor.

12. CarleyWC

CarleyWC Well-Known Member

I am only 13 weeks but have hard time eating any protein, COMPLETE aversion to meat, fish, etc. Never before but now that there are twins in me whaaallaaa!!
    So protein powder from health food section, vanilla flavor, adding banana, Costco sells bags of "smoothie" fruits, so 2 cups of frozen strawberries or other frozen fruit, a yogurt, some milk or orange juice and I'm good to go. It's just a really good way to fill me up, make sure I'm getting my protein, and taking care of one snack in all too many snacks needed day!!!!
    Goes down well.
    I want to start juicing vegetables. I can eat salads until midnight but they don't fill me up for long, maybe i could get more good stuff in wth the juice. WHo knows.

Who knew that feeding ourselves could take up so much time????
    GOod LUCK!!!!
    my husbands was a personal trainer and he showed me how to make the one above. Except he put more honey and actually a couple teaspoons of sugar in( I could do without).