Probably a dumb question - about pee!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by amazedits2, Nov 23, 2006.

1. amazedits2

amazedits2 Well-Known Member

Hi there. My boys are in separate cribs now and the last few days that I have gone in to get them I have noticed an odd sugary odor from Adam's crib. It almost smells like maple syrup (weird, I know).

The only difference between what they both eat/drink is that he is on Zantac and his brother isn't - could it be coming from the drug? I have been doing massage on both everynight with lotion, but it is the same lotion for both. They both eat the same food out of the same bowl.

I changed and washed their bedding yesterday (just to be sure I wasn't going crazy) and the smell was there again this morning.

Any thoughts (even if it is to just tell me I am whacked! [​IMG]) would be appreciated.

Tammy

2. amazedits2

amazedits2 Well-Known Member

Hi there. My boys are in separate cribs now and the last few days that I have gone in to get them I have noticed an odd sugary odor from Adam's crib. It almost smells like maple syrup (weird, I know).

The only difference between what they both eat/drink is that he is on Zantac and his brother isn't - could it be coming from the drug? I have been doing massage on both everynight with lotion, but it is the same lotion for both. They both eat the same food out of the same bowl.

I changed and washed their bedding yesterday (just to be sure I wasn't going crazy) and the smell was there again this morning.

Any thoughts (even if it is to just tell me I am whacked! [​IMG]) would be appreciated.

Tammy

3. Ange2k25

Ange2k25 Well-Known Member

Medication can effect the smell of urine. K and J were both on Zantac and their urine did smell differently when they were on it than it does now that they are off it.

HTH,

Angela

4. axpan

axpan Well-Known Member

if i were you i would check with the dr. some smells are associated with infections etc. they also might be metabolizing something they're eating in a differnt way. have you added anything new to their diet? i'm sure that's not the case and it probably is the medicine but why not check anyway?

5. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Are you nursing? Maple syrup is a common smell if nursing mother are taking fenugreek to help their supply. Just a thought.

6. Stephe

Stephe Guest

quote:
    Originally posted by MNTwinSquared:
    Are you nursing? Maple syrup is a common smell if nursing mother are taking fenugreek to help their supply. Just a thought.

I was just about to post the same thing! I took Fenugreek when I was still nursing and the Maple Syrup smell was strong! I could smell it coming out of my pores, uck. If you are taking it maybe that is where his smell is coming from?

7. Tony Hooker

Tony Hooker Well-Known Member

Sweet smelling urine is one possible indicator of Diabetes.

It may be a symptom of a dozen other things, I'm not sure, so don't be certain it is diabetes...

Google also turned this up about maple syrup urine disease (MSUD)

http://www.drgreene.com/21_1520.html

Yes, I know that last one sounds like a Joke, but really, its not.

8. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I was going to say the same thing about fenugreek. I don't know why it would affect one baby and not the other, though.

9. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

You could always call your pedi and see what s/he says. It could be any number of reasons, best to be safe. [​IMG]