problems in school.......

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by jen, Feb 15, 2008.

1. jen

jen Well-Known Member

HELLO, I HAVE 6 1/2 ALMOST 7 YEAR OLD BOYS AND ONE OF THEM ( LUKE ), IS HAVING A REALLY HARD TIME IN SCHOOL WITH READING. HE IS VERY BEHIND, HE DOES NOT KNOW ALL HIS LETTERS BY SIGHT OR SOUND, HE CAN IDENTIFY THEM FOR THE MOST PART BY THERE ANIMAL ( MONNISORI , i.e HONEY HORSE (H) ). HE IS STARTING TO GET VERY FRUSTRATED LATELY, HIS CONFRENCE IS TO BE MONDAY AND I AM GOING TO MAKE A POINT TO DISCUSS THE ISSUE. I DO NOT WANT HIM TO FALL BEHIND SO BAD, I THINK IT WOULD CAUSE MORE PROBLEM IF HE WERE TO BE HELD BACK AND HAVE PEOPLE SAY " YOU'RE A TWIN, BUT YOU'RE NOT IN THE SAME GRADE" WE ALL KNOW HOW SOME KIDS CAN GET.
    ANY SUGGESTIONS, IDEAS, ANYONE WITH THE SAME PROBLEM, EITHER NOW OR IN THE PAST?? JEFF AND I ARE WORKING WITH HIM AT HOME AS MUCH AS WE CAN.

2. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

The first thing I would do is ask for a reading tutor at school. Also, I'm not too familiar with Montessori, but from what I've heard from friends whose children go there, it's fairly unstructured, isn't it? Maybe he would benefit from more structured concentration on reading.

And this might sound silly, but I recommend the Leap Frog Letter Factory/Word Factory videos. My boys learned their letters and sounds in a matter of days from them!

Good luck to you!

3. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Jen, you may want to re-evaluate where he is at school, as Amy suggests and look into the public schools. If he doesn't know the letter/sound relationships yet, I would do a couple of things. First, start with the Leap Frog videos/products. The second is to see if a tutor can help. And the 3rd is to look into an evaluation for a learning disability. The public school will do an eval for free, if you want to stay with Montessori, look for a private eval--the downside is it can cost upwards of $500. At least with an eval, you will know where you stand. If he does have an LD, Montessori probably isn't the best place for him, since it isn't structured, and he would have to be motivated to try, and if he is struggling, he will probably avoid exersizes that help him learn to read.

Good luck. Feel free to PT me if you want to talk more specifically.

4. Ecobuddy

Ecobuddy New Member

Hey there,

Ironically, I found this sight in the process of searching for help with my youngest twin son who is in first grade and struggling. I just got off the phone with his teacher, and unless we can make significant process in the next few months, he may need to repeat. His twin as well as his elder sister are also in 1st grade (separate classes), so to be left behind may be emotionally/psychologically devastating. He has plateaued in his reading, and is suffering from a lack of self-confidence. He has made virtually no progress in any area within the last month. If he doesn't have the answer right away he shuts down and/or gets visibly upset. He is a silent sufferer, so no tantrums, but tears nonetheless. He is a very young 1st grader, as his birthday is only 2 weeks shy of the cut-off date. So it may be a maturity issue, as was his sister's who had to repeat kindergarten when she showed similar behaviour. His twin, on the other hand, is in the top of his class in reading, having even surpassed his older sister in this skill. Every child is different, and twins should never be lumped together, but its difficult to see one doing so well with infinite ease, when the other is struggling to just get by.

I don't have the answers, but I understand...I am here....let's talk and bounce around ideas....isn't that what forums are for?

Has anyone else had to deal with grade separation of twin sibs? Would love feedback of any sort.

Thanks

5. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

I agree with the others on the tutoring as well. And the recommendation for the Letter/Word Factory is great too. My 2 year old can identify every letter and sound because of that movie. She watches it all the time, it is her favorite.

6. mrsmoon

mrsmoon Well-Known Member

My oldest DS was going very bad in reading. His teacher this year recommended special reading classes and the teachers have one on one time with him daily. He is doing wonderful now with his reading. We got him those level one reading books and read with him every night. Also, I had him tested to see what his IQ was and everything. They recommended ADHD meds and we started them this week. Maybe your son can't pay attention long enough to learn it? I know my son is very forgetful.

7. jen

jen Well-Known Member

I TALKED TO HIS TEACHER AT CONFENCES MONDAY. SHE SAID THEY HAVE TO TEST 2 GRADES BELOW????? WHICH MAKES NO SINCE , BEING THAT HE IS ONLY IN 1ST GRADE. WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR WHEN HE IS EVEN FURTHER BEHIND. HOWEVER WE CAN NOT AFFORD PRIVATE TUTORING. WE ARE DOING OUR BEST. THEY ALSO DO MATH ON THE COMPUTER, SHE SAID THAT HE IS NOT THE WORST........ I LOOKED AT THE RESULTS AND WAS HAPPY TO SEE THAT HE HAD 27 OUT OF 30 CORRECT, HOWEVER THEY ARE TIMED, 4MIN, AND HIS WAS 9MIN.

8. sharongl

Jen, there is some truth in the testing 2 grades below, but that is just a part of it. That makes it sound as though they think he has a learning disability. To qualify as learning disabled, a child needs to score 20 standard score points below their IQ score, which is generally 2 grades behind. BUT they can still test him in first grade, and he can show as pre-K level, or use an age equivilent. Most children with Learning Disabilities (LD) aren't identified until they are in 3rd grade for that reason. But I do know children who have tested for LD younger.

This is what you can do: call the special ed department at the school, tell them you want to self-refer him for testing, and give concrete examples why--especially that he doesn't "know" all his letters. Ask them where to send the letter. They have 30 days to respond and set up a meeting where you give consent for evaluation, and the needed evaluations are discussed. From that point they have 60 days to complete testing him, and have another meeting where you decide if he qualifies, and what services he will get. Based on what you have said, I wouldn't be surprised if he does qualify.

Please feel free to ask any questions. Many regular ed teachers, especially ones in K and 1st, really don't know how to deal with LD, because they rarely see it in their classrooms, and don't get all the nuances of testing.

9. jen

jen Well-Known Member

well, the Dr. refered to Ken-o-Sha for eval. boy nothing like jumping hoops to get this done early. I received a letter the other day that Luke will be tested, per request. I will call the school soon if I do not hear anything.

10. sharongl

Jen, even though you are frustrated by the process, I am glad you are finally going forward!

Please feel free to ask if you have any questions about/during the eval process!

11. jakeandpeytonsmommy

jakeandpeytonsmommy Well-Known Member

As a 2nd grade teacher, I can tell you I have MANY kids who are reading at least 2 grade levels below. It is frustrating for all involved, mostly the kid!
    Have you ever tried www.starfall.com It is a great reading website and is free. My students love it!
    I would push for an evaluation if you can, and get him the help now. PM me if you need any help!