protein shakes, power bars safe?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by twinreverb, Jan 25, 2008.

1. twinreverb

twinreverb Well-Known Member

Everything I was told and read said due to the additives, herbs, and sugar supplements in these products not to eat or drink these items while pregnant but I have notice a lot of people suggesting or using these as protein/iron supplements... did your doctor suggest these items and if so which brands are safe. God knows I would rather drink a shake than eat a steak. :)

paige

2. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

I was told I could drink an Ensure or Boost protein drinks.

3. erinkontos

erinkontos Well-Known Member

Although it is no substitution for a healthy diet, I know there were days when I could not even look at meat and could get a shake down...especially in the beginning. I always took my prenatal vitamins and tried to eat tons of fruits/veggies, but I had trouble w/ some protein. So I did drink the shakes a few times a week during the first two trimesters and during the third if I was in a huge rush or waiting at the DR for hours. ;-)

4. jenanne

jenanne Well-Known Member

I drink the Boosts...earlier on I looked into the powders that you can throw into shakes and almost all had artificial sweetners which I didn't want. I finally found a healthy one and it tasted so nasty I just couldn't do it. The boosts are expensive but I try to drink one a day lately (since I'm a bit worried about one babies' growth). I was also adding Instant Breakfast to a glass of milk for extra protein. I can't say I ran either of these by my OB but I see a lot of women here drink them.

5. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

My peri suggested Boost, Ensure, and Carnation Instant Breakfast. This was for helping to combat our TTTS problems. One of those (I totally can't remember which one) has a lot of soy though so I stayed away from that because soy has a lot of estrogen like qualities.

6. jkendall

jkendall Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Ali M @ Jan 27 2008, 01:49 AM) [snapback]591516[/snapback]
    My peri suggested Boost, Ensure, and Carnation Instant Breakfast. This was for helping to combat our TTTS problems. One of those (I totally can't remember which one) has a lot of soy though so I stayed away from that because soy has a lot of estrogen like qualities.

I drink the Carnation ones as well. They taste the best to me (but they don't have as much protein as some of the other protein drinks). I have myoplex lights too (I think they have about 20 grams of protein). Those taste a lot like the Carnation instant breakfast. My OB never told me either way whether it was a good or bad thing, but I only drink about one per day. They really help me when I get hungry in the middle of the night and want something quick.